Bonneville Land Speed Record in August, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonneville Land Speed Record in August, 2014

Some of you know me, many for along time. I currently sit on the Board of Directors and to say the least have been busy trying to be a positive influence on the club. The club I love and have been a member for over 40 years. Well today as I move to retirement from my day job of 36 years on June 27th I will embark on my new career. VINTAGE MOTORCYCLES. I have been involved in THUNDER ROAD RACING since 2005 and we have one land speed record on my 38 Indian jr scout (now broken and 6 land speed records on my 48 Harley G motor servicar engine. For the record a single pass on the 45 was over a 120 MPH, not bad for a servicar, WW2 type motor.Anyway i am returning this August to break our own record. My old friend Ted Hector ( 641) will once again run the 48 HD. All rebuilt and with smaller valves which we think will break our own record. Ted is 65 years old and is tougher than anyone I know and I look forward to any well wishers or folks who want to pit crew. Obviously if someone wants to sponsor a 7 time AMA record holder we can talk. Sportsnet will be covering us this year and it maybe a hell of a story. Cheers from the North with the balls to go to the south on the salt. PS If you don't think this is for real...see u at Bonneville on August 23rd. The first beer is on me. Ross Metcalfe
    Ross

congratulations and luck to ya..
    gww57.com

Comment

Congrats with retirement and best of luck breaking the old record!
      William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
      http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

s-s-sssoo Ross, uhh, .... spose you could stop by and pick me up?
        I'm kinda crippled, but I CAN drink your beer for you, if you're afraid of it getting warm or something.

Comment

Phil you old sea dog. Not sure how we are travelling yet. If we take the motorhome I'll have room. If we take a truck with a Motorcycle trailer we will be tight. Our racing budget has always been tight, gas, registration, hotels and beer. I appreciate the positive comments from #2 and #3 and we'll stay in touch thru the forum.I am a little leery to have the Motorhome on the salt.I'm still finding salt on the little Indian from 2005. Maybe you and landshark can make a roadtrip. I hope I can still make Davenport but it looks doubtful this year, because the days are too close. I'll post pictures as we ready the 1948 HD. Guys if you want to see a film clip from a few years ago...go to you tube and search McFlathead and there are couple good clips of the HD in action. Sorry can't do the link thing, don't know how.
          Ross

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzfGkr8avY
            Here's one link. Best of luck to you!!
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Love the video. Very cool! Best of luck! Dale

Comment

That is a great Video!

Thanks

Comment

Thanks Bob for posting Gary's video. He did all that with a hand held recorder.That was Bonneville several years ago.Gary again will be head technical guy along with myself to pit for Ted.AMA number #641 for Bonneville
                  Ross

Comment

Glad to hear you're going to spend your retirement responsibly Ross! Bonneville rules!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Wow, I loved the video!

Comment

Thanks Cory. Looking forward to full time motorcycles.Bonneville this year is just a bonus to kick off retirement.
                        Ross

Comment

To clean the salt, take a look at Salt Away. Some time back the owner of the company provided product for one of the salt racers. Maybe you could send her a email asking for some as well as a couple of decals and shirt to promote the product while your there.

www.saltaway.com

Have to be careful with it on the salt bed cause if it does get on the salt bed it will create a crater. It's diluted 20 parts water to 1 part Salt Away and sprayed on until the solution drips from what ever is being sprayed.

Was advised by the salt competitor the product did what it was supposed to do which is remove the salt from surfaces that were contaminated.
                          Last edited by ricmoran; 04-13-2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks Ric, I will follow up on that product.
                            Ross

Comment

Any plans on running the Junior Scout on the salt again?
                              Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                              X