Fiberglass bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass bags

I thought I would throw this out on this forum, because I need a quick answer on this. I know the fiberglass bags started in 63, and they had the seal stapled to the bags. Is that the only year they had the slight step on the inside, by the mounts? ALso, am I right whaen I see a So am i right thinking the 63 bags, with the staples are the only yeart that had the step, anddifference in the lids of the 63 bags, and the later ones? I have a set with two different lids, I think. The 63(?) lid seems to be a little deeper around the rim, and the later one doesn't fit down on the 63 bags quite right. So am I right in thinking the 63 bags are the only year that had the step, along with the cheap clips on the bottom, and the lids are nactually different dimensions than the 64 through when the shovel bags switched to the tumbler lock? I am going on a long drive to return these bags I got tomorrow, because I don't need the 63 bags, and the guy has a set of the later ones I want. He didn't really know what he had until I got these, and discovered the difference. Anybody interesterd in two 63 bags, and one lid, in decent restorable shape, with locks that work? Speak now, or forever hold your pieces. I think he might have another early lid, but I will find that out tomorrow.

PP!

My best guess is that both '63 and '64 used the stapled lid seals.
    '65s had the same "hairy" fibreglas construction, but had weatherstripping glued to the lids.

I have encountered some sets of '65 bags that were orange inside.

Apparently '66s had the same hardware, but the construction was of the later design: The flat bottoms and indents were gone, and the fibreglas itself no longer showed the curly hair texture on the inside.

....Cotten

Comment

Tom and I have discussed this in the past and have different experience. I have concluded that the 63 and 64 bags are unique, the 63's having the stapled on seal and the one yr only latch, the 64 bags having the new style latch and the seal glued to the top cover. Every original 65 I have seen has the press mold bags.

Comment

Kyle!

What does the '63 latch look like?
        I assumed it was the same as '64 and later, as I have had several stapled bags with that design. (photos to come...)

My "reference" '65 is an un-molested machine that belongs to a local fellow who has it documented from the original owner, and it has flat-bottom, indented, curly fiberglas bags, just like my first '65 that I bought in '75.

I would love to think it is a mid-year change, as I have two '65s, but only one set of flat-bottoms left (since my others were stolen by a Peoria partspirate who offered to paint them for my spare set of '64s: Two sets gone. )

....Cotten

Comment

I took those stepped bags back, and exchanged them for flat sides, which I think are right for ' 65-67, and are probably right for ' 64, but you have to take into account the usual run-over form one year to another, so the ' 63 style could have bled into some ' 64's. I didn't look close enough at the latches before I exchanged them to see any difference. The early ones might be lacking the backup pltes, or the extra hook in the bag part of the latch. I do know that the ' 63's had the two rivet clip on the bottom, compared to the 4 clip, with the backup plates on the later ones. I did measure the tops, and they are different around the lip in the front, and might be taller overall, but I didn't check that. The guy had another set of stepped bags that looked original, and showed absolutely no sign of ever being stapled. I think it is another case of Harley's policy of mix and match, waste not want not. One of the other sets is for sale on ebay, so if you have a ' 63, and you want to get it right, they could be for you. They aren't bad, the locks work, and at least one lid is correct. He is good to deal with. Thunder Cycles, in Ohio. Also yesterday, I saw a ' 32 or 3 Indian 4 engine, with the tranny cut off and a pulley installed. Looks like it was used to run a pump or something. It was at a different shop.

Comment

Geez I hate research.

Here is a poor scan of a '65 Parts Book which notes that the stapled bags were issued through "early '64", along with two interesting changes to the spring latches upon the bottom of the bags.

(Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it also implies that Police issues with radio continued on with the Royalites!)

The lock and key changed for '64, so Kyle is right about a unique '63 latch. It even appears the 'latch plate' behind the '64+ lock was added late in the year.

More to come...

....Cotten
            Attached Files

Comment

On to 65's,
              Here is a partial scan of the '65 Factory production photo, and it clearly shows flat-bottom bags.

Perhaps the 'press mold' bags were introduced mid year? Geez I hope we find proof!

...Cotten
              Attached Files

Comment

The 63 latches do not have the slot and tab arrangement the 64 and later bags have. Tom you are right about police issue, the three 65's the LaCrosse, WI police department had were all equipped with the bubble bags.

Comment

I tried my '65 key in those locks on both sets of '63 bags Charlie had, and the same key works all the fiberglass bags with the suitcase style latches.
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X