The Lindbergh Ride, 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain, rain rain....

We yode half of yesterday in rain, some light mist and some downpours. In spite of that, a good 250 mile day with detours.

All 4 bikes are running very well and strong. Were all down to one or two kicks to get going.

Evening maintenance was postponed due to a torrential downpour after our sumptuous dinner of White Castle burgers,, Bill's favorites..

At it early,, sorting out ioiling ssues, broken muffler, greasy brakes 20220905_185024.jpg20220905_190950.jpg20220905_073222.jpg20220906_072413.jpg and general maintenance. 110 mile ride today hitting some of Lindbergh's side trips while stationed at camp knox.

Comment

Here's the starting lineup on Sept. 3 in front one of the older UW engineering buildings. That's L to R: Alex, Stewart, Hans and Gene. Thanks to the UW parking volunteers for allowing us to stage this on a football Saturday. And also thanks to the UW Foundation for letting us use their off-campus parking lot to unload the bikes.

9-3 starting lineup 976 AMCA b.jpg

Comment

Gene and all,
        I see some 'Spotted Cow' there in #46. GOOD CHOICE! (I have enjoyed some when visiting Madison relatives.)
        Best wishes for sunny days down the road as you continue your fun.
        John Crawford

Comment

20220906_172138.jpg20220906_120727.jpg Great day today in spite of a late start and a downpour in the afternoon.

Stewart, the underdog, recovered very well from an incinerated (reproduction) muffler yesterday. It required a late night repair session, plus an early start to a long morning to get it fixed plus the daily maintenance. He pitched the dangling canister and cutt off the shards of debris on the sides, then fashioned a steel cover bolted on to direct all the exhaust out the cutout. His bike has a definite rumble that the rest of us dont have.. He said he feels like a Harley rider now and has more power. His bike ran great today and is ready for tomorrow, our longest day.
          Resized_20220906_112831.jpeg
          Alex had been struggling with way too much oil in the crankcase, so much that it was blowing out all around the motor. The mechanical pump has some issue which cannot he adjusted out, delivering nassive quantities of oil to the rnhine making a huge mess sndcwashing a lot of oil. He simply shut off the supply line to the oiler and is managing the oil level with only the hand pump. He was quite skeptical at first but Hans explained to him how earlier machines had only a hand pump, the later mechanical pump being a big improvement. He started by setting the crankcase oil level to 3 oz then riding 20 miles to test and measured the oil level again. Then reset it with the hand pump and repeated the procedure to verify. It was discovered that in about 20 miles the engine would consume about 1 1/2oz of oil. So, reset and test again to verify. He eill continue tomorrowby adding a full pump full every 20 miles. His freshly cleaned and adjusted brake are working well too.

Hans and I are doing well so far. It's great to see all 4 bikes settling into the same rhythm, using nearly the same amount of gas and now oil at each stop.

Today was a 130 mile loop to Mammoth Caves and the Abraham Lincoln Birthplace memorial. Unfortunately no time for a cave tour but met some great folks that were very interested in our trip. Just rolled into the Lincoln Memorial as they closed so only a brief walk around the park. Wonderful winding back country roads today. At one point we were on the exact roads Lindbergh rode on, Old Hwy 31 W, now a narrowxservicecroad alongsidev the RR tracks.

Of course, a big rain dump in the afternoon but geared up so we could perform our evening maintenance.

Tomorrow is our longest day at 270 miles, riding to Vonore TN. On the road at 7:30am!!

Hope to post pictures and letters from Lindberghs time around Camp Knox soon.... 20220906_171623.jpg

Comment

Saint Bill, our chase vehicle driver, quartermaster, bartender snd friend to everybody. Thanks Bill, you're a lifesaver!

20220906_192207.jpg

Comment

And a nice shot at Mammoth Caves... 20220906_133124.jpg

Comment

This is a great story, thanks for taking the time to share it
                AMCA #41287
                1971 Sprint SS350 project
                1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Yesterday was a mixed day for us. We got a great start in the early morning, pulling out early in the cool foggy morning. All 4 machines were humming along beautifully, enjoying the cool moist morning air and running better than ever! As a group we were finally getting our routine set and settling into a nice pace. Yesterdays ride was just under 260 miles.

