No announcement yet.

Grip.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

arrrggghh....looks like I got more mix-matched parts than I thought! Good thing this bike is only going to be a rider! Nope, there's nothing in the bars.... My parts list is getting big again and I was hoping to make some of what I had work..... thanks for helping me figure out what I have Eric.. I appreciate your input.

This is all I got........back to the catalogs I guess......

Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

check and see if the little set screws are in the handle bars it holds the metal retainer in the bars look real close they are hard to see but at my age everything is hard to see
      Moose
      aka Glenn

Comment

Cory, just let me know what you need for these bars as I have a lot of those small bits. The slider pin is the same part number as one of Harley's roller bearings! They might have taken a page out of Henry Ford's book on that one. The story is that Henry ordered the batteries he bought be shipped in specific sized wooden crates exactly what he needed for model T floorboards. I doubt it is true but makes a good story. No, I am not wandering... this is parking lot chatter not technical info right?

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
          check and see if the little set screws are in the handle bars it holds the metal retainer in the bars look real close they are hard to see but at my age everything is hard to see
          The screws are there.......but that's all.....thanks for your input Glenn!!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
            Cory, just let me know what you need for these bars as I have a lot of those small bits. The slider pin is the same part number as one of Harley's roller bearings! They might have taken a page out of Henry Ford's book on that one. The story is that Henry ordered the batteries he bought be shipped in specific sized wooden crates exactly what he needed for model T floorboards. I doubt it is true but makes a good story. No, I am not wandering... this is parking lot chatter not technical info right?
            That is a cool story Barry.....wander all you want! I'm starting to think I should have posted this in a tech thread, but it's here now! Once I figure out exactly what I have I'll figure out a list of stuff I need, thanks for considering on helping me out with the small bits. Here's a couple shots...one of the spiral and one of the bars. Can I make this combo work? I was thinking I may have to get the springer spirals and internals.....I do have cables though..... is there much of a difference between the cables through the years? I got a parts book on order.....that'll probably reduce my question load quite a bit. I got this little orphan 45 off a hot rod guy awhile back. It was just sitting in the corner of his shop collecting dust. I figured I'd rescue it and use it for my rider for now. As I looked closer at it when I got home I realized it was going to take quite a bit of work to make it reliable enough to use on a regular basis. After some fartin' around with the motor it now runs pretty sweet...with a large part due to a certain carb guy that frequents this forum! But I'm still here with a boat load of questions and you fellas continue to amaze me with all the help I've gotten so far! Have I mentioned that I think this club is awesome? Thanks again!!

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

What year is your bike Cory ?
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

Cory,
                The grip sleeves you show WILL work with those bars. the bars pictured are the last generation of 45/Servi-Car bars and use those -49 part number controls. So at least part of it is compatible!
                Robbie
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                  What year is your bike Cory ?
                  Well Eric.....the motor is a '42, but I'm really starting to wonder about the rest of it! Mr. Ruiter just cleared up what I need for parts and assembly...Nice guy eh?
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Rub View Post
                    Cory,
                    The grip sleeves you show WILL work with those bars. the bars pictured are the last generation of 45/Servi-Car bars and use those -49 part number controls. So at least part of it is compatible!
                    Robbie

No kidding! Thanks for the bar identification Robbie, at least I'm starting to figure out what I've got here......
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                      A 1954 and up grip will have a hole in the end, but otherwise, be identical. The style you have Cory, is a bit tough to find. Don't cut them off.
                      Holy Cow Eric you weren't kidding........... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-4...1%7C240%3A1318
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

OK, speaking of grips - - - has anyone heard of "Fox Grip"? They make a pretty decent repop closed-end grip for $35. Not NOS, but "pretty decent repop".

Comment

The proprieter of Fox Grip has passed on. I don't know if the family will be continuing the business.
                          Be sure to visit;
                          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I've bought from Fox Grip in the past but haven't heard much about them lately. They used to set up at Wauseon. The couple that ran the booth were both getting up there in years. They had a large catalog of grips and mats. I hope they're still doing business because I'm hoping they make the open end gray colored grip for early Harleys.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

I didn't know that Chris. He seemed like a nice old gent.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

J&P Cycle in their new catalog, page 819 has a set of 'waffle' style grips with the small holes that are 'MADE in USA'.

Can't say if they would fit early bars or could be adapted or would even be an acceptable 'Correct' replacement, but its nice to see an 'American Made' grip.

I'm ordering the set of ribbed or 'Jackhammer' grips for my 'Ironhead' Sportster.

Hrdly

Comment

Working...
                                X