Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baby bosch racing magneto for harley or Indian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby bosch racing magneto for harley or Indian?

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if i am posting this in the correct place but I just picked up this baby bosch magneto and was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is either for a Harley or Indian or could it possibly not be a racing magneto?

Thanks,

James

IMAG3502.jpgIMAG3503.jpgIMAG3504.jpgIMAG3505.jpgIMAG3506.jpg

A google search:
    http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...gneto-question
    Literature; search for FFV
    http://www.go-faster.com/BoschMagnetoVeteran.html
    Bill Gilbert in Oregon

Comment

42 degree is Indian, 45 degree is H-D
      DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by 26harleyj View Post
        if anyone can tell me if it is either for a Harley or Indian
        Many, but not all, Bosch magnetos have the firing angle they left the factory with stamped on them. But, I can't see it in any of your pictures and, in any case, that was ~100 years ago so the cam easily could have been changed since then. Unfortunately, it isn't possible to distinguish a 42-deg. cam from a 45-deg by naked eye.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I did look all over the mag and could not find the firing angle stamped into the body of the magneto. If i put a degree wheel on the nose of the drive shaft of the magneto, can i determine if it is a 42-deg or a 45-deg?

23JDCA 808---Those links were quite helpful thanks but still seems undetermined if this is a racing magneto or not?

Thanks,

James

Comment

i see this style on beemers. the harley and indian ff magnetos have 2 magnets not one large magnet. they also lack the plastic retaining strap by the wires. this dose not mean it wont work for you. it's just a few years newer. the ff mags make a little hotter spark then the zevs. i have no clue if it is better to have 1 magnet or 2.
            rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

The FFV "baby Bosch" units were standard equipment on 1927-1929 Harley mag model big twins. All of mine have one magnet.
              Mark Masa
              Mark Masa
              www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Mark, thank you for the clarification for the correct application of this magneto.

Thanks,

James

Comment

Originally posted by 26harleyj View Post
                  If i put a degree wheel on the nose of the drive shaft of the magneto, can i determine if it is a 42-deg or a 45-deg?
                  If you go to the following link you will find my discussion (under the screen name Magnetoman) of measuring the cam to determine the angle between the lobes:

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbth...849#Post459849

When you click on the above it initially will go to the first page of the thread so just sit on you hands for 5 sec. or so until it jumps to the correct post.

Comment

Working...
                  X