Sidecar for Panhead - Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidecar for Panhead - Question

I have always wanted to try a sidecar. I have a 56 panhead that I would like to use. I don't want to pay a lot and I like the vintage look of the russian URAL /DNEPR sidecars. Most of all I like the price.

The question is, has anyone used one of these sidecars on a rigid framed Harley. Do they work on the old Harleys. The diagrams that show possible connecting points show bikes with rear suspension. Anyone have any luck or advise with regards to these sidecars. I want to get into the sidecar business without a lot of investment.

Jim

The Ural sidecars I looked at were ruggedly constructed but a bit roughly finished, that's been a couple of years ago though. Study the Harley and Ural mountings and see if you can make a compromise. What you want to try for are two high and two low attachments at opposite ends. Ural pretty much copied BMW on everything so you may be able to get some help from BMW riders. I've heard of BMW owners using Ural sidecars because of the similar styles. Ural also copied BMW's ball and claw quick release mounting system, so if you want to keep that, you can ask the BMW riders where you can get some balls. Well, uh, you know what I mean.

Comment

Sidecar Info

dear Jim go to www.sidecar.com the web site for the sidecar club.
      they have a ton of info for sidecar dealers.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's. I am still looking and had already saved that website in my favorites. Thanks again.

Jim

Comment

Jim,

As Cass said if you go to sidecar.com there is a ton of info. there also for another well informed sidecar group you may want to try
          the internet sidecar owners klub you will find a link to them in the links and clubs section of sidecar.com the finish on the urals have improved a bit but could still use a little help in that department good luck

Comment

Jim, just my 2 cents here,personally I wouldnt consider putting anything but an HD cart or maybe a Goulding on that nice 1956 Pan1 I also believe with a little hunting you can find either of the for mentioned for as little as 2000 dollars and on the other end if you decide to get rid of it youll get all your money back,and that isnt a bad thing! But there again this is just my take on the subject. What ever you decide ENJOY !!!

Comment

I do have to agree with Inline that if you are looking for a sidecar a ural or dnepr would really look out of place not to mention that you will have to modify any mounting hardware that comes with it.

Another thing is to be sure that you properly align the bike and sidecar for proper tracking and handeling.

My vote would be for a Chrome nose Goulding but I don't think you will find one in the 2000. range

Comment

Jim,

What was the decision on the sidecar?
                there is a Goulding here forsale maybe try the want ads at sidecar.com

Comment

INLINE4NUT is absolutely correct, run a real HD sidecar. I have a 1951 FL and I ran a '39 HD sidecar on it for years. HD sidecars fit perfectly, are well balanced, and look right. . . . . Oh yeah, and they are unbelievably comfortable.

On the down side, they are hell on a motorcycle. Wheel bearings, spokes, tires, primary drives, and bottom ends will get a first class whuppin'. In spite of that, I regret selling mine, and I can honestly say the fun of a sidecar far outweighs the bad.

Comment

When a (tug) the bike is set up properly with a sidecar with a few modifications changing the gearing,adjustable triple trees and most important the alignment of the two together to minimize rear tire wear.
                    When they aren't aligned correctly the handling can pull the rig to the left or right this also makes for a long and unenjoyable day for the rider who has to constantly push on the bars to keep the rig straight down the road.
                    Rear tire wear will go straight down the tubes with some getting as little as a 1000 miles from the tire.
                    With the proper alignment monitering the rear tire wear and also the gas mileage a person can have a finely tuned sidecar rig for themselves and like Eric said there a blast to run around on.
                    I just sold a mid 60's hd car that was on my 72 FL for the past 13 years and I still regret it.
                    Jim there is nothing saying that you have to run a HD car with the Pan the old photos will show you a fair amount of mixtures of different bikes and cars together.
                    To me there is nothing like a Chrome nose with a Pan head

Comment

Sidecars

HD Sidecars even look good on an Indian. I had one on a 1948 Chief. Like others, I regret selling it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

What a response. I have been out of town for a while and just noticed the traffic about my sidecar question. Chuck, I haven't made a decision yet. I agree that a Harley or Goulding sidecar would probably be the best for me since I also have a 46 FL that I could mount it to also. I was hoping to not have to put a lot of dough down. I appreciate the responses and since I now have access to a computer again I will check out sidecar.com and some of the other web sites suggested.

Thanks

Jim

Comment

KUNZOG Shame on you never the bastard child Harley with the PURE BREAD INDIAN!! HA!HA!

Jim,Please take your time I have seen a few Gouldings go off on EBAY 2-4 this year! The HD ones are fewre between but I think the key is being willing to wait will get you one at a fair price,If I run across one Ill let you know !

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEWYEAR ONE & ALL !!!!

Comment

On e-bay there is a HD car there now but somebody installed later model lights ALL over the thing last I saw it was up to $5000. like inline said one will come along good luck

Comment

Sidecars are a blast!

At least until spring comes and you can't wait to take it off!

A few years ago I was writing a piece about sidecars for -- shall we say -- a "large" motorcycle company.

I managed to get a loaner sidecar rig on a R.K. which I said that I would have to keep all winter because it would be too late in the year to return it long distance (heh heh!)

So I went down and picked it up in late fall. The guy who turned it over to me asked rather suspiciously: "Have you ever ridden a sidecar?" I told him yes, but I'm not sure he believed me, but okay: "Here you go. Good luck!"

Riding to my relative's home in that same area, I noticed some "flopping around" of the bike when I turned corners. I thought: "Hmm...new sidecars sure don't handle like my old 50FL did." When I stopped I noticed that I could lean the bike side to side several inches. YIKES!

Safely arriving at my relatives, I checked the mounts and damned if they weren't loose and ready to fall off! I couldn't believe it. It almost seemed like sabotage because they were supposed to have checked it out!

But hey, I had the unit and I wasn't about to take it back for a "minor" adjustment like that. Luckily my brother has my old 50FL so I got my old sidecar wrenches out and and tightened it up. But then I found the thing was WAY OFF and hauled you right off the road when you took hands off the handlebar.

But that's easy too. I borrowed my brothers socket wrench (5/8" maybe?) and put him in the sidecar and off we went. Ride a little. Get off and adjust the sidecar a little. Ride some more and adjust again, etc. etc. Before long it tracked PERFECTLY no handed. Good enough!

It was fun and my old wintershield matched up close enough to the R.K. windshield to use with it. Fancy that! I had those canvas guards on the crashbars too. Those helped. Rode it all winter except that it would hardly turn over and start below about 20 F. even tho I put lightweight 5-30W oil in it. That was sad. Can you imagine Bill Harley hearing: "Oh, we engineered your bike so it won't start in moderately cold weather." Also it got stuck rather easily in the snow and no reverse gear was a bummer. But it was more powerful than my Servi-Car and it was fun giving rides.

Sidecars heap big fun!

Comment

Working...
                              X