No announcement yet.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found out a little more about the fella that's intending on riding across the U.S. on his '14.

Here's a quote from the current issue of "Motorcycle Classics"

quote[ British born Victor Boocock is rebuilding his 1914 Harley single-speed, which he first rode some 30 years ago. A Northern California trials champion in the 1960's, Victor plans to retire in England soon, but first hopes to ride the Harley across the U.S. "A ride just to drink in America. Something that will last you the rest of your life," he says.]end-quote.

I bought the mag just for the story on Steven Wright's pre-16 run in California. Anybody know this Victor fella? I sure hope his trip, if it happens is documented. It would make a great story.
    Attached Files
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

X country

They seem to grow '14 HDs for the Atescadero pre-'16 Ride put on by Steven Wright. I missed this guy, but Steve is originally from England also. Sounds like an epic event, especially on a single speed. Bubeck did it with his '15 Indian equiped with a 3 spd, and still had issues.
      On a sad note, we had a fellow Californian go cross country on his '19 JD this summer. He did well all the way across, and back (had some wierd problem a few miles from home, but made it), only to die in an auto accident upon his return. He was the only one not wearing a seat belt. Olaf was quite the charactor.
      As for Dave Kafton & his shop, well, it well be hard to find a finer lad and/or his family. Dave is the one who brings the Dinasour Racer to D'port, and almost took the crown on the board track class this year, just by a nose. Dave's daughter usually sweeps our judging field at Dixon with her Hummer, AFTER she kicks butt at the field events!!!!!!!!!!!
      The Kaftons are top notch.
      RF.

Comment

Good to hear positive comments about good folks! But does anybody know anything about this possible historic attempt???
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Didn't Max Bubeck ride his 1914 Indian from Los Angeles to Springfield Mass. a few years ago when he was 80!! That's gotta be hard to beat.

Comment

X country

Yeah Barry, That was on a '15, which has a 3 speed tranny. A big advantage over a '14. He chose the flattest routes, and got in trouble with the law in a state that required constant lights on! He had to trailer it? He ran with a Wennebego back-up.
            RF.

Comment

Back in the late seventies I remember an older dude who would ride his circa 1920 Reading Standard up from Florida to Schenactady New York and think nothing of it. I recall he had fitted a Bultaco? headlight which looked like crap to me but was probably there not to circumvent regulations but for night riding!

Comment

This was from the summer issue of the "Antique Motorcycle" 1977
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Great stuff! So he rode both to and from Florida probably more than once! Where is that bike now? Doug Strange must know.

Comment

2998 miles of this guy's journey will be wonderful the last 2 miles to lady liberty will be white knuckle new jersey turn pike will eat him alive the cops may run over him never mind the tractor trailers i drive this road 3 times a week eveyone for them self full boar pumper to pumper 65 70 mph if he tries a side street Newark nj thug capital of the world good luck
                    rob ronky #10507
                    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                      This was from the summer issue of the "Antique Motorcycle" 1977
                      That is awesome!!! It's nice to know that the old stuff got ridden and well maybe... still does.....
                      Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

Frank Adams

Frank was a hardy soul. I remember him sleeping on the ground beside his motorcycle completely covered up under a sheet. I believe his bike was a 1922 model. Tom Wilcock, #381

Comment

Interesting note about Frank. It comes from the Summer '87 issue of the club mag. An article by Neil Ottens of the Yankee chapter wrote this about the road run. "Every 1000 feet or so, we stop to cool the binders. Then we catch up to Frank Adams, who is old enough to have bought his 1924 Reading- Standard when it was new, trying to take a short cut down the hill. Wrong! (Frank, you can't fly). I don't know if you realize it or not, but, if you didn't hit that tree, your machine would be due to hit the ground in about 10 minutes or so. Luckily for Frank, he got away with only minor cuts and bruises. I know his machine can't fly because I helped carry the thing up that cliff and it's too damn heavy to fly. Trust me, Frank, next time, take the long way." I guess it was the year of the White Mountain Run. I still think it's cool that he was "high-miling" with that ol' Reading-Standard!
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                          X