1905 H-D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1905 H-D

Does anyone know whether there was ever an article published in the "Antique Motorcycle" that ever covered Bruce Linsday's '05 Harley single? I just finished re-reading the article on his ride to Milwaukee. It is truly inspiring. It brought thoughts of how did he stumble upon the machine? What were the trials and tribulations of the restoration, etc, etc. Harley-Creation has caused an early Harley affliction in this simple man's mind. I can say one thing for sure........it's confused this long time Indian lover........

the find

i did hear how it surfaced awhile ago from another collecter of the early stuff, not sure on the details now ,but was a interesting story ..especially how it was told . i believe the motor turned up at a farm auction in the '60's and was in a shop in chicago till he passed .the frame came from cali. but to hear the details , an excitement about another unknown treasure turning up ..... these are the stories ya don't hear everyday gotta luv the guy's who chased this stuff down in the 60's an the stories about it before it became the "in" thing today

Comment

The sad fact concerning Bruce's ride to the 100th is that there was very little to No recognition from the Motor Company. They are pissing on their own grave !
      JKE

Comment

Thanks for the insight flthead........that's a little more knowledge than I knew. It really is too bad that big dollars and cents are what control our motorcycle passions, but I think it's beyond anyone's control now. As far as Harley's recognition of Bruce's ride.....well we all know that it was at least important to the rest of us crazy antique motorcycle loving lunatics.........

Comment

I wish you had asked that earilier as I was hanging out with Bruce for a bit on the road run. Could have asked him for ya.

Comment

Bruce's buddy the late Tom Kell was the previous owner of this machine. To my eternal regret around the time I joined the AMCA circa 1979, Tom offered to sell it to me , probably tongue in cheek for the then outrageous sum of $25,000 ! All it consisted of was the engine and part of the frame. To put this in perspective the same year I sold E.J.Cole his very first collector bike, a nice original rebuilt 28 Henderson for about $2200, the going price. Lets see then, so if that Hen is about 40 K now , then .... naw forget it , the Harley is priceless!

Comment

Barry I see we join right around the same time,another great story from up your way, I was offered a early Shaw that was all there and running,the fellow was from northern Quebec,I took my time and lost out,it sold for I do believe 1000 US whats it worth now !The anazing thing about this man is the fact we both have the same last name !!But I didnt buy and yes that 05 is priceless if you ask me !

Comment

That just figures Paul........The question has been brewing in my mind for awhile now. That's what I get for procrastinating I guess..........

Thanks for the info Barry! It's always something to hear the stories of the one's that got away!! That was a doosie.......

Comment

I believe that Bruce told me that the engine was found in Iowa and that it was being used for some farm application. The frame is later and I don't believe it was with the motor. Tommy Kell died and Bruce got it together in Tommy's memory in time to ride to the so-called 100th.

It was amazing to watch how effortlessly Bruce swung onto that thing, gave the pedals a couple of turns, and off it went! It honestly had more mystique or whatever you want to call it than ANY other bike at the 100th bar NONE that I saw.

On the so-called 100th a group of us left the Juneau Avenue celebration including Bruce's 1905 and rode over to Holy Cross Cemetery where William S. Harley is buried. John Harley, Jr. was there too and I asked him if it would be okay for Bruce to roll the 1905 up on Bill Harley's grave next to the HARLEY family stone for a photo.

John Harley said: "I think grandfather would like that." It was my favorite moment although far from the crowds with nary a tattoo in sight.

Yes, Bruce's 1905 was parked by the repro Woodshed and outside the front office door at 3700 West Juneau Ave. after "moting" from Ohio and although hundreds of "official" windows were staring down upon it to my knowledge nobody came out to acknowledge that oldest RUNNING Harley or its great ride to Milwaukee.

Comment

6 bolt

this is a picture of the 6 bolt bike my father aquired in the early 80's.he was heavily into drag racing at the time and was using an old knuck with sidecar as a tow bike at a race in florida.someone saw the knuck and asked if he was into old bikes.said he had a 1903 harley at home.sure enough the next day the guy shows up with this thing in a bunch of boxs.refused to take any less than 1500.00 dollars for it.which was probably alot for him at the time. for many years after we called it a 1907,probably because of the front fork.then when the traveling museum came around we were able to see a 'REAL' 1907,and realized that this engine was of the earlier 6 bolt type ,of which only 5 still exist..it is an interesting hodge podge of parts.later fork ,early frame and tanks,later fenders.but all the parts were real and in great shape.the tank did have some dents just under the seat,which would be normal.we had heard rumors that it was stolen from the factory collection when amf took over,but now that sounds kinda crazy,because we would have seen pictures of it .
                    Attached Files

Comment

notice the cool header pipe manifold,fits perfect,looks factory.carb is nicely mounted but definatly wrong ,as is the timer
                      Attached Files

Comment

Jurassic, just a few questions. The header pipe on the green bike is kind of unusual. Why is there an open port shortly out of the head ? Also, what kind of carburetor is that with the star of David ? I understand some, or all of the founders were rather anti-semitic so it's a pretty good send-up.

Comment

nice old MC! Jurassic, do you still own this MC? I hope so and as far as the story about how the gentleman aqquired it,I believe it could be true and everything said adds alittle spice to the story!!!

Comment

Silent Green Fellow

Interesting machine!

From the motor mount position we can rule it out being the 1904 prototype (Meyer/Lange/Sparough/Neg.599 bike), but since that bike went missing after 1916 that is the first thing we want to check. That machine, of course, being a million dollar motorcycle if someone can recover it.

But six-stud motor would make it a 1905 (or 1906?) engine for sure. No factory serial number on it almost certainly, eh?

Frame is later than 1905 as it has the sidecar lug behind the frame head/neck. Spring fork would be later as well.

Carburator is open to wild speculation, but I'm not going to TOUCH that baby! But you gotta wonder what it is. European maybe?

Earl is our resident early Harley parts man. He should have some keen observations to make on this very interesting bike.

Comment

6 bolt

there are no numbers on the motor.the exhaust manifold looks to be a very well made casting,perhaps it was an early version of an exhaust cutout.or an exhaust whistle.either way it was made to fit this engine.as for the carb ,i just figured it was off an early dodge.the dodge brothers used this symbol on their early cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X