Counting down to Oley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post
    AFJ That is a neat story. If you haven't, you should write it down for future generations. Jerry
    I have saved a file of it, as with other stories.
    AFJ

Comment

Originally posted by govmule84 View Post
      ^Do this, please! I can help if needed.

Thanks, but I save this sort of stuff as routine practice.
      AFJ

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        Your relationship with your Brough is very admirable, AFJ and is the essence of what our vintage motorcycle obsession is all about. I apologize for the cynicism that came off in my initial post as that attitude never makes a cogent point of view. Also, I have no right to criticize people who don't do their own work because there are many factors, and physical impediment that can make it difficult for people to be vertically integrated in this complex hobby. We all love these motorcycles in our own way. And thanks for the great story about George Brough.
        No apology needed, glad you enjoyed the story.
        I recollect many, many stories and tales told about motorcycling "back when" that I have heard from riders or witnessed myself from long ago which many people would enjoy reading. I think sometimes that our AMCA magazine skims over our pastime of old motorcycles in a rather superficial way and could do with some of this (to me, anyway) interesting history being recounted for the next generations coming along.
        AFJ

Comment

AFJ, I agree, and I think the anecdotal stories about the bikes, people, factories, and dealers is what gives our old bike culture it's color. We can't go back to the past, but first hand stories (like your's) are what help to bring that history to life. One thing I have discovered is; everyone has a motorcycle story. Whenever I talk to someone older than myself, I ask them if they have a motorcycle story; and they always do. It can be something as simple as a ride on a cousin's loud Harley, or someone from a family of motorcycle dealers. Motorcycles leave a deep impression on people; no matter how brief their encounter is.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

At this point I am counting down to Wauseon. ;-)
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
            X