No announcement yet.

Linkert Float

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many carbs were designed for brass floats, even the Schebler G model for motorcycles, but our "bowl" carbs do best with something much more sensitive.

The float closes the valve because of the force of the fuel displacing it upward. If the float weighs four times as much, it sits very deep in the fluid. Thus the setting must be lowered drastically to get it to shut at the level the carb was metered for.
    Suddenly there is not nearly as much fuel in your bowl. Add the fact that the brass floats are made larger than originals in an attempt to lessen their density, and you lose even more reserve volume in your bowl.
    The result is that you must go through a great deal of trial and error to find a setting that will be marginal when you open the throttle rapidly and often. (Remember the extended bowls that flat-trackers often used?:http://www.beautyofspeed.com/gallery...ert-bowl01.htm )

The float cycles like a toilet. Ideally it would stay open just enough to allow as much fuel as is being consumed. But in reality it causes brief rich periods and brief lean periods as it actuates.
    A very buoyant float gives a very low amplitude cycle, but a heavy float is sluggish with its own inertia. So these periods of rich and lean are amplified enormously. Ever wonder why machines aren't getting the fuel mileage our fathers bragged about?

The heavy mechanism wears quickly upon the pivot lever and pin as well. Fresh hardware can display wear in 2000 miles that can be compared to generations of wear with OEM floats.

The material I use is actually less dense than cork or 'Armstrong' foam. So they are of less volume, and slightly less mass than originals. They can be set to book spec with a ruler and forgotten.

One mystery to me is why folks have reported great results with ultralight floats even when intentionally set drastically high or low. It's almost as if the setting drops out of the equation when the float floats.

....Cotten

Comment

We have had lots of trouble on many bikes with the Titanic brass anchors before Cotten presented the final solution. Last summer also the Harley original float desintegrated with only 8600 kilometers since new. Cottens floats is so superior that I did not bother to quarrel with the Factory's Guarantee Department, and got his float for that bike too. Probably they would have kicked me out anyway, if I had mentioned that the bike was an 87 years old Model J!

Comment

Linkert Float

With all the positive reports on Cottons Floats, I ordered one today.
        I'm sure that will solve my problem. Thanks to everyone who replyed and thanks to Cotton in advance.

Doc Harley

Comment

Thank Cotten. Your explaination on the works of a float is down to earth and clear. The extra volume of fuel created by your float makes up more than enough of the sluggesh opporation and timing of the float and shut off valve system. Ever think about making them for lawn and garden carbs too ?? Hit me off forum and I will explain why I asked. Paps

Steve, I usually do all my own engine work, even if I never tackled a particular engine before, I end up doing it. Bro's I trusted are dead and gone now who did that work for a livin. Hit me off forum and explain why you think the top end needs over hauled. Most of the time these engines are simple enough to do a backyard repair. Paps

Comment

Originally posted by INLINE4NUT
            Doc Ill third the others Cottens floats are the best!! And his support is second to none!
            i have the hardest starting u model harley in the world .i went to virtual indians website and printed cottens instructions on manifold leak testing. i made my own tester following his instructions ,and upon completing the test i found a plethera of problems .after fixing em all i bought one of his floats and installed it. just got back up from the basement with a big smile on my puss.the bike started right up .found a small intake to carb leak but it went away with slightly tightening the retaining bolts.
            if you dont believe an air leak is a big deal , start your bike and ever so slightly loosen 1 bolt from the manifold to the carb.made mine run like crap!cotten ,if it wasnt for guys like you who take the time to post these solutions on the web , alot of us would be lost. my hats off to you!thanks again ,tom

ps i have a very small amount of light visible around the venturi ,is this a big deal?, and what might be the fix?

Comment

old tractors

Steve, I do know someone who is in Edinburgh, Ohio that works on old tractors. The shop is just a little south of Ravenna. It is called Hargett's Feed Mill and the owner is Dick Hargett. You can tell him that the lady with the trike (Moose's neighbor) sent you. He has a wonderful knack for working on the old tractors. He puts on a neat show at his farm the week before Wauseon. Denise

Comment

Cheifrider asked:
                i have a very small amount of light visible around the venturi ,is this a big deal?, and what might be the fix?

Potmetal has the habit of shrinking with time. When it gets loose within the bore, not only does it allow air around it to defeat the draw upon the nozzle spigot, they often rattle to wear upon the spigot to open a gap that defeats the 'accelerator pump' effect of the nozzle's reservoir (that cutaway slot on the side.)

A picture of such wear is attached.

Venturies can be made a proper fit again by swageing oversize before lathe-cutting exact.
                (I aim for a very tight fit, as they will continue to shrink over time!)

....Cotten
                Attached Files

Comment

Just dusted off the first of my bikes equipped with Cotten float and VL-Steves float valve & seat and took it out for a spin. No problem there anymore, no need to shut gas valve while having coffee!
                  Fiskis

Comment

Yup.......I'm in total agreement there. I just put one of Cotten's floats in my 45 on the weekend. When I finally found spark (bad coil..... ) the little flatty fired up and purred like a kitten. Thanks Cotten!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X