vintage tire info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage tire info

I am desperately looking for a source for tires for my 1951 Norton International. The wheels (the rear really) is an odd size and I can't find a vintage tire (would like Avon) for it
    Front- 3.00 x 21, Rear 3.50 x 20.

Also- I'm thinking of new tires on my 48 Chief as I have abit of cracking...any thoughts?

Thanks as always for the help

Joel

Hi Joel:
    3:25 X 20 rear tires should be available from Ron Farthing in England who can be reached at ronfarthing.motorcycles@btopenworld.com He may also have 3:50s available. The 3:00X21 is relatively easy, and you should find one closer to home. Avon is the usual label for both sizes.
    Pete Gagan

Comment

The 21" should be easy to find. The 20" is a little tougher. Did you try Coker?
      http://www.coker.com/store/customer/...cat=268&page=3

Comment

Thanks for the info! I tried Coker and no luck on the rear..the front is doable in an Avon ...I will try the England connection..was hoping to find something on this side of the pond ..

Thanks...
        Joel

Comment

but I did find 3.25 x 20 here in the states, but will that work when the wheel calls for 3.50?

Comment

The 3.25X20 will fit fine.
            Pete

Comment

but will the bike handle much differently with the 3.25?

Comment

I did a little more checking. Coker does have a 3.50x20 tire listed as a Simplex replacement, probably has the Simplex name molded into it's sidewall. It's kinda pricey though.
                http://www.coker.com/store/customer/...07&cat=&page=1

Comment

Hi Joel:
                  You will notice no difference. The earlier Inters, as well as Garden Gate Manxes used 325's with no problems. I wouldn't fit a Coker to a bike that handles like a Norton, or you could end up landing on your ear. They are not a performance tire.
                  Pete

Comment

I found a place in England (Lambrook) that lists an Avon 350 x 20 on it's website, along with lots of other vintage type avon

http://www.classictyres.com/aboutus.htm

I e-mailed about the price...I'd like to maintain the correctness of the bike as it is very original and unmolested, and I won't be racing it or driving it too hard (although it does like to go...I only just got it running at the end of the fall and with the old tires did not go far or fast.)

Given your choice, what would you choose if you wanted to keep it right and wern't intending to race it?
                    Thanks
                    Joel
                    Attached Files

Comment

Go for the 3:50, seeing as you found one. Thats a pretty nice bike.
                      Pete

Comment

Standard cataloged tire size and make of the 1950-52 Norton Internationals was 3.00 x 21 front ribbed Dunlop and 3.25 x 20 block tread Dunlops. Neither are now made by Dunlop.

Later in the 1950's Norton went exclusively to Avon tyres.

AFJ

Comment

thanks for the info-I've located Avons in England for now (but pricey) The rear tire in 1951 for the International was in fact 3.50 x 20 as garnered from my manual and parts book and other sources. The Manx ran the 3.25 I believe, although I am far from an authority

Thanks again

Comment

The British Norton catalog and trade listing shows rear as 3.25 x 20 so if yours is a export model and the handbook is an export one it could well have been different originally. As evidenced by the silver instead of black mudguards and the different headlight (external pilot lens?) on your bike.

Cataloged rear tire on the 30M was 3.50 x 19 arond that time as the Manx was by that time a quite different bike.

Comment

thanks for the info...I am learning more and more about the bike every day. The mudguards are original equipment, but somebody in the early 60's painted them silver and them hand pinstriped them (and not well)- they arrived here in the states with black fenders/ I have debated painting them black when I have the wheels off for the new rubber, but I like the vintage patina of the tanks both original) and am afriad that the nice new black paint will not blend well with the original tanks, so I might just leave the silver mudders as a "period" modification! I wasn't aware that the headlight (other than the non-lucas lens) was not correct; I do know that the tailight assembly, while vintage is not correct for this model. I beleive that it was changed to accomodate the brake light (also not standard in 1951) which allows it to be registered and inspected here. I bought the bike from an estate and the prior owner purchased it in 1963 (I have the sales invoice) from a local dealer who took it in trade from the original owner. I hope to keep learning more about this rare bike, and as I got it running in the fall I hope to have the tires replaced and registered this Spring. Thanks for your help...all advice is always welcome! I did find the correct tires in England, though the cost is quite high so I might just try the 3.25 instead of the 3.5...we'll see.

Best
                              Joel

Comment

Working...
                              X