AMA lobbying for comments to NHTSA for Automated Driving Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay then Folks,...

What national motorcyclists's rights group should we turn to?

Thanks in advance,

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I'm a charter life member of the AMA but have not paid attention to them in years. Not sure when I last saw a magazine but realized a while back I no longer got it. Must not have paid a renewal for the mag only, which used to come free to life members. They, along with manufacturers and society in general , are fractured and spend all their time and effort on a narrow focus to the detriment of all other factions. When they dropped the pro racing I dropped my interest as they chopped all support for vintage racing at that time as well, leaving those like AHRMA high and dry on insurance and venues. The entire industry is so fractured that the feds don't need to worry, motorcyclists will doom themselves sooner than later.
      As for year pins there are three distinct types over the years, and all modern versions are "made in China".
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

So we just give up and cry, right?

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Who is we Tom, you are the only one that can be depended on to cry over everything. Everybody else actually has a life and goes on with it.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
            Who is we Tom, you are the only one that can be depended on to cry over everything. Everybody else actually has a life and goes on with it.
            Yeah, Damn all them other motorcyclists anyway...

....Cotten
            PS: DOH! But don't they vote,.. ?
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-05-2017, 05:05 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

The AMA will still be lobbying in Washington and the MMA does what the AMA does nationally for us out here on the left coast. Most states have a similar organization which also will stand for their state motorcyclists in Washington.
              DrSprocket

Comment

Here in Europe we have FEMA and FIVA in Brussels lobbying the European Parliament on, respectively, motorcyclists rights and historic vehicles. Both have Websites. I met with the two organisations years ago on behalf of the AMCA, back when Pete Gagan was President and I was on the AMCA Board. FEMA have been arguing about horsepower restrictions and, more recently, against such craziness as mandatory self-inflating safety suits for motorcyclists, while FIVA relentlessly try to keep historic vehicles on the road by asking for exemptions on emissions and technical inspection legislation. Don't think it can't happen in the US guys. I would guess the Historic Vehicle Association (HVA) in the US is the obvious group we should be in contact with, but that means we first need to reach a Club consensus on what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by ihrescue View Post
                  Hi Folks:

Short and sweet this is about a link to American Motorcycle Association (AMA) and their effort to lobby support for more consideration, testing and technology to detect the presence of motorcycles in the future of vehicle driving. Automated safety features will continue to evolve and will probably only serve to make automobile drivers even less aware then they are now of motorcycles. If the automation doesn't adequately detect motorcycles, which currently it does not then it could increase risk to motorcycle riders. AMA has prepared an "Act on a Regulation" registration process that will count your voice in on supporting more tweaking of the technology so that it better detects the presence of motorcycles. Counting you in would send your name, address and email with a prepared statement to the National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration (NHTSA). NHTSA on September 15, 2017 opened a request for comments and the "Act on a Regulation" process is a well crafted statement by AMA to this end. Comment period closes on November 14, 2017 so the window is closing to have your voice heard. Obviously you can review material at NHTSA and make your own specific comments and I provide links below for that. I think this is a good idea.

I made a TinyURL for the link because original it was huge: http://tinyurl.com/motorcyclestoo
                  This link takes you to AMA's position which I agree with and submitted to NHTSA.

Thanks
                  Mike Love

More links:

NHTSA report and vision Automated Driving Systems 2.0 http://tinyurl.com/automateddrivingsystems

Proposed rule making text in Federal Register https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...ion-for-safety

Comment on your own HERE https://www.regulations.gov/document...2017-0082-0001

This includes an overview and description of the info in the Federal Register
                  A central repository of associated references to this and other NHTSA ADS resources will be maintained at http://www.nhtsa.gov/technology-inno...mated-vehicles

And just for eye appeal a photo from the recent Jefferson Meet. Here is part of Russ' Winner's Circle Indian.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21066[/ATTACH]
                  Okay this is pretty old thread but I appreciate a comment I received as a personal message with new thoughts and perspectives

You can go to the link on an article discussing who is liable when a car is driving itself. Here is the link https://www.pittmandutton.com/firm-n...f-driving-car/

Who is indeed? Is the car driving it self? Or is a smart road controlling the car? In my state if you get caught speeding or running a red light on camera enforcement it is the registered owner that is notified to pay the fine. It is an interesting question. I still need to read this article in more depth.

Mike Love

Comment

Working...
                  X