Thursday Night Quiz!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday Night Quiz!!!

O.K. answers can carry on past tonight. I just thought I'd quiz the early race fans. How many racers can you name and what year and where was this picture taken?

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

86 views and not one guess? Come on fellas we can take this past lastnight. There's no time limit. Not even a guess on one or two of these fellas? Two of them should at least jump out to any old race enthusiast. These were exciting times with extra exciting characters. If no one responds, I'll continue to give a hint or two until somebody steps up to bat!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

I have this picture in a book but I'll guess the one's I think I know from memory. Starting at the left, Ottaway, M. Jones, R. Hepburn(?), P. Anderson, O. Walker, and I don't know the rest, if I even knew the first guys I named. It's interesting to note the 3rd guy from the right holding the fox. I have seen racers holding a pig, dogs, a raccoon, and the fox and H-D believes because one guy held a pig that is where the term "hog" came from.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Four out of five! That ain't bad....... Paul Anderson isn't pictured here however. The fella on the far right...I don't expect many to know him as he was a mechanic. Eric, check out the fella second on the right. Have a good look. I'm sure you'll figure him out. I don't buy the pig "Hog" theory.....
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

isn't the 3rd from left Fred Ludlow ?

Comment

Close Scott.....one more to the right and you got yer man..... It's definitely getting narrowed down! exeric got the third from left correct.
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

2nd from the right is Jim Davis. He actually pulled an old shoebox full of photos out when I visited him in 1992 and gave me a few including this one which he autographed. I had written all the names on the back and the location but have forgotten and the picture has gone to a more appropriate collector! I think it was a race at Marion Indiana? The reason I was visiting Jim was to have an original painting autographed and of course just to meet the man. A wonderful experience it was. I'll post a few pics of the painting etc. if there is any interest.

Comment

HERE IT IS , INTEREST OR NOT!

Comment

Any interest? Are you kidding? That's awesome stuff! I believe the answer to the where and when of the photo is at the bottom of that great painting of yours! Thanks for contributing to this thread! I bet it was quite the experience to sit down and have a conversation with Jim Davis! Pretty cool stuff Barry! Did you pass on all the pictures he gave you?
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

You bet, very interesting!
                    Check out the windscreen, and I notice the puttees, too.

Comment

From what I understand Jim Davis was more of a gentleman racer than some of the other rough and tumbles of the day. He was a little more financially secure and was in it for the fun! Great subject for a painting by the way Barry. It's a great way to hold onto a little piece of history.

It was in 1916 that Indian approached Jim to race for them but I believe he was only 14 at the time and rules stated that you had to be sixteen. Here's how he handled it and got in the race. From a quote from The Antique Motorcycle Fall 1986. When asked how old he was by a suspicious judge here was his answer................

"The referee asked me, 'How old are you?

"I said, 'I'm eighteen.'

"He said, 'I don't believe you are.'

"I said, 'Well, there's my Dad over there. Go over and ask him.'

"My Dad said to him, 'How old did he say he was?'

"He told me he was eighteen.'

"Well, that's how old he is.' "

Great stuff eh?

The young'un proved he could ride alright....

Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Eric, thinkin' of your comment about the fella with the critter in his arms got me to digging. Here's a shot of Maldwyn Jones with what looks like the same animal. I guess it was The Wrecking Crew's mascot. I wild coyote pup.....

Maldwyn is one of my favorite characters from yesteryear and here's a great shot of him burning through a turn on his Merkel framed Harley powered single..... awesome stuff!!!

Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

I'm glad to see these Jim Davis quotes on this website. These quoted remarks are from my recorded interview with Jim, and were published in my 1986 AMCA article. Hence the quotations are my intellectual property. These quoted remarks may not be used in any for-pay publication without my prior consent.
                          Jerry Hatfield

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Hatfield View Post
                            These quoted remarks may not be used in any for-pay publication without my prior consent.
                            Jerry,
                            I didn't know you were into fore-play.
                            Be sure to visit;
                            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Jerry, I should apologize for not mentioning that it was your article when I put the quote in. You did a great thing by having the foresight to do such interviews and research while there was still time to do it. Your series on Jim Davis and Maldwyn Jones were a pleasure to read.
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X