At about 55 miles, near Columbia KY, Stewart had a mechanical issue which caused his throttle to stick open as he crested a hill then into a sharp turn. Choosing not to take out Alex, he took the ditch and embankment instead. Long story short, Stewart was transported by ambulance to first Glascow, then Nashville. He is currently undergoing surgery to repair 2 broken legs. Assuming all goes well he will be flown home to Canada in a few days for further treatment and recovery.

With all that said, there is good news! A big thanks to John, our traveling photographer for being just behind Stewart and getting to him in time to get him away from the bike when it caught fire, certainly saving Stewart from burn injuries as well. Bill, our support driver was right there as well and got the fire under control quickly. I made it back to Stewart pretty quickly and was right on him, ass. He did loose consciousness for a brief bit but as he was coming around

Comment

Stewart and the Maclellan family X at Davenport 20220901_160435.jpg
                    Attached Files

Comment

I'm behind in posting updates on Lindbergh's travels. Below are a series of letters which he wrote to his mom while stationed at Camp Knox, describing the first legs his trip. I transcribed it as written with typos and period slang. Interesting window into what it was like to travel in 1921!

Letter dated June 25, 1921 from Camp Knox to Mom:
                      June 25, 1921
                      Dear M,
                      I just got the suit case today as I didn’t know where to get it before.
                      I have nothing to do this afternoon and expect to go to Lincoln’s home to-morrow.
                      When I left Madison (Sunday May 19) I went to Milwaukee via Lake Hills. Since it was Sunday, The X agency was closed and I went on to Chicago by the lake road. Also went through Zion City. It became dark when I was 25 miles from Chi. And the XX! Small towns had no hotel. I followed a car on to a large town and passed a cop on a corner. I was behind the car so I didn’t see him till opposite. It was so dark I couldn’t see 5 feet. He yelled but was out of luck. I got a hotel all right but no eats.
                      The next morning I reached Chi. I spent the rest of the forenoon putting the machine in shape.
                      Later I drove around the city. It is some fun in the congested districts. On the Boulevards the speed limit would make a WI country cop faint. Forty miles per does not worry a cop and they get sore if you don’t go 30.
                      That day I saw one man badly hurt on Michigan Ave. and four minor smash ups besides getting my own machine knocked over while standing at the curb. It was not hurt.
                      I passed O’connor on Wabash ave about 4 pm. We put the machines in. Went to a fake show, made the manager of a rifle range look foolish and stayed at the Y over night, besides going thru the dock dock section and the new pier at night.
                      We started the next morning a little after 5 and went to Indianapolis with minor difficulties. O Connors car caught fire a few times, I got a puncture etc. We arrived in Indianapolis at dusk. The roads are very good gravel in Indiana, and we good going most of the way. Drewary went with OC and was trail guide. He had a free map and when the map went like this (squiggly lines drawn) he tried to make the roads correspond without worrying about signs (Mech. Eng.) Even the farm roads good so we got off comparatively easy.
                      We were afraid it would rain that night so did not stay in Indianapolis.
                      I rode 50 ft in front of O Connors car and could see with his lights better than with my own if I had them. The roads were mostly cement and they slipped by faster than in day time. The driving was better in the night air. The only trouble we had was from not seeing a detour sign. We got off about 3 mi. on that.
                      When we came to a town I went behind the Ford and (told) the cops that we had a brake down.
                      We stopped in front of a garage in one town, walked by the tin star and got supper. When we got back he was gone so we filled up the machines and went on.
                      About midnight we came to a strip of good cement and started racing. Of course I went ahead pretty fast. So fast that I got outside of the range of his lights. I must have been going about 50 mph and suddenly I saw a horses on the road 25 feet in front with a red lantern unlight. I couldn’t stop so took the line of least resistance and went through everything that was in front. O.C. knocked the rest over and got two wheels in the mud on one side of the road. The detour looked bad so we lifted the flivver back on the road, locked the back wheel of the X to the front wheel of the ford with a chain (we worked this first in Chi and usually found 4 or 5 men standing on the curb looking at the locking device). Made a bed out of some shocks of barley in a field on the road, spread a canvas over them and went to sleep There were a few mosquitos but O.C. and I slept fine. Drewry had quite a time of it.
                      CAL

Editors note:

