Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
    got an armpit full of envy!
    The rules would disallow a variable-pitch v-belt pulley on the engine, right?
    So you can't change your ratio?
    Don't know.

joe

Comment

Barber Century Lap - and Cannonball Lap

Here are the results of this years Barber Century Lap and the riders of the Cannonball lap -
      Thanks again for another Great year!! Best start I ever Green Flagged, and BY FALL, the best Checkered flag Ever -
      Thanks for my Support Team -

Jim Cole, Shane Dorton, Scott Byrd, and John Bates - Tech Support
      Ed Dacus, Leslie Cooper, Willard Gargis and Troy Kenney - Safety Team
      George Mueller and Roxanne Spencer - Photography

Hope to see everyone again Next year!!!

2013 Barber Race of the Century Riders

1st – Twin Dale - Walksler - 1912 Indian Twin - #1
      2nd - Twin John - Minifee – 1913 Indian Twin - #3
      1st – Single - Kevin Grubb - 1913 Rudge Multi - #7
      2nd – Single - Paul Ousey – 1913 Harley Single - #11
      Joe Gardella - 1913 Harley Twin - #2
      Dan Fluegeman – 1913 Excelisor - #10
      Jack Wells – Abington King – No Jersey
      Matt Walksler - 1913 Harley Twin - #4 - DNF
      Ronnie Cox – 1913 Harley Single - #8 - DNF

Cannonball Riders – Past and 2014 Riders

Joe Gardella – 1913 Harley
      Buck Carson – 1929 BSA
      Jack Wells - BMW
      John Landstrom - BMW
      Mike Carson – 1924 Harley J
      David Lloyd – 1919 Harley J
      Steve Simpson – 1928 Harley JD
      Jon Neuman – 1926 Harley J
      Jim Petty – 1927 Indian Chief
      Paul Ousey – 1925 Harley JD
      Buzz Kanter – 1929 Harley JDH

David Lloyd
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 1919dave; 10-14-2013, 12:54 PM. Reason: better picture

Comment

Race Start - 2013

Century Lap Start - Barber 2013
        Attached Files

Comment

Great photo's Dave, thanks!

Comment

Here is Joe Account of the 2013 Barber Century Lap - He was in the riders seat and had a Great prespective - Joe was FLYING on lap one!!! Then we heard he was engine down??

Here are his words:

Barber century race was fun and disappointing. My original 1913 magneto proved to be firing a week spark, so a rebuilt loaner magneto was installed at Wheels Thorough Time from Dale's inventory.

Dale's loaner magneto fired a hot spark until moments before race time when it decided to give up the ghost. Dale leaped to my assistance and removed the points cover for a quick visual inspection while Art and I focused on spark plugs. . The bike restarted and ran well just in time for the race.

Paul OZ acted first to the green while Matt immediately captured the lead on his fast 1913 HD. Dale and I followed Matt into the first bend.

My 13 HD was running week behind Dale while Matt's strong running 13 HD was pulling over on the side of the track at about the 1/2 mile mark with fuel flow problems (fuel line plugged with rust). Dale now leading the race I passed him and ran lead for the first of two laps across the start finish line . Alone in front after the first lap all I could think of is lack of power and Dale's screaming Red Skin burning by when my 13 started misfiring. I made it half way around the track limping along until the 13's magneto quite firing spark. A brief pull off the track and inspection reveled the magneto points cover shorting out on the kill button circuit.

With a little luck the 13 re-fired and limped back to the finish line under its own power.

Now pulled into the paddock, cautiously abusing the reproduction points cover to force it into a convex face instead of a concave face for clearance inside, it worked. The 13 was last back onto the track in time for the Cannonballers parade lap with both cylinders firing for the full lap.

Still week on power it appears the cam is either wrong or out of specification for my 1913 61" . With a proper operating magneto my 13 is still to slow for the fast Indian, although I do believe Matt's 13 HD would have been the victor with full fuel flow. My hat off to Dale, great job at the end of the race winning by a feather's length.

Without doubt my 13 is week yet it 13 handled well, ask Buzz C.

Comment

More Pictures

ROC2013 (11).JPGROC2013 (12).JPGROC2013 (13).JPGROC2013 (14).JPGROC2013 (15).JPG

Comment

ROC2013 (16).JPGROC2013 (17).JPG

Comment

Great time, great hospitality. Thanks Confederate Chapter. Check out more Century Lap and Barber pics at

http://www.cherokeeamca.org/gallery.html?item_id=10

Comment

Thanks to all the dedicated and hard working people who helped make this happen. Sure was a lot of fun.
                    Buzz Kanter
                    Classic-Harley.Info Classic Harley History
                    [Classic American Iron Forum Classic Harley Forum
                    [American Iron Magazine Harley Magazine

Comment

I would also like to send out a thanks to the Confederate Chapter. I have partcipated in their bike show several times. Everyone is so nice and very accommodating. Their "Southern Hospitalliy" sets the bar for other chapters.

Dennis Rousseau AMCA#11302

Comment

Working...
                      X