Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I still have scars. Mine were from the 50's & 60's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still have scars. Mine were from the 50's & 60's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SeibnBWx2Q

Really brings back the remembries.

That was fun, thanks for sharing. Loved the part where granny helps the little one on the trike. God bless her.

Kevin

Kevin
    https://www.youtube.com/c/motodesoto

Comment

Originally posted by pem View Post
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SeibnBWx2Q

Really brings back the remembries.
      Sure does PEM! My Schwinn was a custom Metal-Flake blue Stingray 3-speed, sissy bar/monkey bar, white banana seat, and a slick rear. Bought with back-breaking paper route money. Five of us went to the Detroit City Airport to mess around, when we came out, the lock was cut, and my Stingray and another bicycle were gone. The little bastards left us two basket-case bicycle's in place of the two new bikes stolen. Plus, my Dad...'really gave it to me' for that un-scheduled road trip!
      *M.A.D.*
      Last edited by JoJo357; 01-02-2019, 02:11 PM.

Comment

To have your bike stolen must have been heartbreaking especially after lugging all those newspapers around. Not a good welcome to the real world at that age.

We had a cul-de-sac on our block that was a perfect circle track to race our bikes. One kid would drop his pedal and drift over and poke it in your spokes. What an asshole.

When we had to babysit our younger brothers and sisters we would take the handles off the strollers and race them flat track style on our crushed limestone driveway. Drifting through the corners with limestone shooting onto the the grass. They loved it but dad wasn't too happy about the mess. We could push them all afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by JoJo357 View Post
          Sure does PEM! My Schwinn was a custom Metal-Flake blue Stingray 3-speed, sissy bar/monkey bar, white banana seat, and a slick rear.
          My last adolescent bicycle sounds just like your's, JoJo; except mine wasn't a Schwinn, and it was metal flake bronze. My Dad agreed to put in half, of what it cost, but he wound up doing more like 2/3rds That bike replaced a J.C. Higgins that was by far a better bike, and a bicycle that I rode many miles. I was disappointed with the banana seat bike as a rider, but I thought I was cool riding it. Nowadays, I ride a bicycle every day and I get to re-visit my youth with every ride. Honestly, bicycling is just like going back to your youth, and a lot easier on the lower extremity cartilage
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

Ya man, lots of memories guys. The bicycle... a precursor to a mini-bike, and then...A Motorcycle!
            In 1966, Chrysler donated 33 acres to the Michigan Bicycling Foundation, and Dorais Park in Detroit built this Bicycle Velodrome. They ran World Class events, next to Derby Hill, where we competed in the Soap Box Derby. Like everything else in Detroit, it went to ruins. We rode bicycles, go Karts, motorcycles on that abandoned 43 degree 1/5 mile track.
            2428908.jpg120911 005.jpg>>>Dorais Park. Detroit.

This is the Packard Proving Grounds, in Shelby Township, Michigan. My Grandfather left Henderson Motorcycle Company after the brothers sold out to Schwinn. His next stop was Packard Motor Company, where we had picnics on the Proving Grounds. Many years later, i rode Motorcycles on that abandoned 2.5 mile track, on my way home. Unbelievable, that the whole complex was left to rot away. Until recently, the Packard Foundation restored the buildings, but only a short strip of the oval remains. Also, Charles Lindbergh flew on and off the straightaways of that oval track.
            000-Packard_Proving_Grounds.jpg004-1940s_Aerial_View.JPG

*M.A.D.*
            Last edited by JoJo357; 01-03-2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I am sure the color video camera wasn't cheap back then . What really takes you back, are the cars on the street. My bikes were always hand me downs. No Schwinn Banana peelers or Pea pickers

Comment

Very cool video. I was not surprised by what they were up to or even the size of the ramp, I was surprised that all of that was going on with adult supervision. I still have my 1977 Sting Ray, single speed coaster brake, that my father bought me new.

PS that cool hand shifter was a real nut buster.

Comment

Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end..... Yeah...., Hi-Fi blue Schwinn Sting-Ray, White Banana seat, Chrome "Girder" front end, Chrome "Sissy" bar and of course, A "Cheater" slick. We would wear out that rear tire till the cord showed thru.
                  D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by Architect View Post
                    Very cool video. I was not surprised by what they were up to or even the size of the ramp, I was surprised that all of that was going on with adult supervision. I still have my 1977 Sting Ray, single speed coaster brake, that my father bought me new.

PS that cool hand shifter was a real nut buster.
                    HA HA you know it, I had a blue Schwinn banana myself...Man cant believe what they bring now for money...

Comment

Working...
                    X