1913 Emblem restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1913 Emblem restoration

New member, looking for info and guidance on how to best conserve a 1913 Emblem single Model 105. Im open to suggestions..........
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by moritz; 06-16-2022, 03:20 PM.

"Restore" is a dirty word with a fine machine like that, Moritz!

"Conserve" is always more rewarding, and a lot cheaper, too.

Welcome, but please let us preserve History, not grind it to dust. "Its only 'original' once."

....Cotten
    PS: I know nothing of the rest of the machine, but I can offer insights into the Schebler carburetor...
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Moritz WELCOME!!!!
      Beautiful machine!!! Two humble suggestions:
      1-Access AMCA Library note there is a 1912 Emblem manual there among a few other Emblem publications.
      2-Find your local chapter and join. Nice to know some local like -minded people.
      Again Welcome.

Comment

Appreciate the guidance, I will attempt to find the library.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
          "Restore" is a dirty word with a fine machine like that, Moritz!

"Conserve" is always more rewarding, and a lot cheaper, too.

Welcome, but please let us preserve History, not grind it to dust. "Its only 'original' once."

....Cotten
          PS: I know nothing of the rest of the machine, but I can offer insights into the Schebler carburetor...
          Sir I stand corrected......I will be conducting a conservation process.
          leads me to ask some questions regarding conservation; can I replace the wheels (too rusted to be functional) and can I paint the tank and have it patinaed to match the rest of the bike?

Comment

With a conservation, Moritz,

You don't have to please 'judges', only your own instincts and aesthetics (as your resource$ allow).

Please let the hardware guide you, and we shall help when possible,

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

What a find! I’m so glad you’re going to preserve it. I think any work like wheels needed to make road worthy again would be totally acceptable so long as it matches the rest. Love the idea of aging down what you repair and replace.

please share your progress in the forum we’d all love to follow along.

Jim

Comment

However, what are you preserving with that bike? It's original history was painted over with red paint, and what looks like a reproduction gas tank, tool box, and fenders that look to be circa 1915. I would agree to leave it alone if there is a family, or personal connection to it's current condition but it certainly isn't reflective of what Emblem produced. The Emblem is a very difficult motorcycle to research and information is scant to say the least so regardless of how you go about it, it will be a long term project of collecting information, and literature. If you are only interested in preservation, then oil it down once a month, put it in a corner, and leave it alone; job done. Personally, I would restore it because the Emblem was a gorgeous motorcycle in it's correct color, and generous use of nickel plating. Also, single cylinder bikes are easier to find parts for, and most important, you could ride it, and have fun with it, and fun is what this hobby is suppose to be about. My comments always get me in an argument so my advice is to do whatever you want to do
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                  However, what are you preserving with that bike?....
                  The experience, Eric,..

The experience.

No doubt you have great experiences of throwing mass money at projects and waiting a decade to find what its like to ride them.

I guess I'm jealous.

...Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

Tom, I appreciate, and understand your point of view regarding restoration, and preservation. It's a complex question made more complex by whatever object is in front of us. I've been prejudiced by the 'rat-rod' phenomenon which is often lazy customization at it's worst. I'm not comparing this bike to rat-rods by any means and I'm sure that Moritz will treat his Emblem with the greatest respect. I'm also influenced by a friend who is a fine art restorer, conservationist, preservationist of oil paintings and amazed at what he can reveal in a painting that has 200 years of grime from being in the same rooms as humans. Moritz said he was open to suggestions, so, I'm just trying to put a bit of pepper in the conversation.
                    Last edited by exeric; 06-17-2022, 04:21 PM.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by moritz View Post
                      ... can I paint the tank and have it patinaed to match the rest of the bike?
                      Moritz!

Beware applying a "patina" incurrs the distain of the elite. Its a forbidden art. Judges said so.

(I'm proud of my "fauxtinas" anyway.)

Your Schebler looks like it retains good nickel, which would clean up to true patination. But judges insist it shine like it never did....

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Gentlemen, I appreciate both perspectives, conserve and restoration. My intent is to get her operational and safe to ride, at least locally. I don't have deep pockets to throw tons of money to make her 1st in class. I just don't want to do something irreversible but would like to get started. So today, I started wrenching, taking baby steps, front end shock absorber/spring (see attached pic) broken coil spring should be about 8" long .215 dia. guess this will be first of many. Also, I attached a pic of the carb (not marked as Schebler) but looks like it might be one of the original, pre paten designs.
                        i am certain that I will want to send the engine out for a rebuild, need recommendations on solid vendor.
                        thanks guys........
                        Attached Files

Comment

Moritz;
                          When you get the time I would love to hear the story of how you came upon and acquired this unique machine.

Comment

The variety of these early models is endless, Moritz!

The missing knob on your airvalve probably looked like this:

airvalve Early.jpg

Although your spring was probably lighter, and some early airvalves did not use leather:

airvlv1.jpg

Which are certainly the easiest to rebuild. Please let us record your inlet thread diameter, which might be either left or right-hand 20 tpi, or even 3/4", and of course the actual bore diameter (it could even be 14mm!).

Looking forward to it,

....Cotten

AMCA #776

Comment

PaulCFD, about 8 years ago my father introduced me to Butch a member of his local VFW post, South Jersey. My Father mentioned the old bike he had we talked about it (and my interest in old bikes) so we went to his garage to see it buried in junk (see attached). In 1913 the bike was originally purchased by local business man George Bates (bricklayer & plasterer). In 1939 Ed Jones bought the bike, Ed (Butches Dad) rode the bike until 1953 at which time it had a small gas tank fire (reason the tank has primer on it). It was never tagged again, put in the family garage/barn and basically discarded. Butch lived near my Dad, so periodically I would walk over and ask, ask, ask about Him selling it. Regrettably, Butch got ill and passed away, in His Will the bike was to be given to Butches Brother, Donnie, to keep it in the family. I got his brothers phone number and spoke with Donnie, expressing my interest in buying it. Donnie wanted to have it for family sentimental reasons, it least for a while. I contacted Donnie again after a road trip that included Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggy Valley NC. When I got home I called Donnie again, this time he said He had been looking for my number and he would sell it. Elated, I got i n the truck and at his house in 24 hrs. I wanted to keep the weight off the bike so I hung it in the trailer, (see pic).
                              now the work begins........
                              Attached Files
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                              X