Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going down a long road alone.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am reading a book about George Loher that made a cross country bicycle ride. He started in Oakland California to Portland Oregon and then on to New York a total of 4,354 miles. It took 80 days total with 63 day riding. He kept a journal that was used for the basis of the book. It was wrote by his granddaughter and has commentary also by her. The amazing part of the story is that he completed the ride in 1895 on his Yellow Fellow Wheel bicycle. The name of the book is The Wonderful Ride written by Ellen Smith copyright 1978.
    Jim D

Comment

Jim;
      I believe I read the same books years ago!
      If I recall his friend turns back and George continues alone. Mostly rode on railway beds as that was the route between towns and cities.
      Also noted how many of the local Oakland "wheel clubs" of the day few if any explored beyond their own city.

Comment

Paul
        You are correct his friend became overwhelmed after a few days and quit the trip shortly after that. George was getting tired of be held up by his friend that really wasn't up to the physical requirements of the trip.
        Jim D

Comment

Working...
        X