Following was stapled to the letter dated June 30 but I believe it should be attached with the letter dated June 25, 1921 as it explains the last leg of the trip to Camp Knox:

From Yale library, penciled in on top of page: {1921 June 30}

We got up the next morning, reshocked the grain and went on. The roads were not good, but we made fairly good time for quite a way then we struck wet clay roads. The Ford could crawl along but my machine slipped all over.
                      I could not walk along beside because the roads were too slippery so I had to slide one shoe on each side like a sleigh. There was only about 10 miles of this so the shoes held out.
                      About 6:30, we crawled into a small town and decided to eat. The inhabitants obligingly woke up the restaurant keeper and he had a chunk of ham and some bread in stock. We managed to eat what the flies didn’t get.
                      Arrived Louisville (Kentucky) about 11:30 and got a bum dinner. I never saw roads as bad as these in Ky, for bumps. If you go slow, the small rocks b…..h H-out of you, if you go fast, there is aa hole, about two feet deep, every 20 yards.
                      Did not stay long in Louisville. The roads to Camp Knox were good and we made good time. (Camp K is about 30 mi S of Louisville.
                      Arrived in camp about 3:30.
                      Upon arrival at camp, we were given a preliminary medical exam. Then given equipment and bedding , and assigned to barracks -U-33-6 is my no. We were then off duty for the day. Equipment consists of uniform, frock,, 2 blankets, 4 sheets, 2 pillow cases.
                      Movies are given free in open air theater, so we attend. The shows are second class (about 4 years old)
                      The next day we were given a thorough medical exam, and shot for small px and typhoid. The man in front of me went unconcious2 seconds after being punched. The one behind went faint when he saw this. I thought it must be something real and stood in front of the vet, felt a slight needle prick and was waiting for the shock when I realized the doc was laughing. He told me to move on as it was all over. I heard later that some men are so scared when they go up that the reaction knocks them out.
                      After being shot one does not have to do duty for 24 hours. However I started the next morning. We have exercise first, then there is no regular schedule.
                      Went out on “equitation” (?) that morning. Battery F is known as the grey horse battery as it is the only battery having horses of that color. They are intended for much heavier work than riding and jog along at a killing trot. It does us up after riding them an hour. We may have a distinctive name on account of our horses but we would be glad to trade with some other battery if they would take the horses along with the name.
                      Saturday we went to Hodgenville (KY) to see the Lincoln memorial. O C did not have his flivver together, so did not go. I went on the X.
                      The roads were cobblestone and crushed rock with lots of holes. The front and rear wheels of the machine were over a foot off the road at various times. I never felt so shaken up before at the end of a short ride (30 mi each way).
                      The cabin is inside a stone building (see postals) and is in good shape. One cannot go inside the cabin. To the right front is the spring. One of the best I have seen, except that the water here in Ky does not taste so good as up north. The spring comes from a small cave inn a hollow about 20 ft lower than the main level. A small stream of water flows along the floor of the cave and drops about 8 ft into a hole 5 ft diameter and disappears.
                      A truck arrived shortly after noon with rations.
                      I left about an hour after the first jitneys (for the RR station) and arrived at CK two hrs before the train. So in spite of the roads I save lots of time.
                      CAL.
                      Carry the watch upside down with you for a day or two and if it still goes, would be glad to have it (insure) can get glove here.

Lindbergh #31 resized.jpgLindbergh #66.jpg
                      Lindbergh #35.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

Lindbergh #67.jpgLindbergh #70.jpgLindbergh #69.jpgLindbergh #278 resized.jpgLindbergh #275 resized.jpg

Comment

June 25, 1921 LIndbergh rode to the Lincoln Birth Place memorial in Hodgenville KY. Lindbergh #122.jpg

Comment

We arrived at the same site Wednesday afternoon in the rain just as the park was closed to vehicles. We were allowed to walk the grounds and take a few pictures though. 20220906_171623.jpg20220906_172138.jpg

Comment

Gene, that's a real bummer for Stewart. I'm sure all of us following along wish him a speedy recovery and offer a big thanks to Stewart for being a part of this Lindbergh ride and bringing his X up to road ready status for the ride.
                              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Gene,
                                Is there anything that can be done to help Stewart out?
                                Very disappointing to hear as he is such a friendly man with a fantastic connecting to his motorcycle.
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X