X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Weaver collection auction

https://jwoodandcompany.com/

Lots of very cool 2-stroke motocross bikes from the 60's and 70's
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Thanks Harry, some beauties in that collection.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

I'll be blunt; I didn't see anything I liked in that collection, with the exception of the Honda Super Hawk. I did (and do) not like dirt bikes from a hiker point of view because they made the wilderness accessible to loud, obnoxious machines and maniacs that killed flora, and fauna. I did like motocross and went to every big event in Orlando because I love competitive motorsports and think motorcross was a great way to show talent, competition, and miraculous engineering. In the hands of pre, and teenage jerks those bikes were air, and noise pollution. . . Sorry to rain on the parade.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

I like the auction offerings, but then I really like the Late '60s-early '70s Euro stuff. Working for an H-D dealer in the '70s we were also an Ossa dealer and we sponsored a flattrack bike as well. One of our salesman was a national number and used the Ossa based bike in 250 class. I loved spending time on the Pioneers, plonkers and ultimately the MAR. As a serious outdoor guy (hiking, backpacking, back country skiing, mountain biking, and hunting) I spent tons of time in the backcountry. Very rarely had any issues with dirtbikes, far more issues with street riders being jerks. And to me there has always been far more noise and pollution from street bikes than there has ever been from dirt bikes.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

A clean collection for sure, thanks for sharing Harry. Here's a little video of some off-roading done by Armando Magri back in the day. Watch it just before the auction starts and maybe you'll be inspired to buy a bike and do a little "adventure" riding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNFYlI2yZV4
          Eric Olson
          Membership #18488

Comment

I was hoping to see a Jawa "gelandesport" ISDT but no luck.

Comment

Nice collection, but not really my cup of tea.
              #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

Thanks for the link Harry. Some uncommonly seen bikes there. Jack must not have been a Suzuki guy. I was hoping to see a TM400. I attended a local vintage (pre 1975) motocross event recently. Had no idea vintage MX was alive and well. Riders from various surrounding states were there. Cool seeing the old bikes closeup then being raced hard like the old days. And the smell of 2 stroke exhaust!
                Eric, to your point....I was guilty in the 70s mostly for noise. Making our bikes loud as possible was what everyone did. In our minds we thought instant HP gains by pulling all baffles. They sounded like they had more power anyway. Here in southwest PA we rode the many and massive boney pile/slate dumps left from pre-EPA coal mining in the early 1900s so at least we weren't tearing up pristine land. But in general by the early 80s trails were being blocked due to carnage from inconsiderate riders. To this day I feel bad rattling the neighboring homes with loud bikes riding the country roads. And ride we did. A decade later I wised up and went the quieter is better route.
                Jason Zerbini
                Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

...the whole collection snaps me back to the late 60's and early 70's when I rode a Hodaka Super Rat and Ossa Stiletto, but I also had all the magazines showing all the European bikes winning motocross, enduro, and trials.

A passing thought was to pick up a bike from my youth at the auction, but then I remind myself of the last time I rode a 2-stroke bike... it was 20+ years ago on a Honda CR125 one of my sons owned...it scared the heck out of me! Those 2-strokes are like lightning in a bottle...hang on tight!
                  Last edited by pisten-bully; Yesterday, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                    ...the whole collection snaps me back to the late 60's and early 70's when I rode a Hodaka Super Rat and Ossa Stiletto, but I also had all the magazines showing all the European bikes winning motocross, enduro, and trials.

A passing thought was to pick up a bike from my youth at the auction, but then I remind myself of the last time I rode a 2-stroke bike... it was 20+ years ago on a Honda CR125 one of my sons owned...it scared the heck out of me! Those 2-strokes are like lightning in a bottle...hang on tight!
                    Got any old pics of that Ossa or Super Rat?
                    Yea Harry, I was thinking same as I had a 74 TM400 around 1980. It still carries a legacy of being the most dangerous dirt bike of all time. I didn't know any of that back then, I just rode it cause I got it for $200. It was brutal then and I was 21. As for a 2 stroke today perhaps a Suzuki 90 would be a better choice for me now.
                    Jason Zerbini
                    Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                    Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
                      Got any old pics of that Ossa or Super Rat?
                      ...hahaha... Jason one of my sisters has all the old photos (I think).

The Ossa Stiletto in the auction is just a beaut to see, well restored (or preserved) as are many others there!

Comment

Working...
                      X