No announcement yet.

vintage tire info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Lucas 480 tail-light would have been the stock fitment in 1951. You appear to have a later license plate/stop/tail light holder, maybe a Lucas 564 light.

A Lucas 477/1 would have been contemporary with the 480 but had a stop light feature included.

My solution had been to leave the original non- stop light in place and mount a modern stop/tail light elsewhere. There are reproduction early lights like the Lucas MT110 available with a built in two filament bulb to give a stop lamp but they have such a small lens area as to be virtually useless in to-day's traffic. (Modern 6v LED stop/tail lights are made by the Vincent spares company in England to the late 40's Miller "STOP" design and pattern)

AFJ

Comment

what vintage is the Lucas 564 tailight that I have on there? It looks ok and it works, so I feel safer anyway! Thanks for the insights!

What are your thoughts on the rear tire? The book calls for a 3.50 x 20 (very expensive) but I can get a 3.25 x 20 easier and a little bit cheaper.

Thanks for your advice; I seem to have a number of guys in Canada who have helped me with this project and seem very into/familiar with Nortons! I have not found too many people locally in New England that are familiar with Inter's, although there are a few and I'm sure they're out there. I've just started to get interested in British iron so I'll keep meeting h\guys I'm sure.

Best,
      Joel

Comment

The Lucas 564 came in on most British makes in 1955. My 1957 Lucas catalog recommends it as a replacement fitting back to the 1953 models. They did not suggest it replace earlier tail-lights because the 1952 and earlier did not have a stop-light circuit or switch.

I suspect that the dealer may have simply updated the Norton at the time with the approved Lucas update, but added a switch controlled by the rear brake, probably Lucas 22B part # 31383 or maybe the earlier switch Lucas 54C part # 31281 plus the approriate spring.

The stock headlight would have been a Lucas SSU700P with a pilot light within the reflector for the main headlight. If that has been changed for a non-Lucas (American sealed beam?) headlight there would have had to have been provisin made for a pilot light. Lucas headlight SSU700P/1 has an underslung separate and were fitted to AJS in 1951-53 and Matchless and BSA models in 1952.

As to tyre size on the rear I do not think even an expert could tell the difference in handling. The larger width would give a slightly taller gearing of a few %.

I think good, new rubber of a reputable brand is the best way to go. With new, high quality tubes and rim tapes as well.

Your life will be riding on those tires.

AFJ

PS. another Lucas catalog, this one for an unspecified "Export" market indicates that the Norton ohc singles were equipped with a headlight of the SSU700P/1 or SS700P/1 type with the underslung (separate) pilot light. Presumably this was in markets where the local law required a separate parking or side lamp from the headlight. Quite likely your underslung pilot light headlamp is the original as fitted by the factory.

The North American distributor for Norton from the 1930's to the 1950's was J.M. McGill in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Which is probably why there are a lot of Canadians interested in Nortons.

AFJ

Comment

wow...great stuff. Between you and Charlie Lipton in Japan I have all the Norton stuff covered! Thanks...

Yes, I believe the headlight is stock, but the lens is not and it has a sealed beam in it I think...not a lucas. I'm not sure there is a source anywhere to find the correct lens?

I am going to try and find a 3.25 x 20 Avon stateside for now, and if I can't and need to go to england than I will get the 3.50. Either way, I will have new rubber before I ride this spring. I found an Avon front for only $60.00, which I thought was reasonable, but the 3.50 from england is 104 pounds including shipping, which is pretty steep for a tire, no?

If anyone can find me an Avon rear on this side of the pond let me know...3.25 or 3.50 and we can talk...just need the 20" rim.

Thanks again

Joel
          Attached Files

Comment

The lens and reflector on the Lucas system are a pre-focused single item called a "light unit" and take a # 312 (6v) bulb. You can also get a 6v halogen # 312H bulb which is 35/35 watt.

The listed light unit for a SSU700P Lucas headlight is Lucas part # 516798 by my 1957 Lucas catalog.

Walridge Motors Ltd., 33988 Denfield Rd. R.R. #2, Lucan, Ontario N0M 2J0, Canada. Tel 519-227-4923, Fax 519-227-4720 on the Web at www.walridge.com Email walridge@gtn.net specialize in parts for British motorcycles. Their 2004 catalogue lists a pattern light unit #516798 at $45.80 (Can$) and a genuine Lucas light unit, #516798G at $ 59.95 Can$. The # 312 bulb is $ 5.90 and the halogen version is $ 25.50 You might also need some "W" clips(part # 504665 $1.30 each) to hold the light unit into the rim and a Lucas bulb holder (part # 97-958 ($12.05 Can)

The owner there is Mike Partridge and he has been in the business for 17 years and I know ships a lot of British stuff to US customers.

Hope this is of some help.

Nice picture.

On your Indian tires, I think ther are lots of choices including "Indian Script" tires from Coker in both 5.00x16 and 4.50x18, 4.50 x 18 diamond tread (Goodyear pattern) from Coker, super Eagle replicas (5.00 x 16) or Firestone replicas in 5.00x16, 4.00 x 18 and 4.50x18

AFJ

Comment

Thanks for the info on the light. I've ordered from walridge before for my Triumph and they are very good and friendly too. Once I get the Inter out of the snowy shed I will check out the lamp and go from there-I'm pretty sure there is a sealed beam in there now. You now have me more curious about the rear light too, and I want to check that out more carefully too, just to educate myself. Thanks for the help...
              joel

Comment

Working...
              X