Identify this motor 54R005 Indian!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify this motor 54R005 Indian!

I just found this motor at a tractor - gas engine show. Serial number 54R005. A search on the internet shows it is a first year 1920 37" Scout. Can someone verify this for me.

That is correct. As it is #5, you have one of the first Scout engines built, possibly the oldest in existence. A good acquisition.
    Pete Gagan

Comment

Pete, Thanks for the reply. Here are a few pics. Also it has a Bosch ZEV magneto which I assume to be correct. No carb or manifold. Motor has been dissasembled. flywheel assembly, rods, pistons, bearings out of motor but looks to be fairly complete.

Comment

Good Score kunzog !!!

Comment

WOW! That has to be the earliest known Scout engine. I had serial # 50R162 which is pictured in Jerry Hatfield's book dedicated to that model. At the time of publication I recall Jerry commenting 162 was the earliest number he had seen. You have to build a bike around that engine. Pick up a copy of Jerry's book for inspiration.

Comment

Cool your jets boys. That is not the earliest known 20's scout engine. I have a 53 and a 51 series scout engine and know of several others. One is in an original bike (shown at Farmington) and I am doing another one to be judged. Very hard bike to do but way cool! Still a good score.
            Regards,
            TR

Comment

The first two numbers tells you what series it was made, 50, 51, 52, 53 ect. as they made 999 of each series. Berry, yours is #0162 so it was number 162 off the line. kunzog's is actualy #4005, or number 4005 off the line and ect. I don't know why Indian did this but it was done for several years before someone came up with a better idea. Oh, the proper magneto was an AERO (impossable to find) but DIXI was used as a replacement.
              Regards,
              TR

Comment

Woops, I misread it . Better get a new prescription! Of course the first scout was 50r001. the one I had was the 162nd and of course a prefix of 54 means above 4000 bikes SORRY !

Comment

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the information. I had no idea what it was when I bought it.

Comment

Well it was valuable for a little while, Brian. I give you $50 for it.....
                    Just kidding , nice find!

Louie

Comment

I have an extra frame, forks, some sheetmetal amd misc parts if your interested in doing a 20' scout. I would love to see the judges try to figure these things out!

TR

Comment

How do you post big photos like the ones on Kunzog's post ?

Comment

Thanks Louie, I'll keep that in mind!

Comment

To Post pics like that you need a "Photo Host" I use
                            www.photobucket.com it's a free service. I use their IMG tag, some sites require you to use one of their other tags. Just cut and paste the tag line into the body of your message. I tried to post pics here using the regular method but apparently my file size is too large. Use the "Preview" feature on this forum to see if your post works. Brian

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'm still having some trouble but I'll keep working with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X