When did jockey shifting come about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by exeric View Post
    The handle under the seat is a clutch handle, which was stock on Js of the that era. The shifter is still intact on the tank.
    So...

It was a jockey clutch and not a jockey shift!

"Jockey shift" seems like a post-War era term to me.
    And I don't think the term "suicide clutch" came about until after the handlebar clutch was produced.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-05-2016, 09:23 AM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

That auxiliary clutch handle was standard equipment for many teen, and twenties era motorcycles. Henderson had that up to 1928, and 1925 for H-D (I think). It was a practical feature because those bikes had no front brake, and the hand clutch allowed a stopped rider to have both feet on the ground to engage the clutch. or have one foot on the brake for hill holding. So, it was an auxiliary clutch, not a jockey clutch because those bikes primarily used a clutch pedal.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

interesting, Herbert your comments were fun reading too.

Comment

Quite a lot of flat tank Nortons have low gear shift levers that could be described as jockey shifters so they were certainly not uncommon in the 1920's.

John

Comment

No guys, they didn't change gears while climbing the hill.
            Most were single speed gear boxes with extensions added to the shifter mechanism.
            They were either in gear or out.

Comment

Originally posted by govmule84 View Post
              I would think Fifties at the latest, given Lanza's Quicksilver. That bike was built in '57, no?
              What is Lanza's Quicksilver? See, if I was cool I would know that. Is there a photo?

It seems to me that in the (early/mid?) 1950s Enthusiast there's a photo of a stripped down chopperish looking drag bike. May have had a small tank. Not sure. A drag bike would shift gears. But did early drag guys reach down and jockey shift them?
              Herbert Wagner
              AMCA 4634
              =======
              The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                Not sure. A drag bike would shift gears. But did early drag guys reach down and jockey shift them?
                Those early drag guys would have used a "Speed-E-Shift". I don't know about Quicksilver, but I think the custom car scene, of the late '40s, thru '50s included motorcycles, and the Southern California Kustom Kulture was very innovative. Who knows who built the first chopper? Look at Cut-Down Js, and custom Power Plus Indians that go back to the 1920s. Nothing new under the sun.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

https://www.google.com/search?q=dean...PYWBL5u52mM%3A
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                    So...

"Jockey shift" seems like a post-War era term to me.
                    And I don't think the term "suicide clutch" came about until after the handlebar clutch was produced.

....Cotten
                    My thoughts are that the only "Suicide" type clutch would be what is on Fours. A sprung car type that cannot be locked in place like a "Rocker" type. Foot off and you are gone.
                    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
                      My thoughts are that the only "Suicide" type clutch would be what is on Fours. A sprung car type that cannot be locked in place like a "Rocker" type. Foot off and you are gone.
                      D.A.!

I think Servis had no friction damper, but I never rode one...

At any rate, the dampered rockers interfere with the feel for the clutch, at least for those that punish them, so the damper was often released anyway.
                      Once assemblies wore out, there was no 'sweet spot' where it free-wheeled into engagement, but still stuck safely when extremely disengaged. Thus the truly suicidal aspect was sitting at a stop with both feet on the ground, with the pedal ready to pop itself from vibration, and launching you into an intersection, or whatever.

It only took once to learn to get into neutral when coming to a stop, and never trust a damper.
                      (I always thought they were for fording streams...)

But I believe the origin of the vernacular "suicide clutch" was a combination of dealers pushing modern handclutches, and then the custom scene with simple pedals, when it could be spread by magazines to the next generation.

....Cotten
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-11-2016, 11:59 AM.
                      AMCA #776
                      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
                      X