No announcement yet.

Market price of OEM parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

doesn't sound too bad for that. new old stock always is nice . try making a replica and see how far you get and what it looks like.

Comment

Yes....It was a good deal for the winner. I paid half that for a beat up Russian front one.

Comment

Of course... of course... I made the comment out of context! I was being simply ironic to those days you could get the whole bike for that money...

Comment

From the South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Vintage motorcycles aging like fine wines
          Prices for decades-old bikes soaring despite recession

By Susan Carpenter | Tribune Newspapers
          July 12, 2009
          They leak, shake, rattle and spark — and sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The rarest of rare vintage motorcycles, these decades-old machines are challenging to start and difficult to ride. Yet they are becoming more expensive despite the down economy.

For years, ultraobscure bikes such as a 1936 Crocker Twin or a 1907 Curtiss V-8 were collected by a handful of moneyed gearheads. They had such deep appreciation for the designs and temperaments of these machines that they'd use their shins as heat guards, their feet as brake shoes and consider it a deal to pay tens of thousands of dollars.

Now they're paying six figures, prices that are rising even as the market for new motorcycles is tanking.

A sputtering stock market has investors putting their money into hard goods, a weak dollar that's drawing European buyers and vintage-car collectors.

"Good machines have been performing well over the last few years, and prices are still on the ascent," said Mark Osborne, head of the motorcycle and motorcars division at Bonhams & Butterfields. Osborne noted that the most expensive bike ever sold through the English auction house, a $383,400 supercharged Vincent Black Shadow, was sold in October as the economy was diving.

"We put it down to the fact that people like to buy something that they can touch, smell and enjoy," he said. "They can get out and use these things. It's not like paper held in a bank that's sort of disappearing on a daily basis."

In August, the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in California will include motorcycles for the first time in its 59 years.

"I've been with the concours almost 25 years, and I don't think there's been a year that's gone by that somebody hasn't requested a motorcycle class," said Sandra Kasky Button, event chairwoman.

The market for new motorcycles is down 30 percent this year, according to the Motorcycle Industry Council. And sales of high-production vintage bikes such as Harley-Davidson panheads from the '50s, '60s-era Triumph Bonnevilles or '70s Honda CB750s have likewise softened.

But prices for cycles from older, more obscure manufacturers have risen dramatically. Prices for Crocker, a marque from the '30s known to have produced a mere 39 bikes, have quadrupled in five years. Others bringing in top dollar include British manufacturer Vincent, original-condition bikes from pre- World War II American manufacturers and anything with a racing pedigree.

The Vincent Gunga Din crashed in defeat by racer George Brown in 1948 could bring more than $200,000 at Pebble Beach.

"The factory race bikes, these seem to be the bikes that get people's attention and seem to draw the most amount of money right now," said Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum Executive Director Jeff Ray.

The Alabama museum, which owns 1,100 motorcycles, is on the hunt for more.

"There's a saying in collecting motorcycles: 'You never pay too much, you just buy too soon.' If a 1915 Harley-Davidson twin was offered 10 years ago at $150,000, people would have thrown rocks at the guy and told him he'd lost his mind. Well, one just sold for $165,000 in January," Ray said. "We're putting our hands in our pockets and standing on the sidelines and watching."

scarpenter@tribune.com

Comment

This one looks nice...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...T#ht_500wt_938

Comment

Originally posted by Chris in Japan View Post
              It has some issues. The sellers statement that all the date codes are correct is hogwash and there were no date codes on the 1936 EL.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                It has some issues. The sellers statement that all the date codes are correct is hogwash and there were no date codes on the 1936 EL.
                He has also a 47 running on eBay and the final phrase is identical... I guess it is standard! However this is no justification for a +50k$ bike!!!

Comment

I sold a basketcase '36 to a friend for 15G's who put it together and sold it for $90,000.00.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                    I sold a basketcase '36 to a friend for 15G's who put it together and sold it for $90,000.00.
                    90k!!! I am almost sure that bike was sold here in Japan... I saw 70k Knuckles with adapted 12v systems and other atrocities! Everything is so overprices here...

But to defend the Japs, when originality is not longer an issue, is also here where I saw the most beautiful customized Knuckles and Pans. Detail, taste and functionality to exquisite levels! And every day runners.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1007wt_948

Comment

Market price of OEM parts

That may establish the market price for early original paint pans but still seems like a bargin compared to knuckle prices. That was a Virginia bike and since I live in Virginia it would have been nice to have seen it stay here especially with the sweathers and scrap book and stuff that went with it but too rich for me even with 5 knuckles among others in my garage. That was a sweet deal from a historical perspective and it looked pretty much all there and correct with a ton of patina and cool stuff to boot! I say congratulations and well bought!!!

Rollo
                        AMCA #12766

Comment

Well as long as the buyer is happy I guess alls well I guess I shouldve kept all my original paint pans !!! Its just to bad most common people will never be able to touch these wonderful running machines !!

Comment

And your point? I loving every minute of this. The thought of some fag hair stylist offering me $70,000 clams for my 48 so he can get screwed makes me drool. Three years on azt and I'll buy it back for three cents on the dollar.
                            AMCA #3149
                            http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

1914 Henderson Model C – Motorcycle Investments

by Paul Crowe - "The Kneeslider" on 8/19/2009

in Motorcycle Auctions, Vintage Motorcycles

1914 Henderson Model C

Have any of you been following the eBay auction for the 1914 Henderson? As I write, the price is $101,100 and the reserve has not been met! Oh baby. This could get interesting, I haven’t seen any auctions hit this territory for, … well, … I can’t remember when.

As many have watched their 401k portfolios shrink, hard assets can sometimes do wonderful things. Do not construe this as investment advice of any kind and we’ve discussed this hot button topic before at some length, but if you have some spare funds available, it’s not the worst thing to put your money in

Comment

Not on e-bay yet, but look for it soon.
                                http://youngstown.craigslist.org/mcy/1317370755.html
                                ------------
                                Steve
                                AMCA #7300

Comment

Working...
                                X