Harley and the davidsons :-)(-:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H&D miniseries:

I started watching part 2. Although it ain't my conception of REAL Harley-Davidson history, it is starting to grow on me. The mini-series does hit several high points:

There was a predecessor first vehicle--although it was portrayed as being nearly as capable as the 1904 job--so the important back-to-the-drawing-board first learning experience was missed.

The danger of motordrome racing was nicely expressed along with H-D's reluctance to race the drome--although they larded on plenty of fictions to show it.

The point was made that H-D (Walter) had factory speed-raced early on then dropped out. This important point is almost universally missed by writers and historians but it's fact! Then in the early teens H-D came back strong in the dirt. Most accounts tell that H-D didn't race before that time. Totally false.

The importance of the 1916 Dodge City 300 miler to H-D was well portrayed--however the real 1916 winner Irving Janke was dumped for Shrimp Burns & Ray Weishaar. Poor Irving got the short shaft!

Only after the 1916 Dodge City race is the Harley 8-valve unveiled in the film--and it looked pretty darn good for a mock up bike--but in fact the Harley 8-valve won Dodge City in 1916. Events and bikes out of joint again.

The famous piglet was nicely shown after 1916 Dodge City--although the real piggie was in the 1920s not 1916. I appreciated the reference being made that Weishaar was a man "who hogged the track" and NOT the dubious claim that's how the "hog" nickname originated which is a much more recent (1960s?) invention and didn't originate in the 1920s as now claimed.

Similarly, the moniker "wrecking crew" was also introduced after Dodge 1916 in the film--although from another thread we know it appeared only after WW1 and may not have been used as a proper name title for Harley's racing team until possibly decades later. Another possible mythical introduction posing as fact.

In the trailer for part 3 there's a 36EL in evidence, so the direction in which this thing is going is clear. So maybe in a warped kind of way they did do their homework like Billy D. said! Seems like it's shaping up that way.
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

I have watched all 3 episodes. It seems they make Bill Davidson very absent and with no input or decision makings. Is that the way it really was? I was also disappointed in that Bill Harley, Arthur Davidson and Bill Davidson were never seen riding a bike in any of the 3 episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by harleytoprock View Post
        I have watched all 3 episodes. It seems they make Bill Davidson very absent and with no input or decision makings. Is that the way it really was? I was also disappointed in that Bill Harley, Arthur Davidson and Bill Davidson were never seen riding a bike in any of the 3 episodes.
        That's my take too. They have them driving autos when they should be on bikes or sidecars. Although the early autos do give the flick a vintage visual appeal. Big Bill Davidson is omitted from many scenes. In some of the blurbs reference is made to "three founders" when of course there were four founders plus Lang.
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======

Comment

For the Aussie audience.
          Thu 17th Nov, 8.30pm on Discovery channel.
          Repeated Friday 18th, Sunday 20th & Thu 24th.

Comment

I really should finish watching Part 2...
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======

Comment

Working...
            X