Conclusion to the Thread Color Soap Opera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris,
    While I agree that what an original photo shows is about the best proof you can get you also have to bear in mind that a bike prepared for a model release photo shoot may differ in some ways to the final specification of production models and you need to know when the photo was taken.
    With regard to the photo of the 1926 posted under the paint section of the forum, I'd like to know exactly when that image was taken because if you look at the paint most of it appears to have been rubbed over with some form of abrasive and it's only where the paint was out of easy reach, like on the rear chainguard between the frame stays, that the paint retains any form of shine.
    If you also look at the striping line around the primary chainguard you'll see that it's almost rubbed away on the top run.
    If this image was taken in 1925 as a model release image for the 1926 range the H.D. standard of presentation and quality control must have been worse than in the
    AMF years.
    I'm pretty sure that if you presented a restored 1926 for judging in the condition portrayed in that image you would lose a lot of points.
    Now if that image was taken following some of the restorations and clean-ups that have occured at the HD museum over the years it would explain why the bike appears shop soiled and has different finishes to the spoke nipples. To me it looks like someone has inadvertantly put the wrong wheel into that bike and the frame shoe under the engine appears to have a build-up of dirt,oil,etc in it because the finish on the castings are not normally that rough.
    The exact date that image was taken is very important, especially to someone who is using it as a restoration guide.
    I'll be interested in your thoughts on the issue.
    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
    A.M.C.A. # 2777
    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Sorry, The Pohlman log doesn't go back as far as that photo. I have no date.
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

logos

Notice the Mesinger Logo

This has “New York USA” in the middle. It is from 1920
        So that is a least 3 different Mes No1 logos for this era.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LarryHeil View Post
          Notice the Mesinger Logo

This has “New York USA” in the middle. It is from 1920
          So that is a least 3 different Mes No1 logos for this era.
          Larry,
          Thank you for your contrubution to the information on this thread.
          Be sure to visit;

Comment

you ever see a factory photo of a big mac ? or try one from the assembly line
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by rwm View Post
              you ever see a factory photo of a big mac ? or try one from the assembly line
              Not quite the same thing. But you already know that.
              Be sure to visit;

Comment

Documetation??

Here is a page (looks to be a printed photo) from an original Excelsior Parts book

covering 1926 through 1929. Not the highest quality (any printed photos from this

era are usually not great) but I can read the "Mesinger "1" script logo embossed in

the seat leather and can see the stitches.
                Again I will use whatever color thread the customer would like. It would be nice if

the judges would let us know what they are going to deduct points for in this area of

leather color and thread color.

Attached Files
                Last edited by LarryHeil; 10-23-2008, 07:28 AM. Reason: error

Comment

the yale man

hi larry ,a little off subject here but i was looking thru my "Y" files and found this old picture of your dad ,and my dad ,and my uncle cole and his brother.i think it was in marshall texas ,at least 30 years ago.
                  www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Yale Photo

Thanks for the photo! My father does not have very many photos with him in them, too busy pedalling those old bikes to get them started. My father is quite the craftsman, that Yale decal on the tank he made from scratch. A seven color silk screen, and he kept reusing the same screen (low budget times) for each different color. He made 25 decals, kept 5 for himself and sold the rest to other Yale collectors.

Comment

hi larry.i seem to remember your dad telling me about making those decals ,and others too.i can attest ,he is a craftsman.over the years howard has done over a hundred seats for me and my family,at least.count me as a satisfied customer.way back when ,he was the only one willing and able to do seats for the early bikes.back when davenport only had 20 vendors,and old bikes weren't "cool". there is alot to be learned from our elder members,and i have learned alot from your dad.i was sorry to see the lack of respect that he was shown on the website of a club that he has devoted his lifes work to.and i commend you for carrying on the trade, and defending the heilmans reputation,while some would seek to destroy it. tell howard i said hi,and i hope all is well. lonnie isam jr.
                      www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Working...
                      X