• Show
Clear All

Very nice video on how a carb works. Thanks
    http://www.harley-memories.com
    http://harley8valves.wordpress.com/
    AMCA Membership#5701

Comment

Thanks Steve!

But we still have no clues about the enigmatic transition from the idle circuit to the power circuit in the DLX design.

Might as well give up on my see-through Linkert without a camera like that...

....Cotten
      PS: "Vapor" should be invisible. What was filmed was fuel not fully vaporized, or "atomized" as described in many texts. Similar clouds are also formed where there is a pressure drop beyond the venturi, in the many crooks and nannys of the ports.

Puddling.gif

Any such "puddling" robs fuel efficiency and power, because droplets do not burn as completely as vapor.

PPS: That's supposed to be an animated .gif. It worked before I uploaded it. I've been trying for weeks.
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-03-2021, 09:37 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Maybe this guy can make a float bowl for my Mikuni so I can see whats going on in there.

Comment

Originally posted by jug View Post
          Maybe this guy can make a float bowl for my Mikuni so I can see whats going on in there.
          Ever been to a laundromat, Jug?

Without the fancy high-speed camera, that's what you see!

The bowl circuit is all about the level of the fuel, so I've read anyway. It would have been nice if the float in the video was at least level; That might even dampen a lot of the slosh.

The video illustrates the high speed circuit of a tube carburetor, after the air velocity is enough to draw from a nozzle (over ~35mph for the American design.)

The mystery I wish to understand is the draw upon the DLX/Linkert idle circuit at much lower velocities: How can the entire volume of the circuit suddenly reverse itself if acceleration is slow?

Does it flush, or gurgle like a toilet?

....Cotten
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-04-2021, 02:33 PM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

I would like to know just how much fuel is in the bowl when my motor starts to stumble to help me fix the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jug View Post
              I would like to know just how much fuel is in the bowl when my motor starts to stumble to help me fix the problem.
              If this is a going-down-the-road problem, Jug,...

You're going to have a hard time seeing the bowl and the road at the same time.

I defer to Kitabel for modern carbs, but it should be obvious that every bowl is a tempest in a teapot when the motor is shaking it. If the float and valve are doing their job, the "average" or "median" fuel level that matters is the level within the bowlstem, where there is a lot less room to splash around.

Do Mikunis have a bowlstem reservoir to feed a nozzle like antiques? (I really don't know!)

....Cotten
              Last edited by T. Cotten; 07-04-2021, 05:42 PM.
              AMCA #776

Comment

Very interesting and informative video. Thanks for sharing. There are some smart people right there.

Comment

Mikuni feeds the bowl from the top. No bowlstem to tame down shaking.

Comment

I don't think it matters how it gets into the bowl, Jug!

It's how its sucked out.

I'm certain Mikunis have intermediate circuits and all sorts of bells and whistles that antiques do not,.. but aren't all those "jets" and stuff still in their own holes (sometimes called a "well") that are filled to the fuel level in the bowl?
                    Then that's the same as George Schebler's design.

Where's Kitabel when we need him?

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                    X