When did jockey shifting come about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did jockey shifting come about?

This may be a bit of a strange question.

When did folks on Harleys start putting their shift lever directly on the trans-top? I am aware the factory bikes were all tank-shift until '52, and I am also aware that some Indians were factory jockey setups. I also know that the Race of Gentlemen does not permit this modification on (Harley) bikes entering to race.

I have seen the occasional photo of a 40's-50's bike that is not a chopper with a hand-shift top, but I'm not certain if that is correct for the period, or added later.

Did this practice come about as a way to have a more direct, positive shift feel for racing, or is this a modification that came later (in the early chopper era) with the advent of removing fat bobs?

Pics are always appreciated

-L.
    Last edited by govmule84; 10-02-2016, 02:55 PM.

Indian had direct to the shifter fork, shift levers starting with the first 1922 Chief, and available up through the 1953 Chief, (or so I understand). My '24 Big Chief had the direct shifter (on the right), which took a bit of getting used to, but I loved it after the learning curve. I rode one Knucklehead with a direct shifter under the seat (i.e. jockey shift), and hated it. I think a person can get used to anything but why bother if it was available in a better form; which is the stock tank shift. I don't think the architecture of the H-D loaned itself to efficient jockey shifting compared to an Indian. With the H-D, your clutch pedal, and shifter are on the same side, which again, you can get used to, but reaching under the seat, and pushing a clutch pedal may look cool, but a racer would have hated it, from a balance point of view.

I believe it was a chopper thing because 3.5 gallon tanks were really gauche to mid '60s, and later chopper builders. The peanut, and Sportster tank were the thing. The other thing I hated was using a chain instead of the clutch lever rod.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I'm surprised no one responded to this post as it is an interesting topic. I should add, H-D offered hand shift into the 1970 sometime. It was still requested by some motorcycle cops.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        I'm surprised no one responded to this post as it is an interesting topic. I should add, H-D offered hand shift into the 1970 sometime. It was still requested by some motorcycle cops.
        And bikes with a 3 & R transmission.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Think about it Folks,

"Jockey" refers to a racing horse jockey's left hand low and behind his leg to 'crop' the horse.
          So it would be appropriate only for custom H-D applications (or perhaps an Indian that snapped the lever in half).

Everything else is just 'hand' or 'tank' shift.

.....Cotten
          AMCA #776
          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I always thought it was a chopper innovation too and not a 1930s-40s thing.

When did guys start putting smaller, non fatbob tanks on footclutch Harleys? In the 1960s for sure. Possibly in the 1950s already?

On my "curious yellow" Pan/Knuck chopper Hypnos built by me in 1971 a jockey shift was the only "righteous" way to go. (Remember that word?) Used a dinky 125cc H-D gas tank, a hand bent lever bolted to the lid, and a round walnut knob for a handle. The walnut knob came off a ball starter for a muzzle loading rifle. Yes, I ran the obligatory dog collar chain too. Everything out of the Big Bike & Choppers Illustrated playbook. At first a jockey shift on that stripped "hawg" did seem cool. When you reached down and held it while winding out 3rd, you could feel the vibes coming up out of the tranny. Esp after leaving some whacked out party. Yeah, and it looked really cool to the "citizens" too. Thought so...

But the dog chain wore against the primary cover. The 125 tank kept running out of gas in the middle of nowhere. The fenderless spring fork tire laid a bead of water and road grit on my forehead and cool aviator shades every time it rained. After putting up with with being cool for 3 summers, I went back to stock in 1974. I haven't been cool since.
            Herbert Wagner
            AMCA 4634
            =======
            The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Golly Herbert,

Aviator 'shades' may not be 'cool' anymore, but they are still 'timeless', and quite practical.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                Golly Herbert,

Aviator 'shades' may not be 'cool' anymore, but they are still 'timeless', and quite practical.

....Cotten
                Unless they are a vintage pair that have been restored. :-)
                Be sure to visit;
                http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post

When did guys start putting smaller, non fatbob tanks on footclutch Harleys? In the 1960s for sure. Possibly in the 1950s already?
                  I would think Fifties at the latest, given Lanza's Quicksilver. That bike was built in '57, no?

Comment

Hill climbers had them in the teens.

Comment

Meant to say, hill climbers had jockey shifters in the teens.

Comment

Originally posted by RCamp View Post
                        Meant to say, hill climbers had jockey shifters in the teens.
                        Like this?

.....Cotten
                        Attached Files
                        AMCA #776

Comment

I believe hill climbers had an in/out box. Hill climbers have a very large rear sprocket so they were geared for hill climbing. Also, the rider had his hand full trying to stay on the bike. There was no time to shift gears.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                              Like this?

.....Cotten
                              The handle under the seat is a clutch handle, which was stock on Js of the that era. The shifter is still intact on the tank.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                              X