Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid America Auctions Online Catalog posted... hubba hubba...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the record.. if you go to Mid America's homepage and click on online bidding you can follow the bidding on each bike. A little awkward but it will be my Saturday entertainment here in the frozen North.
    Ross

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
      For the record.. if you go to Mid America's homepage and click on online bidding you can follow the bidding on each bike. A little awkward but it will be my Saturday entertainment here in the frozen North.
      Do you have to be registered to bid online in order to just watch the auction?

Comment

I'm not a Harley guy, so please educate me. What makes that 1940 Knuck (lot 247) worth $127,000 more than the 1946 Knuck (lot 313)?

Comment

Deep pockets and true love!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rbc View Post
            I'm not a Harley guy, so please educate me. What makes that 1940 Knuck (lot 247) worth $127,000 more than the 1946 Knuck (lot 313)?

Two idiots
            D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
              Two idiots
              I had the same question.No Harley expertise, but my friend has a very early 46 flh,unrestored junior first
              (he didn't have another judging for winner circle),and has gotten some very high offers,but nothing in this range.So we were both surprised at this auction result for a repainted 40 el.
              I understand celebrity ownership adding value,like the Steve Mcqueen 1935 chief,but was thinking there must be something else about this 40 el,other than 2 guys who want it really bad.
              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by jwl View Post
                Do you have to be registered to bid online in order to just watch the auction?
                I was on and did not register.Viewing is a very small portion of the page however but at least it's live.
                Ross

Comment

For at least the last 5 years anything very original with original paint has commanded a premium. Knuckleheads themselves have been spiking steadily over the last several years...BUT....even with that being understood...40 years in the club and I can't believe a 1940 knuck commanded that kinda cash.I would have been more understanding if it was a 1936 or a 1937. Wonder what an original 1936 would have gone for??
                  Ross

Comment

Originally posted by D.A.Bagin View Post
                    Two idiots
                    I disagree. Two guys with a lot of money both really wanted it. Now one could argue that if you were patient enough, you could find a better deal. However, the second highest bidder makes more money in a month than I will make in a lifetime. He is also very busy and doesn't have time to troll the net or go to swaps. I say more power to him. As for him being an idiot, I would bet a buck or two that he could look at what you have done in your life and say "idiot", but he has more class than that.

Comment

You make a good point silentgreyfello....when Otis Chandler's 1911 HD sold for 170 K with buyers fee I couldn't believe my eyes....now a few years later at this Vegas auction a 1911 twin sells for 260K plus buyers fee . The buyer of Chandler's bike was criticized at the time and now he is theoretically 100K to the good. Makes one wonder. For us average folks it's hard to sort out.
                      Ross

Comment

My choice of words was wrong. I do not know any of the bidders on this bike. Whomever was bidding obviously has a very good income to support these kind of numbers and did not get that way by chance. I would be curious to know what made this 1940 motorcycle go where it did? Was there some provenance not known to the masses? I have heard some debate as to whether it was original paint or not, hadn't run in many years. It is not a first or last year bike and the only thing I see is a pre-war maybe op bike that needs a mechanical rebuild. But to go to almost 160 with fees seems a little out of wack. I certainly can understand if the disposable income is there and the time not, and taking a little vacation to Vegas for the bike auction, it just seems a bit off the charts for this particular bike. But hey, not a lot in this hobby makes sense.
                        D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

39 shift gate

Howdy chaps,

So as I posted at Caimag, OP discussions and 41 style timing cover aside, found it odd this machine would have a 39 shift gate. Can one use that on conventional trans or would this much maligned box have to be fitted as well?
                          Attached Files
                          Cheerio,
                          Peter
                          1950 Vincent - A Red Rapide Experience

Comment

Does anyone know who bought the 1911 Harley twin for 260 K plus buyers fee? I thought HD might be interested in a piece like that?
                            Ross

Comment

It would work perfectly on a 39 and up reverser transmission and it would be usable on a regular speed but the neutrals would not line up. The actual gear spacing is the same.

Originally posted by PRG View Post
                              Howdy chaps,

Can one use that on conventional trans or would this much maligned box have to be fitted as well?

Comment

Peter, My friend who was there stated the bike had a 1939 transmission installed. Also for that late of production number the cam cover is correct. They changed mid-year 1940 model from the sandcast (shorter fins) to the diecast.
                                DrSprocket

Comment

Working...
                                X