Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

using judged points to help sell a bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using judged points to help sell a bike?

I thought points awarded to a bike via AMCA judging were not supposed to be used to help sell a motorcycle? Or am I wrong? (Wondering where I heard that.)

This example got me wondering :

Bid for the chance to own a 1950 Indian Chief at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #103,983.
    Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

What other justification for judging is there, Harry?

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Well-Said Cotten !!
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Nice Bike
        Judging took place 1995.
        Since that time description notes some changes: 12volt looks like Cycle Electric charging system, Electric Start, custom exhaust.
        Don't know how those changes would effect AMCA judging today. Looks like original parts available to "de-modernize" if that is what owner wanted.
        Honestly guess I would not care. I feel, given the opportunity, I would still have dinner with Miss America 1995 even if today she was wearing bifocals and orthopedic shoes!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
          What other justification for judging is there, Harry?

....Cotten
          I can think of several other reasons to have your restoration work judged, besides supporting a higher sales price. But never mind my question, my memory doesn't serve me right!
          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I also recall the earlier Judging Disclaimer asking us not to use judging points in sale, but it has been revised and can been seen on the Website under Events and then Judging Information. Closest is para 4 which reads

4. Any AMCA member who desires to sell an antique motorcycle which has been judged by AMCA judges at any sanctioned AMCA event acknowledges and agrees that the value of any antique motorcycle is determined solely by the willing seller and the willing buyer regardless of the number of points and/or judging classification given to an antique motorcycle under the AMCA established system for judging its members’ antique motorcycles.

Comment

A lot can happen over 28 years so yea, referencing the points has little relevancy. I think the frame VIN was re-stamped
              Jason Zerbini
              Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
              Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post

I can think of several other reasons to have your restoration work judged, besides supporting a higher sales price. But never mind my question, my memory doesn't serve me right!
                Please Harry,

Let's hear them!

Who wouldn't demand more for a judged machine, just to cover the overhead of getting judged?

....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-14-2023, 11:46 AM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Please Harry,

Let's hear them!

Who wouldn't demand more for a judged machine, just to cover the overhead of getting judged?

....Cotten
                  Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. (Matthew, chapter 7, verses 1 and 2) Yes, i think i'm pretty funny.

Judging gets even better...

[3] And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
                  [4] Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye?
                  [5] Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.
                  [6] Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
                  Last edited by Steve Swan; 04-14-2023, 07:11 PM.
                  Steve Swan

27JD 11090 Restored
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClUPIOo7-o8
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtuptEAlU30

27JD 13514 aka "Frank"
                  https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...n-Project-SWAN
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRB...nnel=steveswan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDeuTqD9Ks
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlIsZKmsTY

Comment

With great respect to all appropriate corrollary Scriptures, Steve,...

I was referring to the worldly trailer, fuel, lodging, and other expenses to pilgrimage around to distant Meets multiple times.

Going virtual could part the waters, and the greater glory of anointing Marque awards could be saved for the finish-line Meet.

In person for those who would demand witness...

...Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-14-2023, 08:15 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Steve, you forgot to include the most relevant section of the Judging Disclaimer which forbids any member or member who becomes a non-member from using the AMCA judging system when selling a motorcycle judged through the AMCA. The disclaimer clearly forbids the use of AMCA judging categories achieved by the member/owner’s motorcycle and the numbers of points assigned to it by the judging team. The intention and spirit of the disclaimer are clear and not subject to individual interpretation. The applicable sections of the disclaimer:

1) The AMCA has an established system for judging its members antique motorcycles, that is those motorcycles which are 35 years and older. … The established system is not to be used by AMCA members and non-members to affect, determine, or influence the value of any antique motorcycle for any other reason except as stated above.

5) If an AMCA member or an AMCA member who I becomes a non-member utilizes the AMCA judging system, as outlined above, in any form or manner when selling an AMCA judged motorcycle, the AMCA shall not be liable to any party, including AMCA members and AMCA members who become non-members at the time the motorcycle was judged shall hold the AMCA harmless and indemnify the AMCA from any liability whatsoever, including reasonable attorney’s fees at both trial and appellate levels, for the use of the established judging system in violation of this judging disclaimer.

Richard Spagnolli
                      AMCA #6153

Comment

It isn't clear, Folks,...

How is 1) enforced?

Askin' for a friend,

....Cotten
                        AMCA #776

Comment

Tom,

There is a difference between the clarity of the rule and the enforcement. You are absolutely correct that there is no enforcement provision in the rule. When the Judging Disclaimer was being considered by the Board in 2009, a method of incremental punishment was suggested. Several warnings, temporary membership suspensions and eventual memberships expulsions for violations. None of those enforcement measures were adopted. The Board decided to rely on “moral suasion” with the judging membership. In short, hoping the member would abide by the rule because of their integrity and appreciation of the judging system. As we can see, moral suasion doesn’t always work.

The original purpose of this rule was to protect the AMCA and the members who volunteer to judge motorcycles from lawsuits filed by disgruntled buyers who state they relied on the representation that the motorcycle purchased was a 99 point Winners Circle bike! And it had bad numbers and a bad frame, etc. Yes, there are guys out there that would do that. The indemnification and hold harmless clauses were designed to send a message to those who violated the rule and the AMCA was sued.
                          Last edited by Spag; 04-15-2023, 04:13 PM.
                          Richard Spagnolli
                          AMCA #6153

Comment

5) is the protective liability disclaimer we expect, Richard...

But 1) tilts at windmills.

strange game.jpg

....Cotten
                            Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-15-2023, 03:11 PM.
                            AMCA #776

Comment

The way things are now , buyer beware.

Comment

Working...
                              X