Coker Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coker Tires

Why don't Coker Classic diamond tread tires have speed ratings, load ratings and suggested psi on them?

Because they are JUNK.

Comment

NICE!!!

Ok- I think Coker makes the tires very greasy so that they won't dry out over many years of sitting. Prob the norm for most bikes.

I'm on a pair of diamond treads with the IND SS. Would I scrape the boards into the corners with them? Nope. A set of modern avons will probably replace them for serious riding.

I'm running 36 psi in the rear. Have had the bike up to 80mph. No problems.
      4x18".

Comment

i thought thats why the boards were there (to scrape)and to keep you upright!i ve been scraping my boards ,even with the ole lady on ,for years.all this done on coker tires ,i run around 30 psi and they work great for me!

Comment

I agree with Indianut! They are JUNK and am surprised more people arent hurt on the crap! Avon does make an older looking tire that I use on my more modern MCs and they are GREAT,Ive always been taught the one thing you dont want to be is cheap when it comes to tires MC or Cars Ive lived by that !

Comment

We must thank Corky for putting so many bikes back on rubber. I, however, peeled a clicher off the front at 60 MPH and have never felt quite safe on Cokers again. Don't they state somewhere that their tires are for display?

Comment

Originally posted by inrustwetrust
              We must thank Corky for putting so many bikes back on rubber. I, however, peeled a clicher off the front at 60 MPH and have never felt quite safe on Cokers again. Don't they state somewhere that their tires are for display?
              A few years ago I asked at the Coker booth at Wauson about their 24 x 2.25 clincher tires. The reply was a question, "Are you going to ride the bike or just display it?" I allowed as to how if it would just be a display bike I would use the existing tires on it as I had been riding around for many years on them.

Their advice was that the clinchers in that size were probably only suitable for very limited road use.

I ended up buying new Dunlops, having to get them from England at about twice the price of the Cokers. My understanding is that the Dunlops, while made on the original molds (right down to the cameo picture of old John Boyd Dunlop on the sidewall) are made with modern rubber compounds. They appear original in all respects of labeling and marking but do have a manufacture date code on them - as did the old tires of the same brand and style.

The Dunlops have been quite satisfactory and have much better grip than the old ones.

One problem with clinchers is that the different brands of rim are often not quite the same size. This gives difficulty in matching up tires and rims to give a good fit, a problem not unknown with some odd brands of modern tires from strange places.

AFJ

Comment

Good thing to know about Dunlop as a potential source for clinchers. Price..... well the old saying about what you pay for a helmet is what your brain is worth applies even more so when it comes to tires.

Comment

Ride-on AVON.

Coker Show-'er.

Well ... it almost rhymes

Comment

OK, I talked to the Coker rep at Wauseon. Yes, the clinchers are for show, and limited rides. Now, what about their other, newer style tires? He said they are all fine, and road rated. The pair I got for my '65 say made in USA on the tires, and the box they came in. I have talked to Jeff at J&P, and he said he has used Cokers on several bobbers, and other bikes, and no problems. I won't have the '65 on the road this year, [we're not all rich, you know] but I am just hoping that there are no problems with these. They do have a guarentee. I am going to have it engraved on my tombstone if they fail. Any reliable info on these would be appreciated.

Comment

I have used coker Beck pattern 500-16 and 450-18 on my '47 knuckle and '47 45 his /hers pair for years and many miles. I have had decent wear and good grip with these tires. The trick is proper inflation. DO NOT try to run these at period pressure ratings. They will squirm and flex. i run a minimum of 30 PSI in the rear and 26 in the front. More is fine, less is trouble. They are made very differently than the originals and do not have stiff sidewalls. I run the original Goodyears on my UL sidecar rig at 18 rear 16 front and sidecar. If you want to push things use modern tires and forget about the look. Rubone

Comment

COKERS ARE CRAP!!!!

Cokers are made by a scooter tire company in south america with no quality standards, I have had experience with their car tires as well as M/C tires and they are all crap!! had 2 sets of their wide white car tires and both sets were out of round and took on average 5-8 oz of weight!!! they claim that 4-6oz is normal, I replied only if they were a monster truck or tractor tire!

I will hopefully be running Avons on my new 47 ul any suggestion on type and size??

Comment

Avon Gangster Whitewalls.

I run a 16" rim on my '47 chief. Best tires I've had on any motorcycle.

Comment

unfortunately for three of my bikes only Coker make the size , I have had little trouble apart from 1/ a blister forming on a 450 x 18 , this was sent back and an allowance was made on a new one , not enough but a help , this is wired on tyre , 2/ the 385 x 18 are ok for now , these are beaded edge (clincher) I run at about 35 front , 40 rear and 3/ 28 x2.1/2 button tread-- ouch!!! I run these at 40lbs , the rear wears out in 700 miles and replacement is £166-50p($311 US Dollars) which hurts !!!! and it is made in Vietnam , which doesn't bother me apart from Coker still charging the earth but probably only paying pennies !!!! Please Coker make tyres we can use not everyone sits their old bikes in the lounge !! Ken

Comment

I like what brian_groff said:

Ride on Avon,

Coker Show 'er........It's the Truth....

I wore through a rear end Commander in less than 5K, they look OK (Show 'er). They're just soft rubber. Sensitive to pressure, even wearing, but wore out fast. Didn't like braking, I found rubber dust all inside the fender, all the time.

Replaced those puppies with Avon 500-16 Safety Mileage MKII, front & rear. Look and ride nice. The Avon fellows confirmed reversing the rotation when fitted to the front.

RAS

Comment

Working...
                              X