Newbie with 4cyl Nimbus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with 4cyl Nimbus...

Not sure where to place this. Would value all input on crankcase oil best for a Nimbus: 4 cyl; 750cc; crank & trans share oil, 1,000 miles on rebuilt engine; no oil filter; babbited bearings. Originally probably 30 or 40W summer non-detergent but is there a better oil today? Synthetic or blend? Bike will be delivered June 2015 from Denmark. Thanks.

Doesn't matter that much what you run... just change it a lot.

Detergent doesn't matter...

Is it flat tappet engine? If so, you will want an oil with a ZDDP additive. Depending on where you live... in hot weather, run 10 - w40. In cool weather, 10 W30. But, again, less important than frequent oil changes.

Synthetic is fine, but if it has a tendency to leak... synthetic will make it REALLY leak. And if you park it for long periods, synthetic will run off components more easily than traditional oil. It's fine stuff... but not much better than changing your oil often.

We run Rotella T in just about everything. Not because it's that much better. But I buy it by the barrel.

Cool bike, BTW! I love the Nimbus. Welcome aboard, this is a great group. Post some pictures!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Ditto what Sirhr said - with modern oils you're pretty much good with anything the right wt or range. Frequent changes are cheap insurance. And he's also spot on about the synthetics. Personally I run straight 40 wt in my 1940 Indian 4 unless I'm going on a long run - more than 2 gas stops - in consistent temperatures over 80F. Then I go to straight 50wt. I don't do cold any more... but when I did ride below 50F for extended periods I would go to 30.

If you're not doing anything August 7-9 you and your Nimbus would be welcome at the 54th Annual Meet of the Indian Four Cylinder Club!

Comment

Originally posted by RussBees View Post
        Not sure where to place this. Would value all input on crankcase oil best for a Nimbus: 4 cyl; 750cc; crank & trans share oil, 1,000 miles on rebuilt engine; no oil filter; babbited bearings. Originally probably 30 or 40W summer non-detergent but is there a better oil today? Synthetic or blend? Bike will be delivered June 2015 from Denmark. Thanks.
        Camped next to me at the CVMG Rally at Paris is AMCA member Ed Olesen with his 48 Nimbus and 38 Steib sidecar. After a rebore Ed used Quaker State 10-40 changing every 1500 km. He has 47,000 km on the bike at the moment. No increase in oil consumption. The engine sounds very good.
        AFJ

Comment

I have just put in straight 30 W in mine, and since Nimbus have Babbitt bearings I add some ZDDP to the oil

Comment

Should be good unless you're in some really hot weather. Be careful with the additives... some can cause the clutch to slip.

Comment

I run 50 in summer and 40 in winter in my four that I had Cen-Pe-Co blend for me with the proper amount of ZDDP. Non-detergent. See if you have a rep near you. They can blend you anything. I bought 25 gallons each and change every 6-800 miles. Cheaper than a motor. Think it was about 3.50 a quart.
              Last edited by D.A.Bagin; 07-02-2015, 05:01 AM.
              D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Hi John:

You mention use of ZDDP in your Nimbus. How much do you add to the crankcase? Any problems with a slipping clutch?

Russ$R51PL6E.jpg$RF2ZABE.jpg

Comment

Prior to having oil blended for me I was going to my local hot rod shop and getting 40wt non-detergent oil and blending in Cam-2 engine break-in additive. I was adding it to the qt. and mixing it up before adding it to the motor. This product has high amounts, in fact, too high, of zddp. I called Cam-2 and explained what I was doing and they gave me directions as to how much to add to a qt. of oil to get the desired results. They were intrigued and very helpful.
                  D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by RussBees View Post
                    Hi John:

You mention use of ZDDP in your Nimbus. How much do you add to the crankcase? Any problems with a slipping clutch?

Russ[ATTACH=CONFIG]15483[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15484[/ATTACH]
                    I'm sure some one else will comment on this but i put about 2 oz. in and I have no problems. Remember they took zinc out of motor oil because it plugs catalytic converters. Before that it was in most motor oils.

Comment

Working...
                    X