possible bike raffle??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks again

Thank-you Dave and Georgia Marler of San Diego, Ca. It only took three days in the mail. I will send you out the tickets and receipt tomorrows mail. Thanks again for your support. And good luck to all who have purchased tickets still have a couple weeks left. "jb"

Comment

Raffle tickets

Hey JB, recieved the tickets in yesterdays post.
      I was puzzled by the reciept though, $10 for JB's beer bash???? Just kidding.

Thanks for your work. I hate to see the topic fizzle but it has been quiet lately. A bike raffle would be great, I have recently seen a few examples of machines that are just now entering the "classic" age that would be interesting prizes, and maybe easier restorations. Good luck with however it goes.

BTW, I plan to attend the Saturdays events at Borrego the So-Cal chapter is hosting. Always like to make new friends.
      Just look for a fat guy in a leather jacket.......Hahahaha

Thanks again,
      Dave

Comment

JB- I was just offered a 1974 HD Police bike, barrel swap to 80". Hard bags incl. and orig. solo seat. Fairly complete. Orig low gear trans. = 60mph. top. That could be swapped out. Pretty sure.

I could pick it up for ahhh... a very low sum of pesos. It's rotting on a driveway. Solo seat inside (thankfully) Well, at least it's covered. I did manage to start it (with elect. starter). IT RUNS! Doesn't blow. And... the oil just a FLOoooWS out of the primary.

Not a good bike for me. But maybe a good auction bike/project bike for someone fond of the AMF years???

HEY! Please don't laugh. I'm just trying to help here.

Comment

thanks Paul

That sounds cool, what is barrel swap? also what is the price? Peso's or dollars? I don't know the current exchange rate....lol. This could be a great raffle if it was featured in a bike build covered by our mag and each chapter given the chance to sell tickets. But then I'm a optimust.

Comment

74" barrels off. Replaced w/ 80" barrels and new larger pistons for an increase in displacement. It has good compression. No oil blow-by. Idols smooth/well. Exhaust flanges bent. A big pet peeve of mine. Ohh well. Someone may love it. Maybe turn it into a CHiPS bike? The Poncherello special!

May take 2K USD. It's open and negotiable. We started at 10K. So figure I'm doing allright here.

Q is: would anyone want to adopt it? or buy a ticket?

Comment

Sounds to me like an excellent ticket seller. Great find for a good idea in my opinion. A scooter like this is fitting for the majority of the early and late scooter buffs, I think. This bike doesn't take the later model bike lovers back to far and it also doesn't take the earlier bike lovers ahead to far. Paps

Comment

Fantastic find

All I can say is WOW! Great find Paul.

For a few bucks for tickets and what, shipping charges? I could win an early seventies original Harley Police bike!

This is a fantastic prize and the price makes it an easier raffle buy, I would think.
                Based on the raffle response so far, what's the likelihood of aquiring and moving forward with this?

This is Fatdog's favorite brand. Others too I'll bet.
                Show of hands of anyone that wants to restore a classic Harley???
                Definately count me in!

Comment

Ok.

Obviously I would be for it. But just to let everyone know the cash raffle to date has only raised 138.00 with a couple of pledges still to come in. I would be very interested as you are to see a show of hands before a purchase was made.

Comment

It's obvious I have both of my hands in the air already. jb....I realize the cash raffle hasn't really took off yet but maybe folks sit back to long waiting for a cash pot to grow with other peoples monies before they say to themselves that it is big enough or lucritive enough for them to want to take a chance on. If they already know what the prize is [for example this scooter] they may jump to it quicker. What do you all think? Who would enjoy putting this bike back to it's original state or maybe just personalizing it?? Paps

Comment

NO!!! I'm not full of it! It's real. I get offered this sort of stuff all the time. I'm a dork. I look like a dork, and therefore people approach me to talk about what ever I'm rideing at the time. I'm a real friendly/talkative guy also. Then they find out I'm the restoration mechanic and offer me what ever they have rotting away. But I'm not a harley guy and have little interest - so I usually pass. I secretly lust for knuckles and JDs. But the club is in need here. Thought JB could use a hand. And this bike will soon be an antique by our standards. Figured it fit the bill.

I would like to see some vendors come forward with a Tran. and some other mechanical parts. But hopefully as you can see, this bike is fairly complete. Picture w/ solo seat (not shown) Won't need much. Let winner clean it up cosmetically I guess? . And heck- It runs! BEAT THAT COWBOY!

I realize it's "JUST" another Harley. Hee-hee-hee... (Ya, I get smacked alot for saying that) But some folks in the club may be interested in it enough to buy a ticket for the "Poncherello Special".

So there you go JB. I'm extending a hand to you. Because "THAT'S" what we do in this club.

If this falls flat - I'll walk away from the deal and never mention it again. Let someone else discover it. Maybe a young guy that thinks it's just about the oldest bike that he has ever seen. I'll stick a business card in the tool box. Maybe he'll join the club?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Now that is a nice prize!! That scooter, and as you said, a few parts from vendors here and there and the prize is a real attraction maker plus ticket seller. These types of projects are exactly what I had in mind to get a National Raffle going. Each year a different prize. One day maybe a fully restored scooter! A project bike like the one you came across is a perfect beginning to an annual event. Now what do you guys think?? Is something like this worth a ticket to ya??

If your a Dork Adminguy than I be proud to know ya! Paps

Comment

Sorry PAPS, you started this thread. So here ya go. Took me a little bit of trolling, but I found you one. You now potentially have a raffle bike for Davenport. Something fun, that for a cheap ticket, most members would support - I think.

Should I go drag this 2K lump of Shovel home?

Pretty sure he has orig. police lights also. Lights must have hoods when ridden on road. Hummm... it really needs a siren. I think they were electronic in 74? Could also dig up a CB radio for it. Know a local guy who has a restored one in the movie biz. I'll get some pictures. Oh well.... lets see if anyone is interested in winning such a thing.

Speak up guys! Deal today- gone tommorrow.

Comment

I might have started it but You and jb put the wheels in motion. I'm out and about fishin for folks on it as I write. We will know soon enough if this will fly or not. I can't imagine anyone passing up a chance, or for that matter, several chances to take that baby home with them. What ever you do......DON"T LET IT GET AWAY!!!!! If this doesn't go over the way it most certainly should, you may have to get stuck with it. Now would'nt that just be a darn shame?? LOL!! Paps

Comment

1974HARLEY

It sounds like a very nice project bike..at that price I would buy from you if you purchase and enough tickets are not sold.TC Oldpan*

Comment

This raffle will fly if we can drum up a bit of advertising on it. A good size introduction to it in the organizations magazine with more hype, pics, and info on the inner pages would help considerably in promoting the raffle. It needs to be seen to sell the idea. I feel other magazines will print the article for free just for the story alone. We just need the proper individuals to do the contacting of these other publications. I hope I am not wrong about this but I really don't think I am. I'll print up high quality color flyers and post them at all the shops, watering holes, swap meets, and dealers in a hundred mile radius of me to assist the raffle promotion. Flyer design of course, will be AMCA approved first. A few more dozen folks who will do the same would help considerably also. I/we, just and must, have official organizational permission to do so. Get this granted and away we go.......... Paps

Comment

Working...
                                X