gummed up gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gummed up gas tank

what is the best way to clean a gas tank that has been sitting for 44 years and has gooey molasses type glued to the inside of the tank. the saving factor is there is no rust. going to paint the tanks so that is not a worry.
    has anyone used media blasting
    or what is the favorite chemical route?

thanks
    moose
    Moose
    aka Glenn

I would start with safest, least volatile and cheapest solvent; then work up the list. Do it outside and away from open flame. Try a little bit of paint thinner. If that doesn't work, let it dry out. Then maybe gasoline, and maybe lacquer thinner at the end. There will be other solvents suggested; that's all I could think of. ...bill
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

I agree with Bill. Since your painting the tanks later, your free to try anything you can think of. Be sure to do it outside and wear your rubber gloves. I would probably begin by filling the tank about 1/4 of the way with gasoline and add a big handfull of 1/2" flat washers and swish,turn,flip,shake,ratlle and roll. -Steve
      ------------
      Steve
      AMCA #7300

Comment

Glenn you can also try MEK. At least I think thats how it goes. To say the least this is the only stuff that I found that eats out cream tank liner. I figure if it can eat that stuff. Gummy gas would be an easy chore. Bob
        AMCA #3149
        http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Just about any carburetor cleaner will dissolve it. Berryman makes a good one that comes in gallon cans. Don't use the aerosol type, it'll evaporate too fast.

Comment

I second Bob's choice of MEK. Great stuff and a super strong solvent. Just don't drink it.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Shell Premium summer blend will even eat powdercoating.
              (Wear gloves and safety glasses when using it... in a well ventilated area.)

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

thanks for the replys

cotton
                i got your float
                thanks

Glenn
                Moose
                aka Glenn

Comment

cotton would you have the spring that goes on the throttle shaft under the throttle cable holder

glenn mills
                  Moose
                  aka Glenn

Comment

Glenn!

My business is a service shop only (I cut floats personally), and I have no wish to conflict with all my friends who run mail-order parts operations.

If you do not have a local independent shop to support, try Kick-Start Mcy Parts 616-245-8991

Good luck!

...Cotten
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

thanks

glenn
                      Moose
                      aka Glenn

Comment

Working...
                      X