Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid America Auctions Online Catalog posted... hubba hubba...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ross HD is broke as far as museum spending..if they already have an '11 another would be a waste of $$$$$$$$

Comment

1911 HD twin

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
      Ross HD is broke as far as museum spending..if they already have an '11 another would be a waste of $$$$$$$$
      The reason I asked is that I know the Motor Company does not have a first year production twin and thought they might seek out an example as their world is the V Twin. They do however have the only remaining proto type if you will of the ill fated 1909 atmospheric head twin.
      Ross

Comment

They also don't have a '44 knuck ,when I sold one they wanted to have it donated!!!!

Comment

Howdy RichO,

Gotta be a story behind using a 39, have a friend who finished a 39 recently, and rides in heavy urban setting like me, only keeping that trans because he is going through judging. Speaking of stories, some have alluded to one behind this machine possibly driving its high price, would like to hear it at some point, it must be a heck of tale for $100k extra.
          Cheerio,
          Peter
          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Hello...The rumor I heard was in 1940 when bikes were sent overseas, they were shipped with the '39 tranny. That way H-D used up a bad design and the dealers in foreign countries were just happy to sell the machines they could. Also on the auction ... I heard on the "Hush-hush", some guy with 35 junk Knuckles bought this bike so he can get 50-60 thousand each for his basket cases. Enjoy .

Comment

The new owner is the third owner, liked the rare optional green color, has documentation (from the first owners family) that it came from the factory with the 1939 transmission installed, and does not have 35 junk baskets. Instead he has more than a few original paint and restored pans and knuckles.
              DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
                The new owner is the third owner, liked the rare optional green color, has documentation (from the first owners family) that it came from the factory with the 1939 transmission installed, and does not have 35 junk baskets. Instead he has more than a few original paint and restored pans and knuckles.
                Richard, You are exactly right. I also know the new owner and you are 100% correct. It kind of makes me mad and amuses me at the same time how all of this gossip gets started without any of the facts being known. Dave

Comment

Here's a bit of a recap.... http://thevintagent.blogspot.ca/2014...014-recap.html
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

has documentation (from the first owners family) that it came from the factory with the 1939 transmission installed,
                    And what might that documentation be?

Comment

It, I believe, is the sales, order, or shipping documents. I'll ask him as I was not there but a friend was and relayed the information to me. They were passed from the original owner to the person who sold it at the auction.
                      DrSprocket

Comment

It, I believe, is the sales, order, or shipping documents. I'll ask him as I was not there but a friend was and relayed the information to me. They were passed from the original owner to the person who sold it at the auction.
                        I will believe it when I see it. So, it would specify on the sales order or shipping docs "1940 HD with 1939 Transmission"?!!!!

Comment

Glad my initial post has sparked such a great conversation... I have not looked at all the results, but looks like another record year.

Just for everyone's contemplation... the antique car market (and by extension the antique motorcycle market) is very much in the early stages of a bubble right now. Tangible assets are inflation-resistant and Bernie Madoff can't drive off on your JD... so money is moving there rapidly. Performance of tangible collectibles including art, guns, watches, jewelry, clocks, etc. is all far out-stripping 401K's and similar 'traditional' investments.

So no surprises on the recent results from Vegas or from Valley of the Sun where B-J and Gooding set a pile of new records. And IMHO, the ride is just starting. Which is unfortunate for the 'everyman' collector who just wants a nice old bike to ride. The good news is that what goes up, must come down. And there are also still bargains to be had in the 'non-investment grade' machines as the big $$ goes to a very small percentage of the available machines. Yes, rising tide floats all boats, but older restorations, riders, un-appreciated models or marques can go for really short $$ while the trendy go after trends. IMHO, Shovelheads are still the best buy in a vintage bike out there... and are totally under-appreciated.

Just some thoughts as we watch the 'markets' closely even if not playing in them. Remember, for every $200K knucklehead that has achieved icon status, there are 50 more that we can all afford... keep watching eBay and chatting with your fellow-club members. Because good bikes are out there at great prices.

Cheers and just my 2 percent of a dollar, as seen on TV, your mileage may vary, etc.

Sirhr

Comment

quote: " Shovelheads are still the best buy in a vintage bike out there... and are totally under-appreciated." end qu

that's cuz they're TROUBLEHEADS!!!
                            (sorry, couldn't help myself)

Comment

None of mine were anything but rock-solid. Even the ones named after bowling alleys! One of the most under-rated engines in the HD lineup and one that you can do almost anything to in terms of hot-rodding. Cut my teeth on shovels. They deserve more respect than they get ;-)

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
                                quote: " Shovelheads are still the best buy in a vintage bike out there... and are totally under-appreciated." end qu

that's cuz they're TROUBLEHEADS!!!
                                (sorry, couldn't help myself)

I disagree - the Shovelhead is a rock solid engine and like all engines that started in the lead era and lived into the unleaded times there
                                were a few teething problems but other than that they are great engines.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                                X