Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why should I bother renewing my membership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why should I bother renewing my membership?

It costs $34 to renew my membership. I can buy each of the four issues of the club magazine on the newstand for $7.99 each which totals $31.96. I, like the majority of members do not participate in road runs or vend at meets. Shouldn't the cost of membership be lowered or the price of the mag on the newstand be raised as an incentive to join?

Barry both valid points!!! I dont go to meets like I use to and havent been on a RoadRun for at least a decade! Yet I still pay my dues,but your post has me wondering why!!
    I guess the ONLY reason now would be we would not be allowed here !
    In defense of the club I pay because I wish to be a working member nothing else and have not really given any thought one way or the other

Comment

Why pay more for a part from a local guy that has been in business for years supporting the hobby when you can order the same part on the internet for less?

Comment

If you don't know why you belong to this club, the club would probably be better off without you.

Comment

Ratfink, I like the way you think. Even though I'm a newbie to the AMCA, I've always held much the same view as you tossed out. I won't even go to Wal-Mart.

Comment

Wow…. That’s a tough one to answer Barry.
            I can tell you my incentive for being a supporting AMCA member though.
            To me things have always been about being fair. For all the enjoyment I get by reading through some of the posts here and learning the best method of rebuilding these old machines it is easily worth 30 some dollars a year to me. To me its only fair to give something back, especially if it only cost 30 U.S. dollars.

By the way Barry, I agree with you completely that when viewed from a monetary view point, then as you say, the incentive to join doesn’t look so good. Does the club make more money each year from magazine sales or by membership donations? -Steve

P.S. Thanks for starting a thread which is bound to have some heated discussion. Its to cold today to go out and work in the garage anyway.

Comment

My thoughts...

From an earlier post I'm under the assumption that the magazine will no longer be available on newstands. Not sure when or if that will happen, but obviously one reason to renew. The other is this forum, which I believe you need to be a member in order to participate? I'm also a newbie with the AMCA but have been to a few events and would rather give them the money for the magazine (membership) than a retailer. I know my money is helping to keep the organization going, to some degree.

Comment

What's could possibly be cooler than an organization that is all about old motorcycles? Not much really. That is enough of reason to support it with a membership IMO. To me the mag is a nice perk for joining. It's not my reason for joining. Supporting the AMCA in that small way by being a member is my reason.

Of course, if you don't like old motorcycles then there is no reason to join.

Comment

I just joined this organization a couple of years ago on the advice of a good friend, even though I've been interested in the old iron for many years. Through this forum and the meets I have attended thus far, I've met some really great people and have gotten much invaluable advice and information. I say money well spent!!

Mike

Hey, and times are tough, I practically LIVE at WalMart!!

Comment

the magazine will no longer be sold " on the news stand" . to my assumption as of the winter 2007 issue. maybe you should read your magazine cover to cover paying attention to the official minutes of the meetings portion

I rejoined after a 17 year " vacation". the club, and the magazine are invaluable resource and for the $34.00 usd it is well worth it. I just wish the magazine was offered more than 4 times a year

aka HAWG

Comment

Well in my case, I give back to the club through my business, although it is only for the European chapter at the moment. Every person that is a registered and current AMCA member who purchases from me, I donate 3.5% of the retail sale to the chapter in hope that it will grow and prosper.

The AMCA means more to me because I get feedback and knowledge from members which we use in our production process to ensure we can offer a quality part that meets or exceeds the OEM……but most importantly, passes the increasingly difficult scrutiny of the judging process. To me, the AMCA and its members are priceless and I'm very happy to be a supporter and a member.

Kurt

Comment

To me:

1. The magazine alone is worth the membership costs.

2. This forum is worth the membership costs.

3. Though I live in central Louisiana and have never been able to attend a meet or a road run, just knowing that the AMCA exhists and that I am able to be a member, is worth the membership costs.

4. And ... just because you don't know why you belong to the club doesn't mean the club doesn't want and need you and your support.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Great response! I agree it is well worth the extra $2.04 to be able to mouth off here and not to have to drive through a snowstorm to get my magazine.

Comment

Wow Barry, you sure know how to get a record number of responses in a record amount of time!

I agree with not having to drive through a blizzard to get a copy of the mag. I've only seen it for sale on shelves in Calgary. Therefore I would have to drive 150 miles just to get my hands on it. I'm a lone antique freak in my neck of the woods and it's great to see The Antique Motorcycle show up in my mailbox. The only problem I have is I usually devour it in one sitting and start to get pretty fidgety by the time the next one shows up!

Comment

Speaking of that last issue, mine still hasn't shown up........

D'ya they'd have it at Wal-Mart?

Comment

Working...
                              X