No announcement yet.

1905 H-D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a very interesting machine for sure. Cool story!! It would be interesting to know the deeper history on the bike. Where are you Earl? Let's hear what you have to say on this.

Comment

carb

The use of the Star of David in the Dodge Brothers logo goes back to 1914 and the first Dodge Brothers car built. It was last used on the 1938 Dodge.

Comment

Re: 6 bolt

Originally posted by jurassic
        this is a picture of the 6 bolt bike my father aquired in the early 80's.he was heavily into drag racing at the time and was using an old knuck with sidecar as a tow bike at a race in florida.someone saw the knuck and asked if he was into old bikes.said he had a 1903 harley at home.sure enough the next day the guy shows up with this thing in a bunch of boxs.refused to take any less than 1500.00 dollars for it.which was probably alot for him at the time. for many years after we called it a 1907,probably because of the front fork.then when the traveling museum came around we were able to see a 'REAL' 1907,and realized that this engine was of the earlier 6 bolt type ,of which only 5 still exist..it is an interesting hodge podge of parts.later fork ,early frame and tanks,later fenders.but all the parts were real and in great shape.the tank did have some dents just under the seat,which would be normal.we had heard rumors that it was stolen from the factory collection when amf took over,but now that sounds kinda crazy,because we would have seen pictures of it .
        I agree with you Jurassic. This truly is a hodge podge of parts, but one pile of parts that we all wish we could call our own.

Looking at the core machine, the frame has a feature that appeared first I believe on 1907 model frames, where the pedal crank assembly sits on top of the rear frame tubes. So based on that, I would say the frame is of 1907 or 1908 model vintage.

Jurassic is right, in that we know of only 5 original existing 6-bolt motors. The motor in this machine I believe to be of 1906 model vintage. This is based on the good photo of the motor, which shows a casting feature that is not present on the two known 1905 model motors. The first 1905 model motor is owned by the Harley Davidson Motor Company, and is residing in the Lobby Bike, aka Serial Number One, (the first). And the second 1905 model motor is residing in the machine owned by Bruce Linsday.

Comment

Re: carb

Originally posted by flthead
          The use of the Star of David in the Dodge Brothers logo goes back to 1914 and the first Dodge Brothers car built. It was last used on the 1938 Dodge.
          Fancy that!

You learn new and useful information here every day!

Comment

Working...
          X