Please be patient while some changes are made to the AMCA Forum's directory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
    I didn't even know there were "Groups" until I followed a "Latest Topic" post over to American Carb Group.
    Learning about antique motorcycles and working on them sharing tech tips the stories and the photos I like these.

Visited the AMCA Fb site and it is good LOTS of pictures but IMO lacking the tech/maintainence/repair of this forum

Oh Wow just found the "Indian Group" 4 souls.
    Thanks PaulCDF I think you got the vibe of the possibility of groups. It can let you get more specific with regard to anything related to our passion - antique motorcycles. See my comments in this topic also, related to the forum available Articles, another available forum feature. Can I get you to sign up as the first AMCA Forum on-line content contributor to an article on your favorite antique motor cycle subject?

Mike Love
    AMCA Forum Moderator

Comment

I would agree with post # 5 and #'s 8 ,9 , 10, 13.....Smitty

Comment

Why are there threads that say...

"Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page."

Comment

Please understand, the Groups tab has been an element of the AMCA forums for many years. This is a basic page of vBulletin. Until now, it's never been used by our members. We simply decided to take advantage of it to use as a communication tool for a new project we are about to launch to help AMCA Chapters grow and communicate. This in no way changes or affects the Forums tab or its content. Thanks for being a loyal AMCA Forum participant.

Comment

What's the big problem? If you don't like the group section don't click on the tab. Just because someone else like beets doesn't mean you have to eat them too. Or am I missing something here?
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by ihrescue View Post

I sure would hate to see anyone check out. I think it is good to look for ways to stay relevant and especially try to reach people for interest in the club and forum that haven't yet felt inclined. I think they are hearing from some AMCA members with some compelling arguments, not to change but to expand interest. I would encourage our esteemed Forum members to stick with it and see what happens. Throwing spaghetti agains the wall to see if it sticks is the way of seeking improvements. Hang in there.

Mike Love
              AMCA Forum Moderator
              So the plan is stick with the recent changes regardless of negative feedback because the forum is looking for ways to stay relevent and reach new people for interest in the club?
              Im not sure how restricting access will accomplish this but perhaps explaining proposed changes to current participants and seeking feedback beforehand might be better recieved,but may maybe Im missing or did miss something.
              Throwing spaggetti may be one way of seeking improvements but I dont think its THE way.
              I also have no idea what appropriate line up of forums to make sense means.
              Tom
              Last edited by tfburke3; 05-23-2023, 01:59 PM.

Comment

I think most of the knowledge that people look for on here is stored in old heads and most if not all of those old heads struggle with computors, I know I do, so if you want those old heads to participate here you need to keep things simple, easy to use and logical in operation.
                Because of the trouble I have with text getting split up when I load pictures I'm very close to joining those who are considering leaving.
                I've never used that group section and never will so I haven't had the problems other users are having but if those sort of problems get over onto the forum you'll lose me very quickly.
                My 2 cents worth anyhow.
                Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                A.M.C.A. # 2777
                Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

To be relevant you need interaction, not isolation.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                    ...keep things simple....
                    Too late, Tommo.

Now all we can do is ignore all the bells and whistles and obstacles like its a video game.

How redundant to have separate marque categories, and then over-lapping generic categories like 'Engine Transmission Rebuilding'?

It is not our administrators' fault that vBulletin sux; At least the search function is now almost useable, but that alone won't keep new viewers from moving on.

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776
                    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I have no problem with groups-as long as they are open & available for ALL MEMBERS. I can't think of any reason for anything to be "private" on this forum except for personal messages. Leave the private crap to Fakebook.

It should not be necessary to "join" a group to read or comment.
                      Last edited by frichie68; 05-24-2023, 12:17 AM.
                      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Ditto Tommo!...........................Smitty

Comment

...much of our society's business culture is centered on growth; bigger is better, the more the merrier, gotta grow sales. But this is a club for antique motorcycle enthusiasts...and there's a limit to our numbers in the world. Does every person owning an antique motorcycle belong to our club? No. Will making our community forum function like Facebook get those missing antique motorcycle owners to join AMCA? Probably not. What could happen is people who have a passing fancy to own an antique motorcycle, or simply think antique motorcycles are cool may wander into the club...just as you see happening on Facebook, a few may stay and contribute while most will move on...that's the social media way!

I'm not a snob but I personally don't think we need to cater to and fish for new members, rather we should make the forum as user friendly as possible so that current AMCA members that are not on the forum are encouraged to contribute.
                          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I'm not "on" facebook or myface or instawhatever or any of them and have NO desire to be

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                              ...much of our society's business culture is centered on growth; bigger is better, the more the merrier, gotta grow sales. But this is a club for antique motorcycle enthusiasts...and there's a limit to our numbers in the world. Does every person owning an antique motorcycle belong to our club? No. Will making our community forum function like Facebook get those missing antique motorcycle owners to join AMCA? Probably not. What could happen is people who have a passing fancy to own an antique motorcycle, or simply think antique motorcycles are cool may wander into the club...just as you see happening on Facebook, a few may stay and contribute while most will move on...that's the social media way!

I'm not a snob but I personally don't think we need to cater to and fish for new members, rather we should make the forum as user friendly as possible so that current AMCA members that are not on the forum are encouraged to contribute.
                              I agree, well said! I'm not a Facebook, person, and while I understand that technology does sometimes need to be updated to keep pace with browser and other tech updates, I don't believe that the past functionality on the site would discourage any new members from participating.

Comment

Originally posted by frichie68 View Post
                                I have no problem with groups-as long as they are open & available for ALL MEMBERS. I can't think of any reason for anything to be "private" on this forum except for personal messages. Leave the private crap to Fakebook.

It should not be necessary to "join" a group to read or comment.
                                Yes, why can't the default be all members are all groups, and you can opt out?
                                AMCA #41287
                                1971 Sprint SS350 project
                                1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                                1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                                1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                                96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                                2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                                plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Working...
                                X