Streck Gas Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by exeric View Post
    I'm straying from Tom Faber's excellent observation to ask a question about Eaton caps. Did H-D offer the Eaton caps in black, and if so, for how many years?
    Palmer's book does not mention black specifically. It does state that "Depending on the year and model, caps may be chromed or painted."

The only other reference to painted caps is for the olive drab military models during WWII.

Here's a link to the book in case you do not have it. This link is the page where the gas cap discussion begins.
    http://books.google.com/books?id=nHJ...sult#PPA266,M1
    Regards,
    Rob Sigond
    AMCA # 1811

Comment

I should have been more specific. . . . . 1948. I have a nice pair of Eaton tall caps with the long knurl but the chrome on my caps is marred and dull. I have painted them black which looks good but I was curious to know if black was ever an option? I know that Indian used painted caps on the 1953 Chief but they were the color of the bike.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

It would appear at least from photos in Palmers book that black painted caps were used on some machines in 44&45. Was also wondering if any one Knows when Eaton changed the way they marked their caps? Most I've seen have the scale weight mark, But have seen at least one that has the name Eaton in a banner through a circle. Anybody Know when those were used?
        Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

bmh, I believe that the logo changed when the tall caps went to short ones in the mid 50s. In the 70s, the tooling must have gotten old, and the logo was barely readable, and the knurl was sloppy.

Chris' tailight deal is much the same as the Stant cap deal, and I'm sure people will continue to call them by the wrong names, because other people actually know what they mean then.

Comment

The cap I made reference to was part of a pair on a set of 48-50 tanks a friend picked up a few years back. Both caps are the tall variety, one marked with the scale weight and one with the banner. The banner is very hard to read as you mention and has defied most attempts to phpotograph.
            Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Brian....When I have trouble getting a good photograph, on small items, from my camera, I put the part on mt scanner bed, gently lower the scanner cover onto the part, and then cover the whole scanner with a cloth, to keep the scanner light in. It works great ! Paps

Comment

http://www.stant.com/

Comment

Thanks Paps, I'll keep that in mind. But unfortunately that won't help here as the hallmark is on the inside tang, directly between two rivets. We even tried getting chalk first and then woodstove soot to stick down in the stamping to get it to show up. The mark is not pressed in very deeply and the surface of the surrounding metal is such that we could still not photograph it, yet you can read it with the naked eye. So at least I know that humans aren't in to much danger of being replaced by their machines yet.
                  Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Working...
                  X