No announcement yet.

Ethanol Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I consider most gaulding instances as a type of welding. I am sure many of you have experienced that stiuation before in valve guides, bearing races, etc.. You find when you try and clean the gaulding up that the materials are actualy welded together and not embeded together. Paps

Comment

Oops my confusion!

I typed 'induction' when I was thinking something like 'inertial', such as where valves are manufactured by literally smashing a head upon a stem.

No matter which 'welding' it is, its a historical problem with valves and seats that no elixir seems to cure.

...Cotten

Comment

Yes, the inertia welding (friction welding is similar) process causes a solid state metal to metal bond without melting and is similar to galling in principal. Main difference is that inertia welding is macroscopic at the outset and galling (adhesive wear) is microscopic at the outset. Of course, galling is a progressive wear process and those microscopic weld spots tear out chunks of metal and the roughened surface leads to more galling and larger areas of adhesion and tear out until it becomes visible to the naked eye. Some of the loose particles of galled metal will oxidize and become abrasive, further accelerating wear of the two components.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten

Personally, I am still at a loss to explain why even when all is in perfect order, the front "runs hotter" than the rear.

...Cotten
          I was told once by John Nowak that the front wheel and fender blocks the airstream to the front cylinder.

Comment

HC!

Have you ever seen the parlor trick (well,..okay,.. barroom) where a match can be blown out easier on the far side of a bottle than without?

Try playing with a birthday candle and a beer bottle at about 18 inches, and you will see how a curved surface can actually focus airflow to where you would think it should be blocked.

....Cotten

Comment

Here's a link to another possible explanation for why the front runs hotter. I remember reading the article by Warner Riley years ago when it was published in Cycle World (I think). I can't say that it applys to a non racing application but you never know.
              http://www.dansmc.com/piddling.htm

Comment

Kojak!

This had been mentioned on another forum, but now I can grasp it a little better, thanks!

It implies that the front's slower intake velocity burns hotter. Gotta.. think... about.. that... .... .. ..

Hokay. The fuel drops out of atomized solution and turns lean, right?

....Cotten

Comment

Yeah, I mentioned that on the Virtual Indian forum and was greeted with complete silence. LOL. Back when I read the article, I think that Riley was implying that, due to the front cylinder having just been filled, the air-fuel mixture was already moving when the rear intake opened and it created a supercharging effect. The mixture was almost stationary by the time the front intake opened again and had to get moving to fill the cylinder. This caused the front cylinder to run a little leaner. He angled the carb to give a straighter shot at the front intake (or a less direct shot at the rear intake?) and corrected the problem. I'm not sure how fast he was cranking those sportster engines or if this would apply to engines run at normal speeds but it's something to think about. If this thinking really applies, I'd guess that engines with two separate intake tracts would allow the front cylinder to run as cool as the rear, or the rear cylinder to run as hot as the front, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten
                    HC!

Have you ever seen the parlor trick (well,..okay,.. barroom) where a match can be blown out easier on the far side of a bottle than without?

Try playing with a birthday candle and a beer bottle at about 18 inches, and you will see how a curved surface can actually focus airflow to where you would think it should be blocked.

....Cotten
                    Anything that involves a beer bottle is worth investigating!

Thanks....

Comment

Let me know if angling the beer bottle 2-1/2 degrees towards the candle changes anything. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Kojack

Let me know if angling the beer bottle 2-1/2 degrees towards the candle changes anything. LOL
                        I wonder if the beer bottle is supposed to be full or empty?

I'm hoping empty and thinking about it is giving me a thirst anyway....

Comment

Working...
                        X