Rhinebeck 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by exeric View Post
    Really; this is all moot. If you love the hobby, then that is the reward. If you're looking for an investment, then buy real estate. I've thrown away thousands of dollars on motorcycles but I don't see that as a bad investment. I have made lifelong friends, learned arcane, useless historical facts, had a ball riding dirty, smelly, loud, dangerous vehicles, and traveled all over the U.S. looking for junk, like a prospector looks for gold. The funny part is; the older I get, the more sense this makes.
    On all of this I completely agree.

Many years ago I took a day off work, drove across the state, and bought a motorcycle. At the time I worked 6-1/2 days a week, always telling my wife it was essential for establishing my career, so naturally she was annoyed by this. A year or two later an ad for the same model motorcycle appeared in the paper for more than I had paid for mine. I made the mistake of showing the ad to my wife and telling her what that bike was now worth, to demonstrate what a good decision it had been to take the day off. Without missing a beat she responded with "that bike is worthless, because you'll never sell it." Yes, I still own that "investment." I last rode it a month ago accompanying one of my daughters who was riding another of my "investments."

Comment

Art, antiques and furniture are dead sales wise! last January i did the miami beach antique show for the 15th year. It was the worst ever. 1000 + dealers all about $50,000-60,000 off their mark. That is half a billion dollars that did not roll through miami in jan. No funny talkers walking the floor this year. the euro was down to the dollar and russians were scared to spend money. In years past i would help people ship out of the miami port. not this year.
      rob ronky #10507
      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I agree also. I kinda started this couple of hours of conversing mainly commenting on 46EL post and put that in a $ perspective. I look at things that way because I have a fit, form, function mentality. Whether it is the pool table in my front room, my bikes, or the machines I make my living from; everything works, (or as the bikes go-hopefully will work one day). My mentality is not non-functional, such as an expensive bike or art to just look at. That's just me, it's great if you(meaning anyone) want and can do that, just not for me.

Really; this is all moot. If you love the hobby, then that is the reward. If you're looking for an investment, then buy real estate. I've thrown away thousands of dollars on motorcycles but I don't see that as a bad investment. I have made lifelong friends, learned arcane, useless historical facts, had a ball riding dirty, smelly, loud, dangerous vehicles, and traveled all over the U.S. looking for junk, like a prospector looks for gold. The funny part is; the older I get, the more sense this makes.
        Last edited by BigLakeBob; 06-16-2015, 06:06 PM. Reason: comments around 'you'
        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

I previously revised my "art" comment so let's not go there, and I did not connect "collectible" to selling price. . . Quite the opposite; value is intangible. You cannot quantify art so this whole discussion is rather absurd. In my space, and time on this planet; antique motorcycles are of enormous value so the exercise of applying value is abstract.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

...value is intangible...
            But when you find it in a dumpster...
            Its always priceless.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

i will say the stuff did not loss value. I't just did not sell. one thing i found hard to believe at Rhinebeck was 2 officers standing near somebody smoking rope.who ever it was is lucky the did not loss everything to the state of ny. On the plus side i'm not ready to sell bikes so let them drop. Then i wont feel so bad riding in the rain. here is some of what did not sell in miami.

rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                But when you find it in a dumpster...
                Its always priceless.

....Cotten
                That is funny Tom; I was riding my bicycle today and I saw a shiny thing on the road, and I went back to pick it up.
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

You could put all that junk in Cotton's dumpster and I would not loose any sleep. Edited post #33, wasn't directed to the person in the quote, just generally speaking.

Originally posted by rwm View Post
                  i will say the stuff did not loss value. I't just did not sell. one thing i found hard to believe at Rhinebeck was 2 officers standing near somebody smoking rope.who ever it was is lucky the did not loss everything to the state of ny. On the plus side i'm not ready to sell bikes so let them drop. Then i wont feel so bad riding in the rain. here is some of what did not sell in miami.

Bob Rice #6738

Comment

You cannot quantify art so this whole discussion is rather absurd.
                    Actually, quantifying art is a research field. For example, prof. of economics at U. Chicago David Galenson has written a number of articles and a book on the topic, and several international conferences have been held.

In my space, and time on this planet; antique motorcycles are of enormous value so the exercise of applying value is abstract.
                    While, individually, applying "value" to motorcycles might be abstract to most members of the AMCA, "value" as represented by price is very relevant for the AMCA as a whole. Individually, a person can value a motorcycle they own very highly for the many joys it represents. They may never plan to sell it so the "value" in terms of dollars may be irrelevant to them (but not to their heirs). Whether it could be sold for $5k or $50k makes no difference to someone who isn't going to sell it. However, when it eventually does sell it the price makes a large difference to the future of a club like the AMCA. Many people can afford $5k, as well as the AMCA dues of $40, but far fewer can afford $50k. While people who don't own motorcycles can join the AMCA the reality is most won't. Which is why discussing "value" in the form of dollars is far from absurd or abstract when considering the AMCA as a whole, and its future, rather than the members individually.

Comment

Originally posted by BoschZEV View Post
                      Actually, quantifying art is a research field. For example, prof. of economics at U. Chicago David Galenson has written a number of articles and a book on the topic, and several international conferences have been held.
                      He wouldn't be the first college prof to steal money from a University
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

He wouldn't be the first college prof to steal money from a University
                        What's that supposed to mean??

Comment

Originally posted by BoschZEV View Post
                          What's that supposed to mean??
                          I am seeing a new interest in Indians coming from the folks buying the new Spirit Lake Indians. As a new Indian dealer and a long time collector myself I have had two customers who did not know anything about the old Indians go out and buy two old Chiefs. I have several others who are out there looking. Having the two big brands, HD and Indian, competing again has renewed an interest with some people in the history and the legacy of our motorcycles. Time will tell.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I am very new to classic motorcycles, this year was only my second year attending Rhinebeck and I have to say even though there did seem to be less vendors than last year I still had a great time. After attending last year it made me want to learn all I could about classic motorcycles and finally this past February I joined AMCA. I just wanted to take a second and say thank you to all that put the work into Rhinebeck and I hope to attend next year as well. It's always nice to talk to great people and learn about the motorcycles and history as well. So again thank you.
                            Nothing like the feeling of towing home a new bike.

Comment

I am also new to classic motorcycles.Went to rhinebeck first time,went with 31 yr.old co worker. we had a great time. talked to very nice bike people.learned more about my 65 h/d pan head with side car.will go back next year. my co worker is looking for a bike.he joined v.j m.club.

Comment

I really don't care to talk about the economy or world problems, the AMCA is a form of escape to all the BS that is going on. I attended the meet and met up with friends, made a few new ones and overall had a great time. Maybe our numbers are on the downside , so what, we are still having a good time. Life has it s ups and downs, some days our bikes are worth more, some days less, do we really care. When I roll one of my bikes out and take a ride I'm happy and that s PRICELESS. As we all know , our hobby got invaded by the used car guys and time have changes with EBAY but I for one am not going to let any of that change what makes me happy. Hope to see you all continue attending the meets and making deals and swapping parts.

SteveO

Comment

Working...
                                X