No announcement yet.

Considering an Indian...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing that you might want to consider if you are going to be going from a modern Harley with electric start to an Indian with kickstart is whether you have the ability to kick over the engine. This may not be an issue for you and there are electric start conversion kits for Indians but some people have trouble with it. When I got my 46 Chief together and running I put a 1950 and up longer kickstart crank on it to make it easier for me to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Liz View Post
      I will share my Indian Chief experience.

I too had only ridden modern Harleys. I have been a member of AMCA for 20 years, and a hang-arounder of the AMCA circle for 40 years. I also aspired to owning and riding an antique motorcycle someday, and through much thought my preference became an Indian. Well, much to my surprise, a ’48 Chief unexpectedly “found me” last May. My Chief came to me with left hand throttle/ right hand shift and I intend to keep it that way. I had ridden foot clutch Harleys in the past, but I had not put that many miles on a Harley foot clutch, so the opposite clutch pattern on the Chief was not a problem to 'mentally change' or get used to for me. The left hand throttle did not seem that difficult. Maybe I just wanted to do it that badly, put my mind to it, and became proficient. I go back and forth between my Shovelheads and my Chief and have not had a problem alternating throttles.

I have put 5000 miles on my Chief since last June. Two road trips- one of 2000 miles, one of 1500 miles, and the rest just fun miles around home (Florida). Not one single hiccup along the way. I have had a ball with this thing. I am excited for you and your son.

Edit:

Wow, Ms Liz,
      thank you for your input. Great looking bike. I hope to soon be able to tell you and others the miles that I've logged on my antique motorcycle. My son & I are really looking forward to it. It may be tunnel vision, but if I love it as much as I'm anticipating, maybe I can find a 2nd antique motorcycle for my son... that would be great to do a road trip with him.
      Many thanks Liz for your reply. Thanks for the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
        As the proverb goes - a picture is worth a 1000 words

Many thanks Skirted for the pic!!! The smiles on your faces says it all!!!

Comment

Just curious how your search is going? Hopefully you and your son are having some luck in finding just the right motorcycle.

jim

Comment

Originally posted by jim wagnon View Post
            Just curious how your search is going? Hopefully you and your son are having some luck in finding just the right motorcycle.

jim
            Jim Wagnon, sorry for the late reply to your question... Im just now getting around to checking my email (im not very good about checking email daily). We have had a few suggestions along the way on member recommended sources to check with. One source is a fellow out of PA who I've been emailing back and forth for a few weeks. This fellow is working on a few right now and I imagine it would be springtime before any are complete. Do not know any pricing details yet because this individual was waiting for the the Mecum Bike Auction to help him with current values. This individual states to have many references and has even invited me to his shop to view in person. PA is quite a haul from my location in West Kentucky. However, this individual made me an offer that he evidently makes all of his potential customers... if I make the trip and feel like the items were misrepresented in any way, he would reimburse my fuel for the trouble... Not a bad deal. We are considering this option.

Comment

Working...
            X