No announcement yet.

Sidecar for Panhead - Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree that a Goulding looks good on a panhead, and handles better than a Harley chair, weighing a bit less. Setting up is the key- toe the bike in towards the sidecar approx 1 1/2" in the length of the bike, and lean the bike about 1" away from the chair. Use straight edges such as 2x4's or steel stock. Set up like that, it will steer hands off, and track true. If you are carrying a heavy passenger, you may need to lean out a bit further.
    Chrome nosed Gouldings are OK, but I like mine with the chrome petals on my '50 FL.
    Big American bikes have such strong frames, (particularly rigid ones) that three fittings usually suffice- two on the bottom, and one at the top. usually under the seat, but occasionally below the steering head.
    If the chair is mounted US style on the right, slow down before right handers, and accelerate around the corner. Approach a left at speed, and brake around, and it will save your arm muscles. A separately operated sidecar brake if fitted puts a new spin on the above, for obvious reasons.
    Pete Gagan, AMCA prez.[

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Gagan
      I agree that a Goulding looks good on a panhead, and handles better than a Harley chair, weighing a bit less. Setting up is the key- toe the bike in towards the sidecar approx 1 1/2" in the length of the bike, and lean the bike about 1" away from the chair. Use straight edges such as 2x4's or steel stock. Set up like that, it will steer hands off, and track true. If you are carrying a heavy passenger, you may need to lean out a bit further.
      Chrome nosed Gouldings are OK, but I like mine with the chrome petals on my '50 FL.
      Big American bikes have such strong frames, (particularly rigid ones) that three fittings usually suffice- two on the bottom, and one at the top. usually under the seat, but occasionally below the steering head.
      If the chair is mounted US style on the right, slow down before right handers, and accelerate around the corner. Approach a left at speed, and brake around, and it will save your arm muscles. A separately operated sidecar brake if fitted puts a new spin on the above, for obvious reasons.
      Pete Gagan, AMCA prez.[
      Pete, does your 50FL have the sidecar Hydra-Glide and reverse gear?

That was such a great combination. The word "perfect" almost comes to mind.

Am I dreaming this, or did the 1949 factory sidecar FL package still come with a spring fork? Not directed to anyone in particular....

Comment

I wish it did, Herb. It seems to steer rather well with the standard forks, but the reverse would be nice. Its a pretty heavy bike to push, although being used to sidecar outfits with no reverse, one gets used to stopping in an advantageous position. I will be persuing both those items at swap meets this year, though. I just fitted the sidecar last week.

Comment

Ahhh !you both are right on! my 47FL with dealer installed Gouldhack and reverse is just wonderful hardly any thought to where your going to park! I love it but seldom use it,Cannt get off my Indians!

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPPY NEWYEAR ONE & ALL !!

Comment

Pete,
            Reading your reply on how to install a sidecar with a 1 1/2" toe in I just have to ask what kind of rear tire wear do you get before having to replace it? it will handle good I am sure but the bike is only pushing against the sidecar causing the rear tire to grind the inside tread off.

I know that for years Harley suggested to use 3/4" toe in and that still chewed the tires up I set my 72 FL with 65HD car at 5/16" toe in and got about 7500 miles out of a rear tire.

I have found by trial and error that 2x4's aren't the best to use what I have found is by using 8' flouresent light bulbs on some home made stands seem to work pretty darn good.

Always wanted to set the rig up like a tractor with the independant rear and sidecar break systems just never did but I rode a couple of sidecar rigs that were set up that way,they were a blast but to a novice it could get you in trouble if they were not use to a sidecar and it's handling charterstics.

HeyInline
            How about a photo of the HD and Goulding rig? to see Being a sidecar fanatic and truely loving the older ones would really like to see what you have!!

Comment

The thing about reverse is how addicting it is. Once you get used to it being there you feel indignant NOT having reverse. Without it you are always looking for easy get-away spots or pulling up on an incline so you can roll backwards. Having to get off to push looks so -- undignified -- esp. for the AMCA prez. While backing out always turns heads.

Hope you find those parts soon!

Seems I remember the Hydra-Glide sidecar fork clamps were eagerly sought by chopper builders so they could increase the rake and add insanely long tubes. Something else I traded for were those clamps. My 50FL was a 4-speed solo bike when I got it, and I refurbished it esp. for daily winter sidecar use back in college in the early 70s when I didn't own a car. Nice flat black paint job stood out in the snow. Back around 1950 Harley-Davidson was still catering to the winter rider and they carried that right up to the AMF years it seems. I know my mom bought me "gen-u-whine" Harley-Davidson winter mitts around 1973-74. They were warm enough but lacked a fur backing on the gauntlet so you could reach up and warm your freezing face. I think I glued some rabbit fur onto them.

