Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Century Lap - Barber Vintage Weekend

Hello,

The Barber Vintage Weekend "Century Lap" is just around the Corner. October 12, 2013. There is still time for anyone with a 1913 or earlier Motorcycle to enter.

So Far - This years early entry Line-up includes:

Dale & Matt Walksler will Tag team the Barber Motorsports Park with a 1912 Indian Twin & a 1913 Harley – Dale has been involved with nearly every one of the ROC events –
    We are happy to see Matt return this year.

Joe Gardella – will return to try and recapture his 1st place title on a 1913 Harley Twin – Joe ran on both of the Cannonball Antique Motorcycle Runs!!

Buck Carson , will return this year riding a 1911 Triumph Single – Buck rode in Class One on the 2012 Cannonball Run.

New Riders this year will include:
    Dan King on a 1913 Dixie Flyer Special, John Landstrom on a 1911 Peugeot single, Kevin Grubb on a 1913 Rudge Multi, and Ronnie Cox on a 1913 Harley Single

Art Farley – could return Riding Grady Ellis’s 1909 Excelsior Single.

Jack Wells – invited back on his 1912 Abbington King Dick

Dwayne McLemore – is invited back on his 1911 Levis 220cc

We are Still hoping to see the Winner of the very 1st Race of the Century, Bruce Linsday – Bruce won the 1st race in 2005

If you are interested in bringing a Motorcycle to the event, please e-mail me davidlloyd44@comcast.net

Please remember, after the race, we are inviting all of the Century Motorcycles to return to the AMCA “Bike Show area” for a display photo and People’s choice Show
    I am looking forward to seeing everyone this year – We want everyone to remember safety First when on the Track – and all riders will have to have D.O.T. helmets while on the Track. Period correct clothing and gear is perfectly fine on the Paddock area.

Thanks Again

David Lloyd - 901-277-7710 mobile
    Newsletter Editor - Confederate Chapter
    Race of the Century Coordinator

David, is there a pre-race inspection? And, do the bikes have to be genuine; i.e. clincher rims, correct year, and make parts, and no visable performance enhancing parts? Or, is it Cannonball rules
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Answers to Questions

Originally posted by exeric View Post
      David, is there a pre-race inspection? And, do the bikes have to be genuine; i.e. clincher rims, correct year, and make parts, and no visable performance enhancing parts? Or, is it Cannonball rules
      Great Questions Eric - We do have a Pre-Race Tech inspection sheet - I have a Tech inspection team and all bikes are inspected just before allowing them on the track - Bikes are required to have Brakes and Clutch.

Since the show on Velocity channel, “What's in the Barn", Dale Walksler and Joe Gardella really exposed the Century Event in one of the episodes. Since then, my phone has gone off like a Christmas tree! We have had many calls to enter the Century event, including having to decline the entry of 3 or 4 direct drive, no brake "Board Tracker” motorcycles this year. No bike can enter the track without brakes.
      One can only imagine a motorcycle with No Brakes or clutch on a 2 1/2 mile elevation changing road course.

We are about to introduce a few changes to this yearly event, which will be announced.
      One major change is the name of the event is now called the Century Lap - We have seen some Great competition over the years. Each year brings more and more horsepower, causing the Barber officials to consider the liability, as speeds get faster and faster. Clincher tires have always been a concern -

Another issue we have to always contend with is where to draw the line concerning original vs. re-pop. It’s a NO brainer for the Timeless Reproduction Motorcycles, or completely fabricated machines, but when are re-popped parts too much?
      Our requirement of 100 year machines has to be original frames, engine cases and restored like original.

This event is really intended for the older motorcycles so that their owners have a place to get them out and expose these incredible antiques to the fans, as they parade around the track. We encourage the singles and belt drive machines.

We also plan to cap the year of entry to 1913 and older motorcycles. Future Barber Vintage Century Lap participants will be 1913 motorcycles and older.
      If we continue to allow larger and faster motorcycles each year, a couple of things will happen: The speeds will increase and place more liability on the actual event and the older singles, belt drive, slow machines, that we really desire to have in this particular event will decline entering.

Comment

Obviously you have given this a lot of thought. From my point of view, events like this should strive to capture what these motorcycles were, and not a revisionists idea of what they COULD be with modern updates. I can understand the concern about clincher tires as I have had a few come off the rim (rider failure). I guess there is no way to keep such an event non-competitive and there is nothing wrong with that, in itself; but if awareness, and exposure of antique motorcycles is the goal, a race may keep many people from considering entering. A lot of old motorcycles would be challenged to huff through one lap and the riders may feel humiliated if the spectators are viewing them as race prepared bikes. Maybe the key is to have a race, and then parade time for pleasure. I didn't mean to put you on the spot David.
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

I was looking forward to running the speedy 1914 Ghost next year. For saftey reasons a 1913 cap on this century event is a good idea.

joe

Comment

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
            I was looking forward to running the speedy 1914 Ghost next year. For saftey reasons a 1913 cap on this century event is a good idea.

joe
            Joe, still need that really fast belt??
            Wish I could be there!

Comment

Joe I will be there to cheer you on but beware...I visited Dale in July and that Indian will have fairy dust sprinkled on it.
              Ross

Comment

Oh, oh Ross.... you spoke up, now we're gonna expect some commentary I hope you all have a blast in Alabama!
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                  Oh, oh Ross.... you spoke up, now we're gonna expect some commentary I hope you all have a blast in Alabama!
                  "Indian will have fairy dust sprinkled on it." Ross, please! Change "fairy" to "angel". .... yooz is an edumacatur, I thought!

Comment

" HE MAN Angel Dust"

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
                    "Indian will have fairy dust sprinkled on it." Ross, please! Change "fairy" to "angel". .... yooz is an edumacatur, I thought!
                    I will be there cheering on the ancient rivalry Indian (DALE) vs Harley (JOE) CO I hope to speak to any AMCA members there and to volunteer some time at the local chapter booth to talk to AMCA members on constructive ideas to improve the club. So look for me when you're there. Cory I will chime in upon my return. PHIL, great seeing you again at the sweltering Davenport.Changed fairy dust to HE MAN ANGEL DUST. 100 year old bikes racing, ya gotta love it.
                    Ross

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
                      Joe, still need that really fast belt??
                      Wish I could be there!
                      Yes what do you have up your sleeve?

joe

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
                        Joe I will be there to cheer you on but beware...I visited Dale in July and that Indian will have fairy dust sprinkled on it.
                        I knew by February 2012 that Dale had a hot running 61" Indian. Running a 49 inch belt drive against him was not a good idea but it was all I had for 1912. This year I will ride a 1913 61" Harley.
                        At Waseon the 13 was put to the test. In its maiden voyage it ran about 40 MPH. I will ask Dale if he will be a good sport and send some of the fairy dust to me for the 13, I will need it.

joe

Comment

This maybe the best race year yet. I'm bringing popcorn.
                          Ross

Comment

Dang it! I was hoping to ride my 1916 Excelsior short coupled big valve roadster there in a few years, it is still a single speed with corbin V band brake. Oh well, by then the 3 speeds would be all over it, so, great idea to cap it out at 1913!

Gene

Comment

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
                              Yes what do you have up your sleeve?

joe
                              got an armpit full of envy!
                              The rules would disallow a variable-pitch v-belt pulley on the engine, right?
                              So you can't change your ratio?

Comment

Working...
                              X