No announcement yet.

Considering an Indian...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since later Indian Linkerts are stamped with model & year characters (my 1942 Sport Scout: M642) the original may be expen$ive.
    All 1933-* 1-1/4" Linkerts use the same 3-bolt flange pattern, and all are flathead bowl design (except: 1936-39 M-5, 55, etc. have the OHV bowl).
    If "correct" is not a high priority, the common and relatively inexpensive H-D M-88 (WW2 mil) requires only minor tweaks (larger venturi, Indian main nozzle) to replace any 1-1/4" Scout or Chief carburetor.
    The Linkert Book

Comment

I believe I will give my view, I would gladly own a Indian others have given good advice. Something I’m wondering do you plan to ride 2 up with your son or each ride when the opportunity presents? With many years of tank shift riding I personally don’t like passengers with a buddy ,chummy seat I feel it moves me to far forward.My wife and I are good with a mustang stile seat and relocated passenger pegs. I also will keep the idle low so if I get in a situation I can stall the motor with the front brake. I wish you the best the right machine will find you.

Comment

Originally posted by Shovelhead68 View Post
        I believe I will give my view, I would gladly own a Indian others have given good advice. Something I’m wondering do you plan to ride 2 up with your son or each ride when the opportunity presents? With many years of tank shift riding I personally don’t like passengers with a buddy ,chummy seat I feel it moves me to far forward.My wife and I are good with a mustang stile seat and relocated passenger pegs. I also will keep the idle low so if I get in a situation I can stall the motor with the front brake. I wish you the best the right machine will find you.
        Thanks for the reply. We each plan on riding solo. Im a big guy, 6'3 & 265lbs. 2 up riding wouldnt sound like much room. I intend to teach my son to ride the antique motorcycle. He is very familiar with dirt bikes and has been riding those since he was about 8 years old. He would love the opportunity to ride an antique motorcycle... mayble, if the right ride is out there, I will have one... and may find him one as well.
        many thanks

Comment

I’ll gladly share my insight as a recent ’46 Chief owner. Learning to ride foot clutch – hand shift took a couple weeks. While not masterful yet, I get by. In my experience with Kiwi Mike is he's a great guy, loves Indian Motorcycles and is a knowledgeable resource. His book, "Indian Motorcycle Riders Instruction book" is a wealth of information and very helpful. Kiwi also has instructional videos posted on his website and on You Tube. You might also consider going on eBay and searching for Indian publications. Author Jerry Hatfield has published several books that are great to own. The nice thing about searching eBay is they are very reasonable in most cases. Half the fun is the Literature and research in my opinion.

As far as your weight and stature, I’m a big fellow also. It was immediately necessary to acquire and install heavy duty seat springs (3 total) in the seat post. Bottoming out was spin jarring. Jerry Greer carries them.

That said, I recommend an Indian Chief, it’s a great experience and a joy to ride.

Best of luck to you and your son, hope to see more of your posts.

Jim
          Last edited by jim wagnon; 01-21-2022, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jim wagnon View Post
            I’ll gladly share my insight as a recent ’46 Chief owner. Learning to ride foot clutch – hand shift took a couple weeks. While not masterful yet, I get by. In my experience with Kiwi Mike is he's a great guy, loves Indian Motorcycles and is a knowledgeable resource. His book, "Indian Motorcycle Riders Instruction book" is a wealth of information and very helpful. Kiwi also has instructional videos posted on his website and on You Tube. You might also consider going on eBay and searching for Indian publications. Author Jerry Hatfield has published several books that are great to own. The nice thing about searching eBay is they are very reasonable in most cases. Half the fun is the Literature and research in my opinion.

As far as your weight and stature, I’m a big fellow also. It was immediately necessary to acquire and install heavy duty seat springs (3 total) in the seat post. Bottoming out was spin jarring. Jerry Greer carries them.

That said, I recommend an Indian Chief, it’s a great experience and a joy to ride.

Best of luck to you and your son, hope to see more of your posts.

Jim
            Thank you Jim for your reply. I am excited and floored at the same time about the generosity from members of this club like yourself and others to offer input and suggestions for my son and I. I am grateful for the suggestions and I will definitely look up the literature you and others suggested.
            Many thanks Jim... hope to one day soon post a some pics of our new adventure when we find the right motorcycle.

WmC

Comment

I will share my Indian Chief experience.

