possible bike raffle??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible bike raffle??

I have been pondering this but I do not know if it is even feesable or not due to titleing etc.. As an organization couldn't the AMCA sponser a raffle at one of the state side meets legally? I am thinking on terms of selling raffle tickets to a particular meet on a particular bike. Maybe vendors would put in the revenue to purchase the raffled bike? Maybe the tickets would need to be $20, maybe $100, don't know yet, but as long as the raffle produced needed operation funds for the organization and no loss would be taken, would it not drum up attendance and membership? Has this ever been considered??
    Just a thought...what's yours?? Paps

Yes

Regardless if we make one red cent or not we should have a raffle every year maybe two! One for builders and one for everyone, Buy builders I mean a frame or motor or maybe a rolling basket? And for everyone would be a complete anything 35 years or older doesn't have to be rare one of a kind to draw interest. Man I know I'd buy a ticket to a rolling knuckle project or a complete anything. But make the tickets affordable enough for everybody.

Comment

Couple yrs back ORG chapt. raff a T100C. Dave Grassis won and flipped it on the spot. I was a runner by golly. No Knuck- but a runner.

It's a great idea that could start a restoration for new/old mem. I like it. A chapt could organize this - money could be recycled year after year.

Comment

Maybe vendor donated parts could be a good crowd magnet towards a basket case, rolling chassi, or runner?? How about a 100 pointer???? Why not a Knuck for the first big raffle?? Split between member dues and vendor donations the cost per person should remain minimal. A knuck at one meet, a UL or ULH at another, a WLA/WL at still another. We will never run out of brand names or models to promote !! Mix em up over the meets and seasons. A lot of free advertizing in high subscription and heavy volume over the counter sales magazines would be drummed up for the club with such events. Such a promo may land plenty of radio and television plugs also !! I see only good coming from this. Great for the AMCA with member increases and great sales potential for vendors, NOS, Used, and Reproduction parts alike, not to mention service business related sales increases in machining, mechanics, and complete restoration. "LET"S DO IT !! Paps

Comment

Hi Paps:
          You have touched upon something I tried to promote with the Board a few years ago, but it didn't go anywhere then. You've renewed my interest, so I'll have another attempt. We meet at Eustis.
          Pete Gagan

Comment

Raffle

I didn't know we were in any financial straits,but how bout adding some memrobelia to the mix?

Comment

PETE,
              PLEASE make it anything but a sportster!

Comment

What? No sportster?

I thought since evrybody else in the world has one to raffle off I thought that meant that's what everybody wants.....NOT !!! But if you were gonna raffle off a sporty make it a flat head k sporty, I have a vivid imagination and I think their are others that have two. I could see my self buying a ticket to a tricked out old style influence bike that had been featured in a couple of issues of the Antique Motorcycle....What's your thought?

Comment

JB,
                  Im sure there are plenty of people like you that would gladly buy a ticket for one...but Ive been there and done that no thanks,noway!

Comment

ok

not to make this a heated exchange but I'm not really into the other brands so i am sure their might be some raffle i wouldn't be interested in but as long as some fat cat wasn't usuing it to line his pockets and that the money was used in a manner which helps our club and it's members, I'd probally buy one anyway. regardless of what it was. as far as memorbilia is concerned I'd but a dollar ticket to a rare autograghed picture of one of our Hall of famers in a second....Hey Woody here's your chance to clean out the attic..

Comment

We had a local bike shop owner wanting the Dixie chapter along with other area groups to each bulid a bike, put it in one of his shows, then sell or auction the bikes off. The problem is where to build it, who to build it, who's money and parts to use, and organizing the whole thing. We couldn't get any interest from our chapter and some members have thier own shops. Good luck on this one!

