• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the same plating just aged

www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
      Look at the photo of the real one and only engine. Everything isn't bright polish and plated as it is on the fantasy engine.
      Chris, do you have to find fault with everyone's work or posts? Over half your posts are negative.

The motor looks great, Jurrassic!!!

Comment

The motor does look beautiful. It just doesn't look correct. Nickel wash is not bright. It is dull. Most people will take parts to a plating shop and ask to have them nickle plated. They wind up with a bright shiny part. Nickle plating is a different thing than nickle wash. If you look at factory photos of early bikes you will see that the plating is a combination of bright and dull nickel. It is not all bright.
        Is it negative to point out something that is incorrect? Isn't this a forum for learning? If someone is restoring a bike and showing photos here and something is being done wrong wouldn't the correct thing to do is to point it out to them before the judges do? If an incorrect restoration is pictured isn't there a chance that someone else doing one would think it is correct and copy what has been done?
        If 50% of my posts are negative then I guess I am evenly balanced.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

HERE IS THAT ONLY KNOWN ORIGINAL ENGINE IN A NON ORIGINAL CHASSIS . THE LONG TIME OWNER ON THE LEFT MILBY JONES WITH THE NEW OWNER AT OLEY A FEW YEARS AGO. BRAD WILMARTH CREATED THE "PATINATION" ON THE CYCLE PARTS , A GUARANTEE THAT FUTURE GENERATIONS WILL BE PERPLEXED AS TO WHAT IS AUTHENTIC.

Comment

BRAD DID A BEAUTIFUL JOB HARMONIZING THE LOOK OF THE CHASSIS WITH THE ORIGINAL ENGINE. MILBY DID TELL ME THE HANDLEBARS WERE ORIGINAL, HE WAS VERY UPSET WHEN MIKE LANGE TOLD HIM REPOPS WERE GOING TO BE MADE WHETHER MILBY LOANED HIS ENGINE FOR COPYING OR NOT. SO I AM CURIOUS ABOUT WHO DID THE PATTERN WORK, ALL THIS REPOPPPING HERE AND THERE CAN MAKE YOUR HEAD SPIN.

Comment

"LAST LAP NEWARK"

Comment

"LAST LAP NEWARK"

Comment

okay if you guys really want to talk about correctness and originality then i got over 6 six years of research to back it up

Comment

original motor ,repo chassis

Comment

original 1912 photo of hasha's bike

Comment

notice the difference in the front loop on the frame and the length of the tank,and the overall length of the bike.the tank is nowhere near correct nor is the frame

Comment

repo pedal crank housing

Comment

repo pedal crank housing on the repo frame with original engine

Last edited by jurassic; 02-24-2009, 01:58 AM.

Comment

when the first repo chassis was built i dont think the perfect shot of eddie 's bike above was available ,so many of the existing photos were pretty vague on the pedal crank area.but when steves new book came out with a dead on shot of the bike.we realized what they had used to hold the pedal cranks .it was a little known casting that was used to replace the transmission that was supposed to be finished but wasn't for the 1910 - 11 years..so they made this casting to take the place of the tranny.the original engine bike doesn't have this.actually it was a pretty poor setup for a racer ,but thats how they did it ,and thats how i did it.no one gave me an engine to copy ,i built this engine from photos ,because in my opinion it was the beginning and the end of the history of boardtracking.and a major piece of our history.and if you cant tell the difference between polished and unpolished parts then you need to get off the computer and start building bikes again.

Comment

Lonnie, I for one am blown away by what you are doing, if I had big dough I would be your best customer! Your big base 8 valve is stunning. By the way, where did you get a picture of me for your avatar, that rock was my best restoration but the freakin' judges knocked of points 'cause they said it was 'too round" !

Comment

Working...
                                X