Linkert Float

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert Float

Does anyone know if Tiwan Teddy's Linkert float part # 35-9163 is any good? It's suppose to be an Armstrong Float and good to use with any fuel etc,etc. Has anyone tryed them? It seems that Kokesh MC is out of Brass floats and has been for a half a year or longer and has no date as to when there will be more. Im well aware of the India brass junk floats. I need a float that will work !!! Any leads?
    Thanks Doc

I haven't tried one but was told they're on the heavy side but usable. I used one of Cotton's foam floats, it seems to work well.

Comment

Cotton is the way to go

I second using Cotton's float, installed
      one in my linkert for Servi-car after getting
      several bad floats (brass leakers, cork
      cracked or split) from VTwin (TiwanTed ?)
      Solved the problem, first time.......

Comment

Linkert Float

Thanks to all who replyed to my post. You were helpful.
        Doc

Comment

Doc Ill third the others Cottens floats are the best!! And his support is second to none!

Comment

OEM "Armstrong" floats were black (with a possible dark red variation..) while the Tedd offerings labeled as such have been light yellow. As labeled, they will not survive oxygenated fuels, including ethanol blends.

Brass floats from India weigh three times as much as original, and are prone to leakage. Kokesh's weighed four times as much as the carbs were designed to use.

I machine to order absolutely solvent-proof floats that approximate original buoyancy. Interested parties should post me direct at liberty@npoint.net

Thanks to all for allowing this shameless self-promotion.

.....Cotten

Comment

I don't see it as shameless promotion when you make the best product out there!!

Comment

linkert float

I had purchased a brass float from Jim Sutter(a long time ago),
                it worked fine for about 15 years. but I decided to try one of Cottons floats, it works fine and he stands behind his product. if you really must have a brass float I think Rocky has them
                Kevin

Comment

Even the oem originals are prone to wear. Although, one gets plenty good years of service from them. The leaky ones I ran across had stress cracks in them. I would think the stress cracks were from the years of service of suffering vibrations and from banging up and down after hitting pot holes and the like. I still encounter this problem with yard and garden equipment using those types of floats as well. Once in a while I find a float oxidized from lack of use but most of the time it is stress fractures I run across. Have found a few where they split at the seams to. First flooding symtoms I see bring stuck needle or sunken float to my mind. I'll be hittin Cotten up for his float product. Heard nothin but great news about them. Paps

Comment

I'm surprised that there are so many problems with brass floats. This isn't new technology, they've been used in other applications for years. By the way, I used Tedd's gaskets with no problems.

Comment

Here's the problem with brass floats, even when they do not leak: (See attachment.)

There was never a brass OEM float for Linkerts. They were designed for a 3 gram float, whereas brass floats range from 9 to 12 grams.

....Cotten
                      Attached Files

Comment

Alright Cotten, you've got me convinced! I'll be shooting you an e-mail.........

Comment

Wow Cotten ! I didn't know that. The ones I removed were replacement floats then. The brass ones in the lawn and garden equipment were oem though. Just replaced one in a ridin mower this past summer. a B&S 16 hp Twin. Removed a fractured brass float and the oem replacement is brass also. If the one I removed was the original, it lasted 20 plus years. Your demonstration is unique but if you dropped the new replacement brass oem B&S float I installed into the same jar with those two floats, it would also float. Why is the brass one in your pic completely sunken ? Paps

Comment

Never mind my last sentence Cotton. I see it now in the pic. The brass is not completely sunken. The pivot end is pulling it down. The brass float is pulling upward. No doubt the other float has more floatation to it. Must be a great difference in tab bending adjustment between the two types, heh ? Paps

Comment

Hey Paps, Just last week I installed one of Cottens floats in my M88. And yes, it did require a bit more bending of the tab than I had expected. I was replacing a cork float, which had seen its day. I needed to bend the tab about 1/8" from what it was with the cork float.

A little off subject here for a minute. Paps as well as old cycles I also like to play with old tractors and need a lead on someone around here to do a top end on a 14hp Bolens. Any suggestions..? -Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X