Louie

Comment

We have 882 registered members alone on this forum. A $5 increase in yearly membership fees alone multiplied by this forums membership translates into a woppin $4410. What is the number of the actual AMCA membership? Calculate the collection plate now !! I estimate more than enough revenue would be available to support a raffle at every large meet anually. This is just from membership dues. Donations and ticket sales will generate much more. Ticket sales for the raffle can be optional at the gate for walk in non members. If they don't buy one?? They can't win !! Senior members would receive their first ticket free. [ definition of senior member yet to be determined] No one likes to pay increases in dues but this raffle idea could launch the growth of this organization substanially. I think it is realilistic to imagine a minimum doubling of membership in the first year alone. Davenport would probably be the best meet to try it out on. If it works out?? Expand to other meets. Paps

Comment

I fail to see how running a bike lottery would generate one new member, let alone double membership in a year. There are always raffle tickets being sold on one or two old bikes every year at Davenport (the AMA museum comes to mind). Is the chance to buy a lottery ticket a big drawing card? I doubt it, I don't go for that. If the AMA wasn't raffling a bike would attendance plummet? I doubt it.

As for forcing everyone to "buy" a ticket by increasing the dues $5 a year. Do the math. There are 10,000 members, if we give a bike away a year, it will take (on average) 10,000 years before each member has "won" one (and no doubt I'll be one of the last to win). So I'll have spent $50,000 ($5*10,000), to win what? A Honda 750 basketcase. What if we give away, 10 bikes a year? Then it only takes a 1000 years (and $5,000) to win the Honda. No thanks, I'd rather spend my $5 (or $5,000 or $50,000) on a bike/part I want rather than "win" something I'm not interested in (or more likely, die with nothing).

I see the forced extortion of $5 from each member leading to a drop in half of the membership in the next year ... Perry

Comment

I have to agree with Perry on this one!
                            We(or should I say I) dont need to be forced to buy a ticket on anything I really may not want! I think doing anything like that would lead to may problems, ie. if certian people won then others may cry fix,there is a whole bunch of things that could go wrong! If a chapter wants to have a Bike Raffle then so be it let them raise the monies needed and stand on their own! If the National wants to have a raffle of a restored classic I see no harm there either,but again dont expect to raise dues to do it,Perry is right I for one would find it hard to renew my membership that being the case!(its bad enough I feel the club in lots of ways is going the wrong way already,and Im sure Ill get alot of flack for this statement! But as long as Im a member in good standing Ill speak my mind!
                            It seems the club as well as everything else in our lifes has to get BIGGER to be BETTER ! Im sorry I dont agree! Small isnt so bad after all!
                            Now all of the above being said I hope nobody takes this in a real negitive way, Wes hould all be able to speak our minds even if we disagree and if the chapters or the National desides to have a raffle I wish them the bes of LUCK!

Comment

Thanks fellas. I certainly agree we should all be able to speak our minds. I hadn't looked at this idea as of yet from you fellas point of view. You both make good points. When I am thinking on terms of membership increase I am thinking about those rubs and yuppies who really haven't a clue as to what they are missing not having an affilliation with the organization. There are 100s of thousands of rubs and yuppies. These prople are my targets. The increase in dues I brought up was only a suggestion for revenue to finance the attempt. I am sure there are other means to accomplish the financing without raising the dues. It was just a suggestion which wouldn't deter me from keeping my membership. I wish I would have joined years ago. Around my area the local Harley Davidson dealerships sponsor raffles for charities all the time and they draw in hundreds of folks who want a chance to win a new bike or a leather jacket. My thinking was on the way of....if these yuppies and rubs will show up for a chance to win these items, how many will show up to win a nice knuck or flatty?? Of course they won't show up if they don't know if this raffle is taking place. This is where the free advertizing comes into play. As far as suspecting rigging...........there are many ways to prevent that from happening, from bingo type draws to lottery ball drops. Would I actually win one of the prizes?? YEAH!!!!!! RIGHT!!!! Not with my luck ! LOL !! It is obvious that this idea of a raffle will not materialize anytime soon. There is a lot of work ahead to put the wheels into motion and many many things to iron out before such an attempt could be implemented. Hopefully many more members will comment on this topic so all concerns can be addressed and a determination can be made as to whether or not the idea is feesable or not. I have a bit of a problem thinking maybe a bit to big but I invision a Sturgis size poker run possibly materializing out of this. As far as an increase in membership goes.........My way of thinking is......once you lay the candy in front of the kid. HE WANTS IT !! First you get the people to the meet. Once there a whole new world opens up to them. [ the candy] . Translation....MEMBERSHIPS Paps

Comment

Working...
                              X