When I got my FL reverse I was amazed how many pieces it took compared to the 45 reverse. I made a trade for a bunch of Panhead stuff, etc. for a 1919 Indian twin engine. Even back then I probably got ripped, but I needed Harley stuff lots more than that poor little orphan Indian.

Comment

While I'm thinking about this stuff I should dust off my Servi-Car battery and see if it still takes a charge. It's like 5 ni-cad wet-cells taped together.

Comment

Harley Creation What the heck is a R.K.??!?

Comment

As a further comment on toe in, I will try it at less and see how it is. Toe in corrects front end shake, and so does more fork rake. I expect if the sidecar forks were fitted, you could get away with less toe in. I had a Vincent Rapide with a sidecar a few years back, and also an Ariel sq. 4 for a while. The Vincent required less toe in, but it had adjustable forks, while the Ariel did not.
                    Pete

Comment

Bill...
                      I think HarleyCreation used R.K for Road King? It sounded like he was talking about a modern bike.
                      Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by BEK
                        Bill...
                        I think HarleyCreation used R.K for Road King? It sounded like he was talking about a modern bike.
                        Bruce
                        Yes, Road King. Don't get me wrong, it was a very nice bike but compared to a 50FL set up for sidecar the R.K. seemed it had de-evolved and felt like a very well-dressed and jewelry laden but flabby out-of-shape person who couldn't drag himself out of bed in the morning (wouldn't start below about 25 F.)

With reverse gear, snow tires, and reliable cold-weather starting it would have done a much better job.

Comment

Pete,

Less toe in will extend your rear tire life but the setup also has to track straight what I have done is "preloaded the rig".

By this I mean using weight that equals the rider on the bike and the same weight as the passanger if there may be one (sometimes a touchy subject ) or leaving what ever ballast in the sidecar

By doing this and adjusting the toe in on the rig you will have a much more acurate adjustment as the toe in WILL change when a person does not preload the machine.

After that it is just a matter of either leaning the bike in OR out depending on which way it is pulling when traveling down the road something to also consider is wether the road has a crown in it or not as the rig will follow the crown.

The adjustable forks do help considerably this is what is refered to as trail adjustment something that the more serious sidecarist get in to are the leading link frontends.

This basicly is simular to a set of forks with a swingarm mounted to them along with shocks these more commonly seen on the older Ural and BMW rigs.

Oh one other thing your arms feel a heck of a lot better to

Comment

Pete,
                            I've got about 95% of the guts of a 3 speed and reverse gearbox, if youré interested contact me.
                            Personally I'd rather ride with that extra forward gear as the drop from top to second in a 3 speed box is just to much in my opinion. I do about 10,000 miles a year on sidecar rigs and you soon learn the tricks to make life easier for yourself.

Merry Xmas to one and all.

Tommo

Comment

Originally posted by Tommo

Personally I'd rather ride with that extra forward gear as the drop from top to second in a 3 speed box is just to much in my opinion. I do about 10,000 miles a year on sidecar rigs and you soon learn the tricks to make life easier for yourself.

Merry Xmas to one and all.

Tommo
                              I always liked the 3 speed gearbox alot, both in a solo bike and sidecar.

Second was such a useful gear and saved lots of shifting. You could slow way down in 2nd for turning corners, then really wind that baby out with just one shift to get into into high. That's why I cannot understand the current new fetish for a 6 speed Harley gearbox. We used to laugh at Jap bikes that had so many gears because they had no power so they needed extra gears.

The 3-speed is why the 45 solo could keep up with 4-speed hand-shifter Big Twins off the line for a ways too as they would have to shift sooner while the 45 could keep accelerating without shifting. And that was really good if all you had to go to was the next stop light.

But of course to each his own and Harley-Davidson was kind enough back then to offer more useful options than now if you exempt all the chrome bric-a-brac.

My ni-cad Servi-Car battery seems to be holding a charge. Wouldn't it be a miracle if I actually got it going this winter instead of just sitting on my butt.

Comment

Hey Guys, I just got into Sidecar rigs after many years of wondering why anyone would want to ride like that! No Freedom of back roads!, such bulk!,...Now I enjoy back roads and the extra room! Not to mention the smiles from ear to ear of friend with me! I never take riding it for granted as is the same when I get on the other bikes. It did open up my Life long riding enjoyment to another level. Mine a 58FLH with correct frame and box handled okay in the begining year, and like everything else I got the bugs out completely that my Motorcycle tracks straight and I can remove my hands from the bars (Briefly!) until gas or braking is needed. I'm using the 4spd gearbox yet as I do live in a somewhat hilly area and am doing fine parking it places. People often ask don't I have reverse and like riding motorcycles I can push it fine when needed. Modifications are just that, correct parts are always key, you can't go wrong with the H-D investment for your Motorcycle. Patience is a good thing and I believe anyone who is into antique bikes already has that. Happy Holidays to all! I'm stuck in the Northeast Winter...

Comment

Working...
                                X