Streck Gas Caps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Streck Gas Caps

I just noticed a mention of "Streck" gas caps on the paint thread, and it sparked me to write this topic.

How many people have heard of Streck gas caps....please raise your hands? ??......

They are a period accessory, tall gas cap, for Knuckleheads, with frosted edges, right? They even appear in period photos.

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the term Streck caps are a "fairy tale" at least from what I can tell. It's just one of those stories, that no one has ever questioned. Sure, they are referred to in "How to restore your HD", so everyone goes on using the term like it is second nature.

Yes, caps like this DO exist. Many of you know I've been selling them for the last 7 or 8 years from the buried stash of Triangle MC in Chicago.
    But "Streck"??? I had the opportunity, while talking to Bruce Palmer, not long ago, to ask him where he got his documentation on the Streck caps. Well, Bruce was stumped. He didn't really remember how that came about, and wondered why I asked. Well, not long ago, I pulled the last container of the gas caps out of storage, which was actually in a cardboard box, with little mini dividers, that was still sealed up, and I noticed a label, that was so dirty you could hardly read it. I promptly cleaned it, and it read "the STANT corp". on the label, and it was addressed directly to Triangle MC in Chicago.

I discussed this with Bruce, and we came to the conclusion that the Streck reference in his book must have been a "typo" for Stant. Upon further investigation, I never found any evidence of a Streck company that made gas caps, or any other accessory ever existed. If someone else CAN, I'd be interested to hear it....I'm still open minded enough to think there could be 2 manufacturers, or Streck could have been a small distributor.

I have had to continue to erroneously refer to them as Streck caps, because, now.....everyone thinks that's what they are, and will "hear none of it" when you tell them they are really Stant caps. Obviously, Stant is still a houshold name for gas, and oil caps for automotive, and was in the early years as well.

Rest assured....they are still a treasured period accessory gas cap, made in the 40s-50s. I just think the record should be set straight on what these really are. This is a really good example of how mis-information can become a "standard" by mistake.

I hope this can make some headway in correcting a piece of history that never happened, because I'm convinced every frosted edge period accessory gas cap I've ever sold have been Stant.

Tom Faber
    Faber Cycle & Machine
    Last edited by fabercycle; 12-07-2008, 03:45 PM.

Tom Faber is one of the truly "Stand Up" guys in our hobby and I hope all the members of this forum will take his opinions to heart--Tom, thanks for your imput--Always--

Comment

Tom ??? I don't know ! I'm still trying to get a few beers out of him . Paps

Comment

Stant gas caps

Great observation and detective work. Thanks for the insight. I love all these angles on our beloved machines histories, and thier original charactors.
        RF.

Comment

Originally posted by fabercycle View Post
          I have had to continue to erroneously refer to them as Streck caps, because, now.....everyone thinks that's what they are, and will "hear none of it" when you tell them they are really Stant caps. Obviously, Stant is still a houshold name for gas, and oil caps for automotive, and was in the early years as well.

Rest assured....they are still a treasured period accessory gas cap, made in the 40s-50s. I just think the record should be set straight on what these really are. This is a really good example of how mis-information can become a "standard" by mistake.

I hope this can make some headway in correcting a piece of history that never happened, because I'm convinced every frosted edge period accessory gas cap I've ever sold have been Stant.

Tom Faber
          Faber Cycle & Machine
          I agree Tom,
          It is just like back in the '70's the nimrods ay Easyriders called the 1939-1946 H-D tail lamps Beehive. Now that is the standard name. When in fact the MoCo called the 1938 and earlier tail lamp the beehive.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Chris, so it was Easyrider that started that misnomer. I always thought that was a screwy visual image for the '39-'46 tail light.
            Last edited by exeric; 12-08-2008, 09:58 AM.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

The "Streck" cap story made me google it to see if I could find a picture. In the process Google provided a link to Palmer's book. Is it common knowledge that his entire book is on-line for free?!! I thought at first that just the page with the Streck reference came up. But I scrolled thru it and the entire book is there. Very surprised to see that.
              Regards,
              Rob Sigond
              AMCA # 1811

Comment

Tom thanks for the headsup !! Ive have always refered to these as streak caps and Im to old to change ! But its a good conversation piece! we all can laugh and talk about this one for a long time...I hope !!!!!!! AGAIN THANKYOU !!!!!

Comment

I think Stant was/is a manufacturer of radiator caps.
                  VPH-D

Comment

I agree on the "beehive". Wasn't Harley's name for the 39-46 tail-light the "boattail"? I think I've also heard "streamlined".
                    Vic Ephrem
                    AMCA #2590

Comment

That's a Sterck of the imagination. Are my Eatons worth more now? And is the info in Bruce's book accurate about them? Mike

Comment

Its not to hard to figger out why they called it The beehive.

Be sure to visit;

Comment

Originally posted by 40 Nuck View Post
                          I agree on the "beehive". Wasn't Harley's name for the 39-46 tail-light the "boattail"? I think I've also heard "streamlined".
                          Harley really didn't have a name for the '39-'46 tail lamp. It was described in the 1939 announcement as "Beautiful Streamlined Tail light" I wouldn't call that a name. In looking at it Boat Tail sounds about right. Comes to a point in the rear like the Boat Tail Speedster cars.
                          Be sure to visit;

Comment

Stant is a huge provider of all types of caps, gas, radiator, etc, for the automotive industry. If just so happens that a friend of mine was president of Stant for several years, until they got bought out and he climbed the corporate ladder.

Comment

I'm straying from Tom Faber's excellent observation to ask a question about Eaton caps. Did H-D offer the Eaton caps in black, and if so, for how many years?
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X