Grip.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grip.......

Can anyone offhand tell me what year this grip may be? It's got Harley-Davidson still barely visible in the rubber....

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
    Can anyone offhand tell me what year this grip may be? It's got Harley-Davidson still barely visible in the rubber....
    Depending on the bike 48/49 to 52/53 ... Perry
    Last edited by Perry Ruiter; 04-25-2009, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks Perry..... It came off my 45. Somebody shoe-horned it on at some point.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

A 1954 and up grip will have a hole in the end, but otherwise, be identical. The style you have Cory, is a bit tough to find. Don't cut them off.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Thanks for the response Eric....... I'm gonna take 'em off real delicate like. I kinda like them!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

I didn't mean to imply that you would cut them off Cory. I'm the only dope I know that has cut grips off.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Eric, I didn't notice any such implication, I appreciate any advice I can get. Oh, and no you are not the only dope to cut grips off.......
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Guess I am in good company................
                Chuck
                AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Chuck........I think we all take our little steps and go through the motions to get to a higher plain.......gotta keep that knowledge base flowing.... I'm glad I joined this club it's got great folks that are willing to help a guy through his roadblocks. I've certainly learned a lot thus far.........got a long way to go though....
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

i cut the original spokes out of my wla wheels with bolt cutters one of the guys i was working with at the time said did you try to unscrew them? nah thier stuck . he unscrewed all 80 of the nipples right in front of me.
                    rob ronky #10507
                    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                      i cut the original spokes out of my wla wheels with bolt cutters one of the guys i was working with at the time said did you try to unscrew them? nah thier stuck . he unscrewed all 80 of the nipples right in front of me.
                      Gives a feller a real "smart" feeling don't it? Been there.......
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Well......the grips came off easy enough.... but look what I found underneath... no caps and the guts are corroded in.......more fun!!! I love old bikes!!! Why am I sharing all this stuff......I don't know....it's snowing and I'm bored sittin' at the computer I guess!

Last edited by c.o.; 04-26-2009, 12:31 PM.
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

I used a heat gun to get my 1950 grips off. They are white and I'm looking for black. the ones I have are in pretty good shape for 1950 just like black better. also am removing the rivits from the white floor boards and going to find some black ones
                          Moose
                          aka Glenn

Comment

Glenn......I just pried the grip back a little bit and poured some dish soap in. Then I took an old worn out phillips and turned it around inside the grip and they popped right off.... but that's the least of my troubles.... can someone explain to this dummy how the internals come out? Yes.....Chris I did look in the book.... The pics above show that there was some corrosion on the spiral ends and I hand dressed them with a file to clean it all up, but everything is still pretty solid. What am I missing here? Thanks in advance for any suggestions and for the patience to read these amateur posts!

Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

The last picture you posted is of the 'springer' spiral and plunger assembly. What you took off your bike are 1949 and later spirals. Is the plunger assembly still in your handlebars?
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X