Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello everyone my name is Danny. My grandfather rode motorcycles for the NYPD in the 50's-70's. (It was PDNYC back then). I am looking to buy and restore an early 60's police special to NYC police specs. If anyone has any leads or info I would be grateful. This forum is a great resource and I am lucky to have found it. AMCA # 14888

Wecome aboard Danny. I'm locted in Hoboken. Bob
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Welcome ////////////
      Jeff Bowles
      Arkansas
      Membership # 14023
      1957 Sportster

Comment

Originally posted by PDNYC View Post
        Hello everyone my name is Danny. My grandfather rode motorcycles for the NYPD in the 50's-70's. (It was PDNYC back then). I am looking to buy and restore an early 60's police special to NYC police specs. If anyone has any leads or info I would be grateful. This forum is a great resource and I am lucky to have found it. AMCA # 14888
        Hey Danny,

i use to own a 1952 PDNYC Indian. maybe your Grandfather rode it??? i believe it is for sale if you want it.
        CHIEFJ48
        MEMBER #2786

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD.

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Comment

I have a HD 63FL from Kansas. Don't know if NY used HD or Indian for the years you are looking for. If it is HD, also do not know if they used HD bags or aftermarket PD boxes like are on mine.

Email me at dstrieter@patriotenvironmental.com if you want photos. The ones I have are too large for this site to upload.

Good Luck! Dale

Comment

Dale I sent you a pm. If you'd like I'll post them for you.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

PDNYC used Indians till they went out of business in 1953, and started buying Harleys around 1957. i'm not sure if they were '57, or '58 models. if i remember correctly they were silver in color, but you would have to double check that.
              CHIEFJ48
              MEMBER #2786

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Comment

Originally posted by chiefj48 View Post
                PDNYC used Indians till they went out of business in 1953, and started buying Harleys around 1957. i'm not sure if they were '57, or '58 models. if i remember correctly they were silver in color, but you would have to double check that.
                So ya think those '53 Indians lasted 4-5 years?
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                  So ya think those '53 Indians lasted 4-5 years?
                  i'm not sure, but the reseach i had done seems to point in that direction. i know my '52 was in service till 1960 when it was sold at auction, along with 5 others. Otto Link purchased 6 PDNYC Indians from the NYPD in 1960, and the VIN's were ALL in numerical order. the complete story about this is in the May 2001 Issue of AMERICAN IRON.
                  CHIEFJ48
                  MEMBER #2786

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, my grandfather made it to Motorcycle Precinct # 2 in 1951, he rode the Indians untill the mid fifties. Here is an early photo of a 56 or 57 red Harley. As chiefj pointed out, they went to police silver around 57 or 58. In 73 when the cars changed from black/white/and green to blue; the bikes changed as well.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is a photo of my grandfather from the late 60's. He is sitting on a 1961 flf that has been stripped and was most likely sold soon after.
                      Attached Files

Comment

great pictures of your grandfather!!! so i guess he worked in brooklyn @ motorcycle precinct 2? i had a few friends there while researching my PDNYC #163. my bike had gold leaf lettering, which i was told meant it belonged to a supervisor. i was FDNY, and had quite a few NYPD friends. where are you working?? do you know Steven Stefiknokus (sp) from ESU?
                        CHIEFJ48
                        MEMBER #2786

Comment

Originally posted by PDNYC View Post
                          Here is an early photo of a 56 or 57 red Harley.
                          That bike is way before 56 or 57. I'd guess it's a 53 ... Perry

Comment

I'm guessing a '54 Perry. I notice the horn power pack between the cylinders, and it has the single rear fender trim strip.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by Perry Ruiter View Post
                              That bike is way before 56 or 57. I'd guess it's a 53 ... Perry
                              OK so than I guess when they stopped producing Indians in '53, the PD switched right over to red Harleys.

Comment

Working...
                              X