• Show
Clear All

Hi Cory,

No problem. Thanks for your kind words.
    Jerry Hatfield

Comment

Barry thank you for sharing !!

Comment

I think Maldwyn Jones was the most interesting of the early racers. Aside from being an extreamly successful winning racer he was a gifted and creative engineer. He knew everyone in motorcycling from the early days and then retired from racing to work for Schebler formulating carburetors the big 3. His knowledge of motorcycles had to rival anyone you can think of. I sure wish he was around today to help dial in these early bikes. I recall reading a letter from Wells Bennet, written late in his life, to Ted Hodgden in which he said that he often drempt of his racing days in his youth. It was kind of sad but it had to be fantastic to have had the experiences. I'm sure it must have been that way for Maldwyn Jones too.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Yes indeed, Maldwyn had a knack for making things "work". His first Merkel "U" model racer was only the beginning of an amazing career in motorcycles. I'm wondering Jerry if you've ever considered putting a book together on some of the early boardtrack/dirttrack racer type personalities? Your Rollie Free book was a great work by the way.
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
            O.K. answers can carry on past tonight. I just thought I'd quiz the early race fans. How many racers can you name and what year and where was this picture taken?

O.K. it's been enough days and I wanted to post an answer......

So if anyone is interested, we've already established that it's Dodge City,1920. From left to right are Bill Ottoway, Maldwyn Jones, Ralph Hepburn, Fred Ludlow, Otto Walker, Ray Weishaar, Jim Davis and the guy on the right is mechanic Hank Syvertstein.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
            X