I too had only ridden modern Harleys. I have been a member of AMCA for 20 years, and a hang-arounder of the AMCA circle for 40 years. I also aspired to owning and riding an antique motorcycle someday, and through much thought my preference became an Indian. Well, much to my surprise, a ’48 Chief unexpectedly “found me” last May. My Chief came to me with left hand throttle/ right hand shift and I intend to keep it that way. I had ridden foot clutch Harleys in the past, but I had not put that many miles on a Harley foot clutch, so the opposite clutch pattern on the Chief was not a problem to 'mentally change' or get used to for me. The left hand throttle did not seem that difficult. Maybe I just wanted to do it that badly, put my mind to it, and became proficient. I go back and forth between my Shovelheads and my Chief and have not had a problem alternating throttles.

I have put 5000 miles on my Chief since last June. Two road trips- one of 2000 miles, one of 1500 miles, and the rest just fun miles around home (Florida). Not one single hiccup along the way. I have had a ball with this thing. I am excited for you and your son.

Edit:

Last edited by Liz; 01-22-2022, 03:15 PM.

Comment

As the proverb goes - a picture is worth a 1000 words

Jason Zerbini
                Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

This came up just recently. A pretty good deal for a nice 1940 Chief. I believe it sold for $29,500

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265429934330?hash=item3dccdb60fa:g:5rcAAOSwfUlhpnk p&nma=true&si=Nd86OLdq%2BufEARed1UUvwLtNqf4%3D&o ri g_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l255 7

*M.A.D.*
                  Last edited by JoJo357; 01-22-2022, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Been riding 40 years. Many bikes come and gone. Moved to Montana in 2014 and bought a 47' Chief Basket in 2015. Had amazing support here in Missoula and got my Chief on the road in spring of 20'. I set it up with the right side shift and advance (on the hands) and left side throttle. I have not had previous experience with foot clutch and concur that KIWI explains it best. I found a video of Indian Mike and he give the best advice as follows, "first and foremost always immediately engage the clutch pedal and remove engine power if you begin to lose control of the motorcycle. Then regain control and re engage once control is regained." I am a motorcycle safety intsructor and we begin the same way by telling students, if you lose control pull in the clutch lever and use the brakes as necessary to regain control. I have now ridden the bike for the last two summer and I love it. It is smooth and cruises nicely ay 65 mph. I am fortunate and also own a Vincent twin, which is of similar vintage of course. That is a fast bike and pleasure to ride as well, but an long day in the saddle may go to the Chief, if you're not in a rush. The Vincent will go 70 - 80 just fine, but those speeds can beat you up after a while on an open machine.

I am 6'2" 230 so you should fit fine. Enjoy and good luck.

5E8BE46B-DF32-48E6-958B-263FB087D3B0.jpeg

Comment

You're the 3rd person I know of that decided to leave the throttle on the left & never went back, good on ya! My first bike was a 51 Chief I bought in 1959, the throttle had been moved to the right grip before I got it so I never knew any different. At my old(er) age now, I'd likely crash & burn in the first 6 blocks, same as I would with a left side brake/shift on the right.
                      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

You definitely want to be using your bean when 'dancing' with the old girl. Makes the ride more fun. Of course, I am in Montana now so it is easier to avoid traffic, much easier than doing so in LA where I moved here from. Once the magneto on my Vincent died while I was splitting lanes on the 101 freeway in the Valley. that was a real nail biter getting folks to let me filter over to the right as I coasted slowly down. One must keep their wits about them while piloting such machines...

09A15A89-EAC5-40B9-B5D7-CD4975A44FD9.jpeg

Comment

Thanks for the great pictures, Jason, and Bogage. I've had a right hand shift Indian, and standard left hand shift H-D as interchangeable riders with no problems going back and forth; however, I set the clutch pedal on the Indian to work like a Harley. That was something I couldn't get used to and fortunately, Indian made their bike controls fully convertible.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Sorry I missed your Chief, Liz. Beautiful motorcycle in front of a modest, but beautiful modern home
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                              Sorry I missed your Chief, Liz. Beautiful motorcycle in front of a modest, but beautiful modern home
                              Eric, I added my photos later, after the “proverb-a picture is worth 1000 words”.

One of the campgrounds I stayed at last Fall had a teepee on the backside of their property (no, I did not camp in it). I spied it the next morning, on my early walk-around, while sipping coffee. An ingenious idea came to me immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Liz View Post
                                One of the campgrounds I stayed at last Fall had a teepee on the backside of their property (no, I did not camp in it).
                                Like it! So back to WmC....with an Indian you can get photo-opportunities not available with other motorcycles (zoom in on the sign )

3CFAA231-4118-4D03-84DA-E5731BFFB85F.jpeg
                                Last edited by pisten-bully; 01-22-2022, 07:34 PM.
                                Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Working...
                                X